Please help - Latex mattress purchase

Hi Phoenix,
I am weary of doing all the research on latex mattresses, but I sure know a lot more than I did before thanks to your website. I keep coming back to SleepEZ because their prices are so good, and the other reason is that they offer the 3 layers and as a single woman I feel that is more manageable for me to assemble or disassemble the mattress in the future. Is there any advantage to having a 6-inch latex firm core, vs. two 3-inch firm and medium cores? I am a tall thin woman, and sleep mostly on my side, and have alot of issues with sore neck, shoulders, hips and some back pain. The last two nights I used two soft scrap talalay latex strips that a mattress salesman gave me and put a towel over them. It was heavenly and I woke up with no neck pain, which is very unusual for me. So I’m convinced that I need a latex mattress. I really like the CozyPure set-up, but the drawbacks are the higher price and that heavy 6-inch core. I will be getting a Queen size mattress. I like the idea of (3) 3-inch layers that I can switch around myself if needed, and the setup will be easier for me. Is there any drawback to having 3 layers vs 2 layers (with the 6-inch core). Thank you, need to make up my mind soon! I’m suffering! Oh, and do you think the soft, medium, firm configuration is best suited to a tall, thin (140 lbs), side sleeper? I thought I liked a firm mattress but after testing in the stores, I liked a softer top, but shying away from Talalay - I think Dunlop will hold up better. Your opinion so much would be appreciated!

Hi suema,

You can see the pros and cons of each of them in post #13 here.

A soft/medium/firm layering would be fairly “standard” for someone in your weight range based on averages but not everyone falls inside the averages and the most reliable source of guidance about which layering combination would be best for you would always be a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer or retailer that has your best interests at heart. They will know more about which of the options they have available would have the best chance of success for any particular person than anyone else.

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the most suitable “match” for your specific needs and preferences (or to another mattress) and how to identify and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them in post #2 here.

There is also more about the differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here but the choice between them would be more of a preference choice than a “better/worse” choice. I would treat them as close equivalents in terms of durability and choose the type and blend of latex that you tend to prefer.

You are certainly looking at some very good quality options. Once you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any obvious weak links or lower quality materials in their design and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your material preferences, your conversations with each of them, their prices, the return/exchange options they have, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

SleepEZ is a great choice. I just purchased a 10" with 3 3" layers from Flexus Comfort. You might find them slightly cheaper for Dunlop. I prefer the 3" layers because you have more configuration options vs a thick 6" layer. And if you’ve already tested latex and liked it, then you are probably heading in the right direction in terms of PPP. I think going a bit softer as a side sleeper definitely makes sense too. Good luck!

Thank you LJGMDAD - I am lookin at the Flexus Comfort site now - looks pretty much like the same thing as SleepEZ but a little cheaper. Are you happy with yours? Do you like the cover?

Hi suema,

Outside of any small differences in prices and their return/exchange options the main difference would be in the choices available for the type and blend of latex.

Phoenix

Very similar, yes. But I don’t think Flexus offers an all Talalay version. I do really like the Talalay comfort layer over the Dunlop lower layers on mine. If you search the recent threads you can find my Flexus Comfort thread. But here is the summary: I’ve gone from chronic lower back pain to no pain with my new mattress. But my body is still adjusting. I still have some morning stiffness that is relieved by stretching, but nothing that resembles pain. Previously I was in pain each morning. And let me tell you this is a relief!

As for the cover, it seems fine to me. I can take pics of it if you would like. I also added a wool mattress protector from Foam Sweet Foam. Pricey, but nice. All in all, I’m happy so far. And with the layer exchange policy, I feel you are pretty safe and can tweak the feel to your liking as needed. I ordered mine over the phone and spoke with Henry. He can give you further advice on layer firmness as well.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

I don’t understand from the photos of the Flexus latex mattress covers - it looks like a grey fabric on the sides and the quilted fabric on the top. I am wondering about the grey fabric - it looks like it would keep the layers nice and tightly arranged. But I really like the looks of the SleepEZ with the quilting on the sides too. Any thoughts on the differences here? Thanks guys, your input is so helpful. I can see I cannot lose with either SleepEZ or Flexus, just Flexus is closer to me so shipping might be a little faster. I have spent many hours on this site, but I LOVE all the good information and fast responses.

Mine doesn’t have the grey fabric on the sides. I can take a picture but not until Sunday as I’m currently out of town. Also remember that once you have a mattress protector or fitted sheet over the mattress, you don’t see the mattress cover at all.

I’m in California and shipping time was three days, via UPS Ground.

Hi suema,

The most reliable source of information about the specific components in any mattress would be a conversation with the manufacturer themselves. As LJGMDAD mentioned the color of the fabric is only cosmetic and both covers would have wool quilted into the side panel to pass the fire regulations.

Phoenix

Yep, calling them right now - thanks, Phoenix!

Hi Phoenix,
I AM SO EXCITED!!! After over 2 months of sleeping in the guest room because I gave away my Serta Perfect Sleeper (which was definitely NOT perfect), researching online, following your forums, trying out local mattress shops and almost driving myself crazy, I have just purchased a queen 10" latex mattress from Flexus Comfort. I spoke with James this morning and he answered all my questions, thought it over for a couple hours, and just called in my order. They have a great sale going on right now. I also purchased a pair of shredded latex pillows and their wood foundation to place within my headboard/footboard/rails. I am going to order my cotton stretch mattress pad from CozyPure and still looking for organic sheets. I am so relieved and now have to go finish painting the bedroom to get ready for the new bed. THANK YOU SO MUCH for always being there to answer my questions - this forum helped me make a very wise decision with an awesome dealer, and I truly would not have done this without you.

Hi suema,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You were certainly considering some great quality/value options and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Good job, Suema.

For what it’s worth, you can take a look at this post to see a pic of the mattress cover that I received from Flexus Comfort. The rest of the thread is the chronicle of my experience thus far on this mattress.

It sounds like we now have the same mattress. Woohoo!

Great photo, yes they have changed the cover. I got a firm, medium, soft talalay on top - hope it works. I sleep mostly on my side, and I’m a lightweight, so this is what the doctor ordered. Can’t wait to get it! Thanks for your help.

I think it’s going to be the right combination of comfort and support for you… Hope it works out!

FYI, I found this video very helpful for learning how to assemble a latex mattress:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vJIgs5mjOU[/video]