Platform Bed for Latex Mattress/10" or 13" Select Sleep Mattress

:silly: Would this metal platform bed be a workable option for a latex mattress if we put a layer of pegboard over the metal platform grid to provide better mattress support - or would there not be enough support for the pegboard, either? I know latex likes to breathe, so I don’t want to just shove some plywood on there. Hoping to go with the cheapest bed option possible with the bulk of the budget going to a better (latex) mattress:

Sleep Sync Arch Flex Black.

Also, do you feel a 10" Sleep EZ Select Sleep Mattress would be a good choice for 6’1", 240 lb male (large framed, but also some extra lbs around the middle), or do we need to go with a Select Sleep 13"? He’s predominantly a side sleeper but also sleeps on his stomach at times. Would we be better off sticking with all Dunlop Latex layers, or go with a top layer of blended (70% synthetic latex/30% natural) Talalay latex? I know the blended Talalay lasts longer than 100% natural.

Would he want medium blended talalay/medium dunlop/firm dunlop?

If we should go 13", it’s 4 layers, so what might be a good combo there?

Thanks!

Hi kittykatmax,

[quote]:silly: Would this metal platform bed be a workable option for a latex mattress if we put a layer of pegboard over the metal platform grid to provide better mattress support - or would there not be enough support for the pegboard, either? I know latex likes to breathe, so I don’t want to just shove some plywood on there. Hoping to go with the cheapest bed option possible with the bulk of the budget going to a better (latex) mattress:

Sleep Sync Arch Flex Black.[/quote]

The pegboard isn’t particularly breathable either and it will tend to bend and warp over time so the combination certainly wouldn’t be my first choice but I suppose it would do in a pinch if you really didn’t want to spend any more on a support system. There are also some suggestions in post #10 here that may be helpful.

[quote]Also, do you feel a 10" Sleep EZ Select Sleep Mattress would be a good choice for 6’1", 240 lb male (large framed, but also some extra lbs around the middle), or do we need to go with a Select Sleep 13"? He’s predominantly a side sleeper but also sleeps on his stomach at times. Would we be better off sticking with all Dunlop Latex layers, or go with a top layer of blended (70% synthetic latex/30% natural) Talalay latex? I know the blended Talalay lasts longer than 100% natural.

Would he want medium blended talalay/medium dunlop/firm dunlop?

If we should go 13", it’s 4 layers, so what might be a good combo there?[/quote]

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

SleepEZ is one of the members here which means that I think highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. All of their mattresses use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them so they would certainly make a great quality/value choice.

The choice between different types and blends of latex is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix