please advise My fiance is 300 lbs and we are about to change beds

Forum any help would be great

we are about to buy a latex tallaly 3 inches and medium firm foam of 5in in queen bed so my husband who is obese can move in bed ‘’
It is called dorimer in alberta any one have experience with the company?

He cant movein the tempur …it is called the latex dream bed can anyone advise ?

Tried full latex too firm .we have latex topper california berkly queen but i am concerned wiht mixing foam on bootm of latex?

however tempur is foam right

please advise

thanks

Hi suziQ,

Welcome back.

For someone in a higher BMI range, the key will be finding componentry that will be of appropriate quality for your specific situation, which will then give you the best chance at have a successful comfort life, so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components. Those in a higher BMI range want to be especially prudent in the choice of their components. For those in a higher BMI range, there is more information about selecting a mattress in the durability guidelines here. Specifically, if your BMI is 30 or higher:

For the polyfoam core I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher.

All latex would generally be a durable material, but you may wish to avoid something “ultra plush” to assist with a higher BMI and also to make repositioning in bed easier.

Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

You’d want to find out the ILD (softness) of the Talalay latex in the upper layer of the mattress you’re considering, and then you’d want to know the density of the polyfoam being used in the 5" polyfoam core.

One concern I would have with a higher BMI would be to make sure that there is enough comfort material overall, as that can be more adaptable for heavier weights and multiple sleeping positions. It will compress from softer to firmer more gradually which means that there is more “range” of compression without the mattress becoming too firm for heavier weights (or parts of the body). I’d have a concern if the mattress you’re considering would have enough material overall for your husband, so you’d definitely want him to test the item in person with you.

I believe you are referring to Dormir Bed & Foam in Calgary. They offer a wide range of foams, and you’d want to check with them about the specifics of any mattress (such as the Latex Dream) you’re considering. They should be able to provide you very detailed information, as they are very familiar with latex and polyfoam, and I’d seek their advice for something appropriate for someone in a higher BMI range. They don’t list the specifications of the Latex Dream on their web site. If you find out the specifications and post them back here I’ll be happy to comment upon them.

It is true that is can be more difficult for people to reposition on products using memory foam in the uppermost layers, as memory foam has very low resilience (rebound or "springiness), and there’s really not much you can do to change that, as it is the nature of almost all memory foam to “behave” in that manner. Latex and firmer high-density and high-resiliency polyfoam will display better resilience and will be much easier for someone to reposition upon.

Latex is available in many different levels of plushness, so it sounds as if you tried something that overall used layers that were too firm for your particular preference. The fact that the all-latex mattress you tested was too firm wasn’t because it was an “all-latex” configuration, but because the latex that was being used was using latex that was firmer than what you desire and/or in a layering combination that was inappropriate for your preference.

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand what you’re stating/asking here. If you concern is with placing a latex topper on top of a latex mattress or one that uses a latex/polyfoam combination, that is actually something that is common, but it would come down to your own personal comfort preference if the combination met your needs. If you’re considering placing the latex on top of your memory foam mattress, it will modify the surface comfort and conformation a bit, but more than likely if it I a very plush topper it will still be difficult for your husband to reposition.

Tempurpedic mattresses are generally built using polyfoam base support cores (some are now using innersprings) and then on top of that are other polyfoam and memory foam layers.

Phoenix

Thank you for your reply. So I have read your info on latex and have got the ild of the latex talallay it is 24 .one if their beds is made of top layer 3 inches latex -next layer is memory foam 2 inches of 5 pound weight bottom layer is foam of 2.2 to make up 10 inch bed .this bed is softer than the other which is 4 inches of 24 ild of latex and the rest foam. The latter is bouncier but not enough pressure relief on arm for my guy . So what do you think of these options
1—buy the. First bed w memory foam as second layer but add 1 inch latex to make 4 inches in top and 2 in memory foam middle then core of 2.2 foam -this way my guy won’t sink to memory foam layer? My question. Is will it make the bed firmer with an inch more of latex?
-or buy the bed as is and use California Berkeley 2 in latex topper on top ? Which will make a 12 inch bed
-third option buy the latex 4 in and foam 6 inches and then add ca Berkeley topper to help w pressure points ?
-also can I ask purpose of 2 inch memory foam below 3 in latex it definitely made bed softer . So he likes that but we are concerned he will sink thru latex to memory foam layer as he is big in midsection.?
Of the two beds the one w memory foam offers more pressure relief and he is still able to move . But sank a bit so we are hoping adding one inch latex will help?
This bed will work well in adjustable as it is just softer.
-we prefer not to have to use the topper if possible as it could slide.
Do you agree one more inch is helpful or would it firm up the latex more?
-lastly he is dying in the Tempur as he has arthritis and can’t move in the night -makes sense -he can’t really get out of the bed well without using the frame .
-the latex bed without memory foam is quite springy but firmer and less pressure relief -
—he does not sink as much in this bed but it also will not work as well on adjustable .
So he likes the memory foam one w 3 inch latex top -we just don’t want it to be too firm by adding a one in layer of latex -then it is custom bed. So if you could shed some light on these issues we would know and can purchase bed asap ?

Hi SuziQ,
My name is Gabe I am the owner of a mattress factory that makes mattresses the old fashioned way. No foam, all cotton tufted mattresses that last. We give our customers 20 year warranty’s. We make box springs that actually have a spring in it, not just a foundation made out of wood and cardboard. www.donsmattress.com is our website. Feel free to contact me anytime. My info is on the website.

Gabe why woul dyou troll my post ?
You can see we have an adjustable with no need for a spring bed.I fyou have a bed htat fits on an adjustable then that makes sense but a spring one?

No thank you .I am interested in what phoenix has to say about the latex bed .

yikes Gabe i looked at your website …and that is ok i guess but i already got suckered for a cotton type mattress ,thousands of dollars didnt relive pressure points at all nor did it owrk on an adjustable …

Hi suziQ,

Thanks for the details on the items you are considering.

Item #1
3" 24 ILD Talalay latex
2" 5 lb memory foam
5" 2.2 lb polyfoam support core

Item #2
4" 24 ILD Talalay latex
6" 2.2 lb polyfoam support core

He would still sink into the memory foam layer, but adding the extra 1" of latex will provide a bit more “resistance” in the upper comfort layers. The extra foam really won’t make the mattress feel “firmer”, as you’re using more of the same style of foam and the foam that you’re using generally wouldn’t be considered “firm”.

I don’t know the specifications of this topper, but my concern would be with someone having a high BMI creating too many soft comfort layers that can negatively impact alignment.

The purpose of any foam layer in the design is what the designer is desiring in the overall creation of comfort. The memory foam will allow for a softer deeper transition layer from the latex to the memory foam, but I would have the same concern you do for too many plush comfort layers. Did you ask the opinion of the people at Dormir?

Why do you say the latex would not work as well on the adjustable bed base? Was there something else in the design you didn’t mention? Latex works very well on power foundations, just like memory foam.

Overall, I can’t tell if something will feel “too firm” to you or your husband. That can only be accomplished through your own personal testing. Wasn’t there a 1" latex layer that Dormir was able to add to the top of the mattress you were considering for you to test out?

Phoenix

The dorimer people just said go with what is comfortable. They were no too accomodating no prices dispalyed on beds and no components displayed either -the sales guy just says what it is made of,I am not completley sure if foam is 2lb but know latex is 24

2- the bottom of bed is poly foam remember? not full latex it is a firm foam .but should work on adjustable just not as well as the softer memory foam addition which uses less poly for support and less foam on bottom for support.

3-yes i agree he would sink in more layers but after being in a tempur and having arthritis and being crumpled in tempur it will be hard for him to have straight alighnment —he is NOT in good shape-that will hurt a bit -good alignment with the bed without memory foam layer but he loses pressure relief on arms

4- he seemed to sink more in the one with memeory foam the other was bouncy -good support

5- we are probably going to buy this bed as he needs something now --the firmer one with bounce and decent alignement --no tempur

6- I dont know what else to do ,as he is in pain everytime wakes up

7 any advice on buying the firmer bouncier latex with good alighnment or buy the softer one with less foam support on bottom and hope for the best? if buy firmer latex one our topper is very soft and could provide some pressure relief ,it is very very soft latex .Could that not work for temorary relief until he gets used to being aligned.?
8- the bed is non refundable - I checked your online suggestions too and the tis very hard to buy a bed online

any ideas here?

Thanks in advance ,the other otion is edmonton where they use energia as core and 18ild latex very soft .
but no delivery from edmonton .
The bed form dorimer is 6 inched support foam and 4 inches latex top …very bouncy quite supportive .

sorry had to clarify .

Forgot price ,2000 for bed with memory foam
1800 for bed with just latex and foam

and the bedseller in edmonton 2700 .
these beds are not refundable-no trial periods.

alos i have lost the canadian online seller you had posted several .cannot find it on your site any help with this?
thanks so much

Hi suziQ,

You mentioned 2.2 lb polyfoam in your other post, so that’s the assumption I was using.

Yes, I am aware of that, as that is the information that you provided and that I reposted. Polyfoam support cores work well on adjustable bed bases. Polyfoam support cores are what memory foam mattresses use and “hybrid” latex mattresses often use, and these are fine for power base use.

I’m sorry for your husband’s health issues, but only you both can determine what might work best for him. Sometimes in specific situations people choose surface plushness over alignment to meet their very specific needs.

Unfortunately, with so many health issues, I don’t know how much of a difference a mattress will make, but something that uses more supportive comfort materials (like the latex) and more breathable (also like the latex) can help with the repositioning and temperature issues you mentioned. But any type of softer material will tend to insulate a person more, and can still tend to sleep warmer.

I wouldn’t be able to predict or choose what mattress might work best for your husband, especially with so many specific and individual health issues. I can only help differentiate between the products you are mentioning.

You may be referring to the information in this post.

Phoenix

Phoenix thank you .That all makes sense .
I wasmade aware of berkley ergonomics latex bed ,queen its called copenhagen ?
I have a topper of theirs which is great .
the bed retails ofr 4500 . up here and appraently quite soft yet supportive.

Can I find a review of berkley latex bed on your site? particularly the copenhagen ?
thank you for your knowlege ,much appreciated.

Hi sizuQ,

The Berkeley Ergonomics Copenhagen is a 2" - 6" - 2" Talalay latex combination with the core having a 7-zone system, and is made with Radium’s 100% natural Talalay that is Cradle To Cradle Gold certified. This would be good quality and durable material.

This mattress would provide a more resilient material for ease of movement, but whether or not it would be soft enough for you and your husband’s needs would come down to your own personal testing. The Mattress and Sleep Company, a site member here, does offer that mattress, so maybe there is a location near where you live to try it out in person.

Phoenix

thank you ,will check it out!

Hi suziQ,

Good luck!

Phoenix

Ok Phoenix ,you are so helpful .We purchased the LATEX DREAM FROM DORIMER which is 10 inch bed.

Top is 24 ILD talalay latex 4 inches
Middle is a 3 lb poly foam but "cut " so as to have more give. AS Dorimer states.
bottom layer is 3 inches 2 lb firm foam.

Here is the result .My husband sunk thru the latex hit the mid foam and lost support -hence lower back pain.

To get by until we can get he mattress reconfigured,we put 4 in Dunlop wrapped in cotton and wool on TOP of the 4 inch latex and of course acheived some support but also too soft.That makes it a 14 inch bed .which is fine of adjustable but not for husband who is not in alignment. But close to comfort and much less mid back pain.

My question is this. Tomorrow Dorimer is willing to redo the bed and put in firmer foam .However i have deduced that will not help as much as using the 4 inch dunlop 28-32- ILD as a top layer. Am I correct ? Once the cotton and wool cover are removed form the dunlop 4 inch "topper " it will become a bit softer correct?

we are trying to achieve a medium or medium firm bed .As we can always make a firm bed softer but not a soft bed firmer.

he is a side sleeper.

here is my idea and please ,anyone give me a comment.

if We use the dunlop latex ,our own ,it voids my warranty --i dont care about that.

