Platform Bed for Latex Mattress - Slat Distance

I just purchased a mattress from Foam Sweet Foam. Cal. King 12" with Soft Talay top and then Dunlop Medium, Firm and X-Firm as the other layers.

I am looking to replace my current bed, as I do not think it is up to supporting the weight of the mattress and it is old. I am looking at beds from Room and Board. Their beds are platform style beds and use solid metal slats for the foundation. I was told by their customer service that the slats on a Cal. King are spaced 4.5" apart, they are 2 inches wide and 1 inch thick.
Here is an example of one of the beds: Click for Room and Board Parsons Bed There are supposed to be 12 metal slats for this size bed.

Would this be sufficient for the mattress? I know you recommend no less than 3 inch gaps on this site.

If I keep my existing bed, I will need to get a new foundation as I have a box spring currently and I don’t believe it can support the bed. What would be the best type of foundation for this mattress? After spending $3000, I’d like to not spend too much more.

Hi malibujason,

I think you’ve answered your own question :). For a latex mattress I would suggest slats that are no more than 3" apart (and less would be better).

There is more information about foundations and other support systems that would generally be most suitable for different types of mattresses and some good sources for each of them in the foundation post here.

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to any comments or feedback you have the chance to share when you receive it.

Phoenix