plb builds

Hello, I’m curious about the PLB models. Are their builds a set construction? I saw a post Phoenix made here detailing the layers. So for instance if store abc carried the PLB Nutrition model, and store xyz carried the Nutrition, they’re the same layering scheme?

I finally got a chance to try out some latex mattresses and it set aside many of my fears of the unknown. Having never experienced latex, I just kept picturing a large marshmallow or extremely springy jello type contraption with a need to go super firm to keep from sinking in. Most are firmer than I imagined. After some trial on them, I think I’m not overly sensitive or picky to the differences either. I compared the PLB Nutrition and Pamper to a Savvyrest model they had and the difference between the talalay and dunlop wasn’t near as night and day as I’d imagined. Just out of curiosity, I even laid on a couple bare layers - 3" medium dunlop over 3" soft talalay sitting directly on a slatted platform. Not what I’d ever consider for a bed, too soft and too thin, but surprisingly once laying down it held my 200lbs up. Thought for sure I’d go right through most of it. Impressive stuff.

The reason I’m asking about the PLB construction is trying a DIY approach and initially I had concerns that a 6" dunlop 31-35-31 core wouldn’t be firm enough. The Savvy model I tried just said it was soft/med/firm (I know Savvy’s ilds are pretty obscure), but the Nutrition’s base is only 36 ild talalay and was plenty firm, so 31-36 in dunlop should be as well - (and unlikely to be much firmer than the medium/firm layers of the Savvy). Also trying to get an idea for surface feel since even though the Nutrition felt pretty good, it was a bit firm on top for me where the Pamper felt a bit better on top. Seeing from the specs posted I linked to above from Phoenix, this makes sense since it’s a difference between 21 and 27ild talalay, the 27 on top was just a little too firm for me. In fact I think the Nutrition might’ve been a bit too firm overall had it been on a solid/slatted base. The one I laid on had some sort of special foundation which I found out was essentially a hard slatted foundation with the addition of some extra latex over it beneath the mattress which gave the combined setup more the type of feel I’d expect from an active box spring. This also gave me an idea of just how much you can feel the difference in foundations clear to the top since the models without the latex covered slats underneath were more ‘solid’ feeling. Since I’m leaning toward dunlop or talalay over dunlop, while testing the Savvy (all dunlop) I made sure it was sitting on plain slats the way my mattress will be to make sure it will feel similar.

Hi brass,

Yes … they would be the same mattress.

It’s good to see you had a chance to try some latex mattresses so you have a better reference point. The combination of softness and support that is typical of latex can be quite surprising for many people.

The PLB latex foundations have an extra 4" of latex on top and this can certainly make a difference (similar to having a latex mattress which had 4 extra inches of latex in the mattress). There is more about the effects of thickness in post #14 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix, thank you for the reply. I know the diy route is less predictable, but it helps at least knowing that the consideration I had in mind for firmness for the core is similar to others I tried. Fortunately I don’t have any specific medical conditions that make me sensitive to slight variations which may make a diy approach more successful for me. Both the Nutrition all talalay and Savvy all dunlop were what I would consider comfortable. They did feel different and now that you mentioned the PLB foundation has an extra 4" of latex it’s easy to see where the extra ‘cush’ came from. I couldn’t find anything on the PLB site regarding their foundations so thank you for that info.

Hi brass,

If there are differences in your DIY mattress from the mattress you are using as a reference then they can certainly be unpredictable but if you use the same type of materials in the same layer thicknesses and the same firmness levels and use a similar cover then the odds are good that you would end up with a mattress that is very similar. The more changes you make to the design of a mattress you are using as a reference then the more unpredictable the results would be so with a DIY the most effective approach is usually to stay as close as you can to the design you are trying to “match”.

Phoenix