Please help me choose a Costco Memory Foam Mattress

Hi Betsy80,

You are fortunate to live in the Portland area because there are some great quality and value choices there including one of the manufacturing members of the site. They are listed in post #2 here.

Words like soft, firm, hard, medium all have very different meanings to different people and a mattress that one person “rates” in one way may be “rated” very differently by another. The most reliable way to know what a mattress feels like to you is to test it in person. You are fortunate that you have options where you can both test a mattress in person with the help and guidance of some knowledgeable people and also ave the kind of great quality and value available that you do. Quite frankly there is no way that I would even be considering a purchase from Costco or any big box store with the options in your area.

The most important part in all of it is the part that talks about PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) and the importance of connecting with the experts who already know much of what is on this site that you would otherwise need to learn. Connecting with “experts” is much much easier than becoming one :slight_smile:

This is the way to “bypass” any confusion. The information doesn’t have to be “studied” and more than anything can help you tell who knows what they are talking about and who doesn’t.

I don’t pay a lot of attention to other people’s “comfort ratings” because at best they only apply to “averages” and at worst they can do more to mislead than help. The “feel” of a mattress also has very little to do with whether it would be suitable for you and the circumstances you are dealing with. The suitability of a mattress would be especially important to me if I was dealing with debilitating back pain and in your circumstances I wouldn’t deal with anyone but an “expert” that can give you the guidance that you need. Costco is not one of these IMO. The quality and value of a mattress has nothing to do with whether the design would be suitable for your needs and preferences and this is the most important part of a mattress purchase.

Again … the way to “bypass” information overload is to just learn and know enough to be able to recognize people who know a lot more than you do … and then work with the “best” of these. As surprising as it may seem … if you have even scanned the information in the first post I linked you likely know more about mattresses than the large majority of people who sell mattresses in this country :slight_smile:

If I could give you a single piece of “advice” it would be to change who you are choosing to deal with rather than focusing on which mattress you should choose.

Phoenix