Pillows?

I bought latex pillows at Sears (and unfortunately returned) and our Bed Bath and Beyond also carries them.

Pillow resource:

Sweethome recently did a review on pillows and I think it’s a great article. There are some glaring omissions, such as reviews of better memory foam (they discounted the entire category because overall people are not happy with memory foam), and shredded latex (I think it just flew under their radar). I also wrote a blog about the study that includes my love for buckwheat hull pillows.

Also, I realize that I need to explore shredded latex pillows. It’s possible that they may be the best option for most of my patients.

Sweethome: The Best Bed Pillows

Finding Your Perfect Pillow

Hi jankdc,

Thanks for the links :slight_smile:

I agree that the articles are very informative and well worth reading and I’ve added your post to the list of pillow reference posts here.

Phoenix

I have been searching for a low profile pillow for some time due to always waking with neck strain as a back sleeper on too high a pillow. Most of the time I just end up taking the pillow off the bed and just laying flat on the mattress. I ran across this pillow on Amazon during my mattress search and purchased it in the low profile option, standard size.

Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Shredded Gel Memory Foam Pillow

The first three or four nights I did not like the pillow at all and pushed it aside. A couple nights later I tried it again and found it had mellowed out a bit and felt really good on my neck and head. Even turning over on my side I can scrunch it up and reshape the foam pieces into a supportive profile. It may not be the “perfect” pillow but it is the best I have found in a long time and at a reasonable price. If I get a year out of it, at $26 I consider that an acceptable value ratio. I did not notice any odor at all.

Hi Phoenix,

I recently bought a Flobeds 100% natural latex vzone mattress and reported in previous posts a review of the mattress which I am very, very satisfied with.

However, I find that now I have starteds sleeping on my side at night but ending up sometime during the night moving to my back. If I woke up when this happened, I could re-fluff my shredded latex pillow to flatten it out somewhat so that my chin doesn’t point downward…but I don’t, thereby now causing me to wake up with neck and upper shoulder pains from the nights that this now occurs.

So, I’d now like to find a pillow that works well AUTOMATICALLY when I sleep on either my back or side and could occasionally be used on the rare times that I sleep on my stomach. I fully realize that this is going to be difficult to do.

After reading all the posts I could on pillows, I’m leaning towards trying a zoned 100% natural latex pillow. My first instinct was to purchase the Z by Malouf zoned 100 % Natural Talalay latex pillow listed on Amazon in the high lift plush model…I believe I read this is the same pillow you have. However, it looks like the majority of the new reviews have recently progressively deteriorated… in terms of overall satisfaction as well as consistency of the product. Do you know if they have recently changed manufacturers…or any thing else that might be attributing to these newer reviews?

I’ve also research similar latex zoned pillows from Flobeds and Sleep EZ as well as one I just found from the Well Living Shop

http://welllivingshop.com/pillows/talalay-pillows-multi.html .

Do you have any recommendations regarding these four pillows or can point me to any specific reviews of any of them?

I’m really hoping that I can find ONE 100% Natural Latex pillow that allows me to switch positions while I sleep and doesn’t require that I switch between two different pillows or causes me to have re-adjust a singular pillow during the night.

Any assistance you can give me is (as always) sincerely appreciated.

Best,

Deputy Dawg

Hi DeputyDawg,

No … I don’t have any specific information about them.

Unfortunately … there are too many individual preferences involved in a pillow choice for me to make any specific pillow recommendations although there is more general information about pillows in the pillow thread here which may be helpful.

Phoenix

Ah pillows! What a wonderfully (annoying) search they can be!

I’ve always been a feather/down pillow person myself. but over the years I’ve tried out different forms of fiber fill, latex, memory foam, etc. The pure memory foam/latex pillows never feel right to me. Just a little to firm. I love the feel of a nice fluffy feather/down pillow. My current love is the Pacific Coast Double DownAround® Medium Pillows. Seems about perfect for me, but I’m tempted by the pillows below now.

My better half is another story. She’s a stomach sleeper and we’ve tried latex, fiber fill, and even a soft version of my pillow. None seem to work quite right for her. The soft double down around doesn’t have enough density to hold together, it tends to push the feathers & down away from her head now when she lays down. This weekend while out testing mattresses, we found a new pillow that she is very interested in. The Brookstone® BioSense Memory Foam Classic Pillow with Better Than Down® Cover. She really liked the memory foam core with the fluffy surround cover.

We also ran into a similar pillow at Mattress Firm that was priced a bit more, but I didn’t catch the brand/model and it doesn’t seem to be on the website.

Brooklyn Bedding sells another one that looks very similar as well, the iPedic Classic Pillow

Hi osahar,

I couldn’t agree more :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing some of your thoughts and research and I hope you have the chance to let us know what you end up choosing and your feedback (from both of you) when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it as well.

Phoenix

Ok, so took the first plunge of the “new bed” journey. We ordered a pair of the BioSense 2™ Classic Pillow for All Sleepers. The “2” model comes with a 100% tencel fabric cover to cool it a bit more (we stopped at a Brookstone store on Sunday and tried out both models) plus it adds another natural ingredient, peppermint, to the odor control ingredients in the original version (green tea, charcoal, and seed oil).

If anyone is looking, the website lists a great sale on them right now. Buy 1, get one 50% off. The online cart doesn’t do it correctly, but I called customer service and they honored that deal at the current sale price. So $69.99 and $34.99. Plus free shipping. Great deal, and I can’t wait to be sleeping on the new pillows!

