PLB Harmony vs. Northwest Bedding Puretex Latex EuroTop

Hi Phoenix,
Thanks so very much for being my partner is this stressful purchase. I need a soft bed for chronic back pressure point pain. I’m comparing 2 beds:

Pure Latex Bliss - Harmony model
3" 15 ILD natural latex w/ActiveFusion temperature control Gel (sounds like a blend? is it? as you say a blend is better)
6" 40 ILD Oeko-Tex Standard 100 Certified Bonded foam core mixed w/Latex (don’t know the weight; have a call into them)
Cover - gel fused to fabric (vague but all I know); all PLB mattress covers read the same including the $4000 Beautiful model

Northwest Bedding - Puretex Latex Euro Top
4" 19 ILD Talalay 70/30 blended natural/synthetic
6" 30 ILD Bioflex Foam Core - 2.1 lb
1" 36 ILD 3 lb. foam
Cover - tencel

I couldn’t get into your website this AM for about an hour and I almost had a heartattack!! I felt so darn alone! Wishing you the best of New Years and health and joy in 2014.

Do you see any concerns in either bed which should make me select one over the other if I regard them both equal in PPP.

Julie Ward

Hi julieward,

The website has had a few outages today as the hosting provider had some issues with a number of their servers (including the one that TMU uses) but it seems that they’ve fixed the problems now.

These are all good quality materials and there are no “weak links” in the mattress. You can read more about their bonded foam core in post #6 here and it’s also a good quality material.

The Active Fusion fast response is what Pure Latex Bliss calls Talalay GL fast response (see here) and is blended Talalay latex with phase change gel added to it to make it a little more temperature regulating (although Talalay latex is already a more breathable foam than other foam types). It’s also a good quality material.

This also uses all good quality materials and there are no weak links in this mattress either. The Talalay latex is a blend of 30% natural and 70% synthetic latex. The Bioflex is polyfoam and 2.1 lbs is a good quality and durable base layer. The 3 lb polyfoam on the bottom is a very high quality material.

You can read more about the different types of latex in post #6 here but blended Talalay latex (regular or Talalay GL) is a good quality and durable material and both both would make good choices. Of course it’s important to make sure you do some careful and objective testing on both mattresses to decide which one is the best match for you in terms of PPP which is the most important part of any mattress choice. I would also make sure that you “bounce” a little on the PLB in your normal sleeping positions to make sure that you are comfortable with the transition between the softness of the comfort layers and the firmness of the support core underneath it. The layers in the NW bedding mattress have a little more gradual transition between them.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing.

I hope you have a great New Year as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix