Please Help!!! Deciding on Air Mattress beds

My wife and I have an 10 yr. Sealy Spring Queen Mattress, which one of the springs has popped out of the top on the edge of the bed. It was on my wife’s side, and then suddenly it’s now on my side!

Needless to say, it’s time for a new one. Not to mention I have PLMD (Periodic Limb Movement Disorder), which is where my legs will rock while I’m asleep and usually when I’m dreaming. My wife is constantly complaining that she’s often woken by the feeling of her head rocking back and forth because my legs are moving. I’m also on CPAP, but it doesn’t seem to help that much in that regard.

I’ve done a LOT of research on Air Beds and I’ve narrowed it down to two brands. Innomax Medallion and the Habitat Ascend. Though I’m heavily leaning towards Innomax.

My budget is around $2,400. We’re upgrading to a King bed this time.

I can get the Medallion from Bestbeds.biz for about $2,300 delivered. The Ascend is about $1,000 more. Is it worth it?

Though the Medallion only has 3 inches of combined foam (1 inch Talalay Latex and 2 inches Memory Cell). Whereas the Ascend has 4 inches of combined foam (2 inches Latex and 2 inches of Memory). The only other major difference I can tell between the two is in their pumps. The Ascend is a pump, whereas the Medallion Adjust-A-Rest is pneumatic. Which is better/quieter? And finally, the remote for the Ascend is much more attractive than the remote for the Adjust-A-Rest.

If anyone has another air bed system that I’ve not mentioned, please let me know. I’ve looked into the Denver Mattress, Co, but their reviews on their beds are terrible. I also went and laid on the beds at our local Sleep Number store. No way I’m paying those prices for the I10!!!

My wife really liked the M7 SN bed because there was little to no transfer of motion when I moved around. How well will the Medallion or Ascend beds be at not transfering motion?

Thanks in advance for any responses!!!

Kelly

Hi Tean94,

I’m probably not the best source for airbed information because I am not a fan of airbeds as you can see in this article but post #3 here includes some of the airbed manufacturers that you may be interested in including in your research.

If I was choosing between the two options you are mentioning I would probably lean away from the Ascend and Habitat on the basis that they don’t offer particularly good value in their other mattresses and the “value” of a retailer is often fairly consistent across their entire lineup. A forum search on “Habitat” (you can just click this) will bring up more information about them.

You may also want to talk with Select air beds who are members of the site and may also be worth talking with although the price for the medallion you are mentioning (for a king set) is good.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: selectairbeds.com/

Most of the key with motion transfer will be in the comfort layers and memory foam is the best of the foam types for motion transfer (it absorbs the most energy of movement) and latex would be second (it is very point elastic which means that it can compress with little effect on the area around it even though it absorbs much less energy than memory foam). Make sure though that if you are using memory foam that you know the density/quality of the foam being used

Phoenix

Thank you for the feedback. We decided on an airbed because our Chiropractor highly recommends it. Also, I’ve read that Memory Gel will breakdown over time, and I hate how hot Memory foam is. I do like the idea of Talalay Latex, but I think I’d rather have it ontop of an air bed, which I can adjust as I get older and my needs change. I also REALLY like that with the Medallion from Innomax, you can swap out the components in your bed as needed or desired, which makes the bed extremely customizable over time.

Though in checking out Select Air beds, their beds look very similar to the Innomax beds.

I just called Select Air and they said that their i1000 mattress is nearly identical to the Medallion Innomax bed. Now I’m torn… The major issue I have with Select Air, is they don’t have any images of the inside of their i1000 bed or their pumps, like you can see on the Innomax website.

Hi Tean94,

Air bladders are a support layer just like any other support layer (such as polyfoam, latex, and innersprings). Any support layer can use any type of foam above it so you could have an airbladder base with polyfoam, memory foam or latex, a latex core with memory foam, polyfoam or latex, an innerspring with polyfoam, memory foam, or latex, and a polyfoam basewith polyfoam, memory foam, or latex.

Memory foam is only used in comfort layers (never as a support layer) and can be used over any type of support core just like any other type of comfort material.

They are from Innomax

Just like with any mattress … you need to get the specific details. This means comparing the details between the air bladders and then especially comparing the details of the foams they use in the comfort layers (which will tend to be the weak link of a mattress).

Better manufacturers will tell you the density of any memory foam or polyfoam they use and the type and blend of any latex. If they either can’t or won’t provided this information … you would be making a blind purchase with no way to know the quality or value of your purchase (at least as far as the comfort layers go) and I would tend to bypass them. I doubt that Select Air will tell you the quality details of the foams they use. I would also compare air bladder types, pumps, design and even the concept itself of why airbeds may work (or not) for you and the value of any zoning in the mattress (such as the ability to make the middle firmer) as well as the type of cover they use (which can be a significant part of the cost and contribute to temperature regulation) before you decide on what I consider to be a risky and low value proposition.

I would also ask your chiropractor if this is a suggestion he makes to all his patients or whether it was made just for you and if he really does know about mattresses … then ask him for more details about the specific type of airbed that would be most suitable for your specific needs and preferences (or at least the type of layering and material combinations that he believes would work best for you and why). Just like any type of mattress, one airbed will be very different from another in terms of how well it performs and “matches” you and if you buy an airbed that doesn’t match your needs and preferences in all the layers … then you will just as surely have a mattress that doesn’t work as you would with any other type of mattress that isn’t suitable for you. Airbeds are not all the same in their ability to “match” specific people.

There is little doubt that Chiropractors know lots about backs … but in my experience only a few of them (and there have been some) have really known much about mattresses.

Phoenix

I’ve now decided to go with the Medallion Air Bed by Innomax. I’ve decided this for a number of reasons.

First, This bed is the most versatile bed around. It is an air bed, and by its nature you can adjust the amount of support you need on any given day. Also, with the I-beam construction of the 6 inch air chambers, you get uniform support all across the bed.

Second, This bed is customizeable. With the Dual Zippered Top, you can unzip the pillow top and have it dry-cleaned and refreshed as needed or even replaced over time, and the internal elements (1 inch of Talalay Latex and 2 inches of Memory Cell foam) can be flipped or even removed and later on I could add in 3 inches of all Talalay Latex if I so desired. Doing so makes this a bed that I can reconfigure any way I want in the future.

Third, Price. I can get this bed set, including foundation and Adjust-A-Rest pump (The equivalent to the i10 at Sleep Number for $5,600) for less than $2,300!!!

Fourth, Retailers & Reviews. I’ve seen this bed sold by four different retailers. Innomax (Medallion), Select Air (i1000), Sam’s Club (Dual Digital Sleep 9), and Air Beds Unlimited (Series 9 Diamond Air Bed). There may be even more than that, but that’s what I’ve found so far in my research. The last three beds are all Medallion beds, just rebranded. And from the reviews I’ve read from each of these sites, at least 95% of them are rated 5 stars. With that many retailers selling the same bed and that many great reviews, the bed speaks for itself.

Now as for who I will be buying this bed from… There are a few options.

1 - Innomax - I’ve spoken with them and they say they will price match, however, they refuse to ship anything for free. So even at the lowest price that I’ve found (bestbeds.biz), they are still over $200 more just in shipping charges. I can buy a new end-table for that much!!!

2 - Bestbeds.biz - Has been doing business for 11 years and are an approved retailer of Innomax. They do not have a storefront, so they don’t jack up their prices like the other retailers do. They are based in Seattle, WA. They offer a 30-day return policy and the same Warranty as Innomax offers (5 yr Full on Mattress, 3 yr Full on pump and chamber). Also they provide free shipping. They will price match any other retailer. This is who I’m purchasing my Medallion bed from. Contact Jim, who is the owner and he’ll help you out with any questions you might have. Very friendly and willing to talk anytime.

3 - Select Air - They show on their website that their i1000 bed comes with 2 inches of Talalay Latex and 2 inches of Memory Cell. However, this is incorrect. Their bed is the Medallion, which as I stated above has only 1 inch of Talalay Latex, not 2. I’m not sure why I, the average Joe consumer, is the one that found this misinformation on their own website, but it is incorrect and misleading. I told their VP this on the phone a few days ago, which he agreed is wrong. False Advertising??? Not sure, but who knows how long this misinformation has been on their site before I pointed it out to them, and who knows how long it will stay there. All I know is, if you do buy from them, and you see only 1 inch of Talalay Latex, under federal law, a retailer has to abide by their advertising, so a consumer would be well within their legal rights to request that additional 1 inch of Talalay Latex as advertised on their website, just take a screenprint first showing the 2 inch claim.