There is no way that 24 ILD talalaly alone will offer any support for my 305 lb husband. so I am asking this ?
we firm up the middle foam ,leave the boottom 3 inches as is. Use 30 3lb hd foam for middle of bed. Then have dorimer glue the dunlop 4 inch 28-32 ild latex on top .
Take the 24 ild latex ,and use it as a topper if the bed is too firm. I also have a two inch 18ILD latex for comfort if the 24 ILD tallay is too much. . I think 4 inches of comfort on top is too much latex so ask them to make it a 3 inch topper.? Does any of make sense?

so the latex dream is good for someone 200lbs and under but doesnt work for an obese (midsection heavy ) person like hubby305 lbs

we only get one shot at this using our own dunlop latex,and I read the tutorial on the site.

My only concerns are the poly foam
1- is it necessary to firm up the support layers if using the very suportive dunlop?
It is amazing he support it gives on top of 4 inches of 24 ILD latex ,that is 8 inches of latex and the support mostly comes from the dunlop .It is my understanding that these layers should be reversed. Dunlop on bottom and 24 ILd talaly on top if necessary
2- I am guessing it is necesary to firm up the middle foam layer ? to a non cut 3lb foam which still has some give for support ?This is a 30lb weight I believe ? 60 is very high and very firm ,not suitable correct?
3- The bottom 3 inches is a blue 2 lb foam ,quite firm ? not certian whether we need this firmed up or not ?
4-lastly these poly foam layers must hold up a heavier dunlop latex and a heavy 300lb hubby To create a medum to medium firm bed. So my questions are mostly about the poly foam and yes I have read the thing on poly foam.These are higher quality foams dorimer is using and should suffice.
5-last concern is in using the dunlop in place of the talalay AND FIRMING UP THE FOAM will possible create a too firm bed?

I realize that this is an experiment .And there is no going back but the talaly wont hold my hubby so it is wise to use our dunlop correct? So even if the foam were firmer ,the bed is useless to him even with firmer foams on bottom as he will go right thru the comfort talaly layer. The actual bed hte latex dream is very soft foam on bottom and bends wellon the adjustable but no suport for hubby .

if the bed comes out as too firm we can try toppers Right?

is it my understanding that latex takes on its firmness from what is underneath it? so firm foam will make the latex firmer?

Our last option is to leave the foam as is ,and not use firmer foam,remove the talaly and replace it with our dunlop .which is much firmer?

we have tried this a few years ago —
dunlop latex on an extremely firm spring bed–no go too firm. So the foam underneath it has to have some give . But as you have stated the poly is a support layer and cannot be too soft. Someone mentioned 60 foam for heavy people . I think that is to firm correct? just use 30 wihtout cuts in it (please dont ask me to explain the cuts) it makes a 30 foam softer but still holds weight.

all of this on an adjustable bed .Now the present configuation actually moves on the adjustable --that is 6 in poly and 4 in tallaly 24 ild and 4 in 28-32 ild latex . IT STILL MOVES .

Bottom line --must use our own dunlop as the talaly is too soft .
But does the support foam need to be firmer?
It would be madness to firm the poly and use the talalay as he would just sink thru .Correct?

Now we kept our tempurpedic ,so if this doesnt work just go back to it.begin agian .

although My hubby has improved stiffnes of his arthritis with the latex and is able to get out of bed just fine. HIs arthritis is MUCH improved with the latex and moving at night.However mid back pain was only improved when we added the dunlop on top of the latex dream bed.This says that the configuarion of the latex dream is too soft for heavy hubby. We would rather not return to the tempur .

So important we get this close to right .Can you help please asap ? we are taking bed to dorimer tomorow .

It is good to find a bed maker willing to work with us but once they use a customer’s material it voids the warranty .I am ok with that becasue the bed ,as is,is useless to hubby .

I wish I knew more about foams and also dunlop and how dunlop responds 1- when not wrapped in cotton and wool ?2- how dunlop reacts when paired with a firmer foam ?

The reason I ask this is that a 28-32 dunlop made in indonesia is actually a support for a bed, but for a heavier person it could be the top right?

There are a lot of variables here . Its ok we may not get it just right but anyhting is better than too soft.I should add that dorimer will replace the mid Poly foam with a firmer foam and keep the warranty .But am I right ? that wont help as hubby went right thru the tallalay to the foam undeath and that did not support him.
I am guessing we need To firm up the mid poly foam anyway .Adding the dunlop will only help with support. And a topper will help with pressure relief if necessary ?

I really hope this makes sense. And you can give general advice on how we can build this bed tomorrow morning ? uggh sorry about thislate date . but we cannot keep bed as is and no real return but can redesign .

please advise and thnak you so mch in advance.

Hi suziQ,

All of the mattress layers work in unison to provide overall comfort and support, so it’s not just the top Dunlop 24 ILD layer that is “at issue” for your husband, and I think your approach going with a firmer middle layer of polyfoam certainly can be a good place to start, as this will effectively give the layers above it a bit of a “firmer” feel. At a higher BMI, this of course will be quite important.

I’d tweak your statement a bit that it would be more correct to say that it doesn’t work for your husband, and not make a blanket statement of all people of a higher BMI. :wink:

Yes, all of the layers work together, and if you place a firm piece of foam on top of a very soft piece of foam, it will still allow one to sink in deeply. I’m unclear as to what you’re referencing about where the support “mostly comes from”, as again all of the layers work together to provide comfort and support, but Dunlop does have a higher compression modulus than Talalay (firms up faster) and some people do prefer the feel of Dunlop latex deeper within the mattress. Others prefer it on top. A more traditional progressive construction would have the Talalay of which you speak on top of the Dunlop, but I wouldn’t be able to tell you if your husband will prefer that or not. But what you’re proposing does make sense.

I believe you are referencing the ILD and not the pound (30 and 60) of the polyfoam, and you would be correct that a 60 ILD polyfoam would be a very hard polyfoam, commonly used for the edge reinforcement system or as a thinned bottom layer beneath an innerspring unit or polyfoam core of a one-sided mattress. Polyfoam support cores are common in the 30-40 ILD range.

I don’t know the ILD of the foam, so I couldn’t comment upon that. But you mentioned it was a 2 lb density, so it is a better quality foam. But the term “firm” doesn’t have a standardized ILD definition, so you’d want to check into that a little more.

Whether or not the mattress would be “too firm” would be subjective, but with the specifications you are proposing this would not result in a product that would have what most people would consider a “rock hard” comfort. And yes, a topper is always an option for a bit of extra surface comfort.

All foams will depend somewhat upon the layers beneath them for some of their support, but latex itself has a very high support factor.

It could be used as both a comfort layer or a support layer, depending upon the thickness of the piece and the individual and their preferences.

I think those are all good assumptions.

(BTW, I deleted your other duplicate post, as all that does is spread our responses among multiple threads, making it more difficult for people to follow and reply to topics, and I can’t afford the time to respond to the same posts across different threads.)

Phoenix

Thank you for your reply .Lots of good info .Talked to a mattress maker in California today.

iIf we use poly foam we would need 6 full inches of at least 36 ILD of support foam .
and 2 inches of 30 ILD foam on top .Then the dunlop topper on top.That would possibly support hubby . Whether it would be comfortable or not is another subjective thing.

And it makes sense as the tempur has a full 8-9 inches of polyurathane support foam.
And it does the job.

Unfortunatley the weight narrows choices a bit… Has anyone puchased a full latex bed online?

I was looking at the 12 inch botanical bliss ? or 10 inch .just looking as foam seems iffy. Taking our time… loooking what is out there. Any ideas are helpful.

Phoenix i have lost the online retailers you said were out there for latex . I will try to find them

Thank you for your help .Much appreciated.

S

Hi suziQ,

I think you may have meant [url=https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/latex-mattress]this post? I have quite a few different “placeholders” for site members offering latex mattresses.

There are thousands of forum members here who have purchased all-latex mattresses, and they certainly can be a good option for someone of a higher BMI. Besides consulting one of my earlier replies to you with links for people of a higher BMI, you would also wish to consult directly with any all-latex manufacturer should you be considering one of their all-latex products for their suggestions for someone with a higher BMI, and also any potential options for customization/return, should things unfortunately not turn out as well as you would hope.

For more complete information, the Botanical Bliss has been discussed previously here on the forum. It does use latex and good quality materials. You can choose various firmnesses, and the top layer is exchangeable.

Phoenix

Green Bay word a 20 ild topper or a 30 ild topper be most suitable for a 300 lb person looking to soften up their firm mattress just a bit?