Pillowtop vs Mattress topper

I’m buying a regular spring mattress medium-firm. Is it better to get it with the pillowtop attached, or with a removable pillow top that I can replace later on? The pillow top attached comes on both sides so when I flip the mattress its the same on both sides.

If I buy a topper, which one should I get? One with or without latex? I need something that doesn’t get hot

Hi ae1265,

The choice really isn’t between a pillowtop versus a topper, but choosing a mattress that has a comfort you desire in a completed product, versus one that is slightly firmer than you might like and requires the addition of a separate topper to achieve that comfort.

“Pillowtop” itself isn’t a comfort designation, but a manner of construction. The comfort of the upper levels of the mattress is determined by the materials placed within and beneath the pillowtop chamber itself.

As long as all of the materials are durable and of a high quality, and you enjoy the comfort, there’s no reason to avoid a completed mattress, pillowtop or not. Your should make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to, which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

Because of the uncertainty involved with purchasing a topper where you can’t test the combination in person … a good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would also make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the topper and any costs involved just in case a topper you choose also doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

You can also read my thoughts about buying a mattress/topper combination that you can’t test in person in post #2 here. As you can see it’s not something I would generally suggest either in terms of risk or quality/value unless there were no better options available to you.

As for temperature, there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material. Latex will tend to be the most breathable foam, followed by polyfoam and memory foam.

Phoenix