4 - Sam’s Club. They also have a great price on their Dual Digital 9 Sleep bed for both the bed and foundation (Foundation is only $198, and mattress is $1,988). However, that does not come with the Adjust-A-Rest pump and I’d have to pay sales tax on it, since they are located in my state. They do ship for free though.

5 - MattressAlternative.com - John seems like a nice guy and very passionate about the Medallion bed by Innomax (as can be viewed on his YouTube videos). He has a storefront in Florida. The price for the Medallion includes the Adjust-A-Rest pump automatically. He doesn’t even offer the other pumps that Innomax sells. I like this principle. He offers free shipping as well. He also has very low pricing on the Medallion ($2,274 for Mattress, pump, and foundation).

I hope my research and this information helps anyone else who is looking into getting a Sleep Number bed or any airbed. For the price, you can’t beat the functionality or flexibility of this bed!

Hi Tean94,

While I certainly wouldn’t recommend airbeds in general … at least you have done some good research and the Innomax is among the better quality/value options in the category IMO. I also appreciate your feedback about the research you have done.

As you can also read in post #4 here … I would also be very cautious about using online reviews to determine the quality or value of any mattress although they can give you a good idea of the quality of service of the retailer that you purchase from.

Phoenix

Hi Tean94! I’m wondering how the Innomax bed worked out for you? Also, how did you figure out that these were all the same bed? I am considering the Innomax or the Select Air, but there does seem to be more info out there on the Innomax, which makes me wary of the Select Air’s lack of info. The cheaper price of the Select Air is a draw, of course.

Please let me know how it all worked out! Thanks

Hi Wheetabix,

I’m not Tean94 of course and hopefully they will see your post and be able to reply.

In the meantime though … there is a list of some of the airbed manufacturers in post #3 here that may be helpful.

Phoenix

I really like our Innomax Medallion King bed! It’s very comfortable and the Adjust-A-Rest pump is relatively quiet once the air chambers are filled. There are a lot of adjustment settings to choose from. My back rarely hurts any more, nor does my wife’s. However, when you first get the bed you’ll want to let it air out for a few days to a week, the latex/foam is pretty strong at first.

Putting the bed together is definitely a 2-person job, but not difficult. Just be VERY careful when twisting on the air hose to the pump, as the little plastic pieces that lock them on can break off very easily.

As for Select Air, the images they have posted are identical to my Innomax bed. And they are much higher priced than at mattressalternative.com.
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint: mattressalternative.com

However, I did end up buying my Innomax bed from bestbeds.biz. Jim matched any lowest price I found which was mattress alternative, and I had my bed free shipping and no tax, since I didn’t live in Washington state. My bed was shipped freight and came very quickly after I’d ordered it, about 7-10 days, as it comes from Colorado where Innomax is headquartered.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

Tean94 - no problems with sagging in the middle? I have no fears about putting it together. I worked for Select Comfort years ago, and the inside is fairly similar. Was going to get a new Sleep Number bed, but my old bed did start sagging in the middle, so I am very wary of that particular complaint. Granted, mine didn’t start doing that until it had been close to 15 years. I was only one person in the bed, though, in the last few years. I bought a foam bed last year. It’s alright, but I have been sleeping really hot, and getting a really crappy night’s sleep.

Did you get the foundation? If so, is it a hard surface on the top? Is the split foundation secured together somehow?

Thanks much!

Hi Tean94. Wondering how that air bed is working out. I think it’s finally time for a new mattress and I’m torn about the best one for someone with a bad back. It looks like you’ve done a thorough review and a convincing one at that! Can you update me on how you are liking the bed. Thanks.

Wheetabix, if you look at my post on June 12th, my wife and I are quite happy with our bed. The pump remotes are quite ugly, much prefer the look and feel of the Sleep Number remotes. But you only really use the remote the first time in getting your bed filled and rarely look at it after that.

As far as sagging in the middle, we have a King bed and have no problems at all with middle sag.

I especially like that you can zip off the cover and other layers to change out the foam inside if desired. Very flexible bed in features and customizing.

Hopefully Tean94 is still around and can provide an update on their Innomax Medallion