planning to purchase a tuft and needle

Hey all,

I’m kind on information overload mode right now from this place so sorry I haven’t read everything and this post may end up being redundant/useless.

Anyhow, I’m kind of in a hurry to buy a mattress because I feel there are deals now for labor day. But after reading some stickies here, I realize I am way under prepared to buy a mattress, I would need a few more weeks of research!

My plan is to buy the tuft and needle queen and get $100 from amex and then email T&N to get discount from here. My questions are:

1. Will tuft and needle have a discount on labor day?
  2. Is the 100 day trial real? In other words is it easy to get a refund if I don’t like it.
  3. IS the 100 day trial useful? In other words will the bed only have issues after 100 days?

Here is some background.
I’m not sure what my current mattress is. I got it at bloomingdales furniture outlet about 3 to 4 years ago. I don’t remember what I paid but I am guessing around $400. It’s pretty firm and was comfortable for the first few years. But now there are visible indents of where we sleep and i’ve started developing back pain. This mattress you can’t flip over, but you can switch top and bottom, which we have done every 6 months. I feel like the indents dont let me sleep in a good position and must be the cause of my back pain.

Naively, I thought I was getting a good mattress at a discount because it was an outlet. But since I’ve heard of $3k+ mattress lately, I am starting to think I got a cheapo mattress and thats why it didnt last. So I’m looking for a better mattress so I can live without back pain. Part of me wants to do research for a month before I buy anything, but part of me thinks that the 100 day trial will beat any research I can do. Also part me of thinks until I spend the $3k+ I won’t get the painless sleep. Not sure which part to follow right now. Any insights?

Hi sdmat,

You can see some comments about the type of “fake sales” that happen on holidays in the guidelines here and in post #5 here. I would treat these types of sales as a red flag because good quality/value mattresses are available every day of the year from better retailers or manufacturers that don’t need “fake sales” to create a false sense of urgency.

Probably not (they don’t need fake sales to have good value).

Yes … the trial period for all of the “simplified choice” mattresses (see post #2 here) is real and legitimate and I haven’t heard of any issues with returning a mattress with any of them including Tuft & Needle of course.

There is some good information about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

The reason for a trial period is so that you can test a mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom to make sure that it’s a good match for you in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and make sure that you will sleep well on it so when you can’t test a mattress in person then a trial period and return/exchange policy is very useful.

Outside of PPP … the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability and the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that a retailer or manufacturer you are considering is willing and able to provide you with the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress before making any purchase.

In other words … a trial period won’t tell you anything about the quality and durability of the materials in a mattress or how long you will sleep well on the mattress. You can see some comments about the quality and durability of the materials in the Tuft & Needle mattress in the previous link to the “simplified choice” mattresses.

Phoenix

Being in a hurry to buy a mattress may prove to be the worst decision of your life. Please, follow the guidelines given in the tutorial and take time to make an informed decision.

Quality mattresses designed for you and sold by reputable dealers concerned about your welfare don’t need holiday/year end sales to bring customers to the store.

The trial period is a generous feature, but I don’t recommend using it to test mattresses. Why? It increases the price for you and others. More research and real time testing will bring you to the right mattress.

In my experience, a quality built $2,500 mattress that meets your support needs and provides good sleep is much more important and practical than budgeting for a $600-$800 mattress that is built for every other Joe in town.

A $2,500 mattress that provides 10 years of adequate support and comfortable sleep costs $.68 (that’s 68 cents!) per night.

I’ve been researching various mattresses online, and have also been drawn to the reviews and price of the T&N. In my case, I would be replacing a hardside waterbed that my wife and I have shared for approx. 20 years (with a mattress replacement or two in between).

I’d like to use the T&N mattress with the existing water frame - we’ve got tight quarters around the bed, and the bookcase headboard is a godsend. Is this a bad idea?

Hi john66,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so your questions and any replies wouldn’t get mixed in with another members questions.

There are several potential issues with replacing a waterbed with a regular mattress as a waterbed “insert”

First of all I would make sure that your waterbed frame is a suitable size for the mattress you are purchasing and that the mattress doesn’t fit too tightly inside the waterbed frame so that there is some space around the mattress when it is inside the frame and there is enough room around the mattress to put your hands in between the mattress and the bedframe to add sheets and bedding and to make your bed. In many cases this may require a custom size that is a little smaller than your waterbed frame.

Second is that if the mattress fits tightly inside the bedframe there there would be a greater risk of moisture and humidity retention with a foam mattress inside a waterbed frame that doesn’t allow any airflow around and underneath the mattress so it could add to the risk of developing mold, mildew, or dust mites (see post #10 here). This could be more important if there are also other risk factors involved in your sleeping environment.

I would also make sure that your mattress is thick enough so that it’s higher than the waterbed side rails so that it’s easier to get in and out of bed or sleep on the edge of the mattress without feeling the hard sides of the bedframe.

Phoenix

Thank you - these are some very good points you raise! Time for me to break out the tape measure and confirm some dimensions, for starters…as well as check the link you provided.

John