Now to decide if I should get a set of pillow protectors for them. I’ve never used one, and the idea of a waterproof version would probably be a good idea as long as it doesn’t have that “crinkly” sound when you are laying on it. I found these (White Mountain Textiles Stretch Knit Dust Mite & Bed Bug Pillow Covers from Phoenix’s reference thread on mattress protectors. Anyone have one they’d recommend?

Hi Osahar,

I had a bad experience with a good waterproof but breathable membrane pillow protector. In short, if using on a ‘poofy’ pillow, being one that compresses a bunch and then expands a bunch, the waterproof membrane significantly reduces the airflow, and significantly changes the behavior of the pillow. Basically, the pillow becomes slow to deflate, and even slower to inflate. I was trying on a down pillow - worst idea ever. I even tried not zippering it up, but that only slightly improved the situation.

It will certainly depend on the pillow… But my experience with a down pillow and a waterproof membrane pillow protector was among my worst ideas ever :wink:

Thanks for the input DN! I haven’t seen much on people’s experience with them. Maybe I’ll try to find a water resistant cotton type of protector. Keep out the mites, etc., but still be breathable and keep most stuff off of the pillow.

Hi Osahar,

Like dn, I personally would also would tend to avoid the membrane type protectors with pillows (I like my pillows cooler and more breathable). I would tend towards a cotton dust mite protector if dust mites are a concern which can help absorb moisture (although I wouldn’t call them water resistant as much as moisture absorbing) which along with the pillowcase would be as much as I would want to affect the “feel” of a pillow I liked.

The one you linked also has a waterproof/semi breathable membrane and is also a polyester fabric (not cotton).

Phoenix

Ok, the pillows arrived on Friday!

First chance to use them was last night. They are a little firm still at this point, the memory foam core needs to break in a little I think. The tencel cover is a nice feel, and does help a little with cooling. It didn’t seem to be as warm as my previous dual-core feather/down pillow. I’m hoping as a little time passes that it softens up like the display model.

So I currently have a tempurpedic traditional fill pillow that I like, but it isn’t very durable and quite expensive. Its a memory foam filled pillow, so I was hoping there could be some suggestions to similar, but better quality pillows. It is shaped like a regular pillow, which I like because I’m not a fan of the curved pillows. I have it in soft, but that the middle softness for this pillow. Hope someone can point me in the right direction

I thought I would report on the new shredded latex pillow I bought from Cozy Pure. It’s the Pure Performance Pillow, which has a zipper so you can add/remove the latex to your liking. I liked the concept of shredded latex over a solid piece, as I am pretty fussy about pillow loft and wanted the ability to adjust as needed. I had tried some shredded latex pillows at a store and while I liked the concept, they seemed kind of lumpy/uneven to me, probably due to inconsistencies in the size if the latex pieces inside. Since the Cozy Pure pillow has evenly sized shredded latex “noodles,” I took the risk that the unevenness would not be a problem.

The pillow arrived very fully stuffed. They certainly did not skimp on the fill. I removed quite a bit of it, and still ended up with a substantial pillow. So far, I am quite happy with it. It is supportive and firm in a good way, but also soft-- I know that sounds contradictory but I don’t know how else to describe it. It lets me sink in, but is not mushy like down and some of the synthetic pillows I have used. I like the springiness and resilience of the latex. So far I believe this is the best pillow I have owned. It is not cheap, but I took advantage of the sale they are having now. I had not read much about this pillow before I bought it, so I wanted to add my thoughts here.

Hi sas95,

Thanks for the feedback about your Cozy Pure lanoodles pillow … I appreciate it :).

I also happen to like their lanoodles pillows and sleep on one myself (although I don’t have the customizable version) and I know that some of the other forum members that have purchased it like it very much as well.

Phoenix

I’ve been sleeping on one of those Pure Performance Pillows from Cozy Pure for several months now - close to a year - and it’s my all time favorite pillow. I never thought I’d find anything I liked better than my well stuffed down pillow in a tencel cover, but it’s been sadly neglected since getting the LaNoodle pillow. Actually, I liked it so much that I bought a 2nd one on sale because I was afraid something might happen to the first one I bought and I never want to be without one. I too had to remove some of the noodles from them to get them to my notion of “perfect” - which was fine with me since it meant I also ended up with a 3rd pillow using all the noodles I’d taken out of the other pillows.

Is pillow firmness entirely subjective or can you deduce a “correct” firmness based on your style & statistics? I’m looking at the Z by Malouf latex pillows. I’m a mostly side-sleeper with broad shoulders and a medium latex mattress - from that I can conclude that chances are I’ll be more comfortable with a high loft pillow. But I’m not sure whether to get plush or firm?

I do think it is very subjective, but I was in a similar situation nearly two years ago, and ended up with the Z high loft pillow in the firm configuration. I tried the plush but felt that I “sunk in” too far. The firm pillow held me head in what felt like a more natural position. It is also dependent on the mattress. When on a latex mattress, I feel I need the extra height. On an inner-spring mattress, I would use a lower-loft pillow.

It is two years later, and it still works very well.

John

Hi JohnnyO,

It would be a combination of subjective preferences (how a pillow feels) along with more objective requirements (keeping your head and neck in good alignment in all your sleeping positions) which would vary based on the type of mattress you have and the body type and sleeping style of each person.

While you would be able to choose a pillow that in very general terms was “in the range” based on specs, this may still not turn out be a good choice when it comes to the specific needs and preferences of each person and the only way to know this would be to sleep on in.

I would agree that the high loft would have the best chance of success but I don’t know which of the two firmness options would work best for you. I also have a Z by Malouf and am mostly a side sleeper with average-wide shoulders and a softer mattress and I chose the high loft soft because I don’t like firmer pillows and it also works well for me although I currently sleep on a shredded latex pillow which is softer yet.

Phoenix