Please Help---Memory Foam Mattress No Good For Active Couple

Hi, all. I bought a memory foam mattress a while ago, it’s not a hybrid I believe it is almost 100% memory foam. It’s great for sleeping on, but the problem is that my partner and I cannot have decent sex on it…your knees just sink into the foam. It’s really affected our sex life in a bad way. (You can’t bounce on the mattress at all.) Is there anything we can do to fix this problem or make the top of the mattress more firm somehow? I was thinking about looking for a firm topper somewhere, but I’m not even sure if that will really help??? Maybe a combination of a very firm mattress topper and a firm mattress pad? We don’t have the money to buy a new mattress but we really need to fix this problem. On our old mattress it was just a regular box spring mattress, and I thought it was way too firm for sleeping on, but our intimate life was great on it. (we got rid of that mattress when we got the new one, and now we wish we could take it back.) At this point, I don’t even care how firm or “too firm” the mattress may become, we just need to fix this problem. Any opinions on what we do to toughen up/firm up the mattress so that we are no longer sinking in at all? Thanks so much.

You can always try a 1-2" latex topper. While you will lose some of the memory foam contouring you will also get a bit more bounce back into the bed. It won’t be a miracle but it should help quite a bit. I bought a soft 1" latex topper for my last memory foam mattress and it did help bring some bounce back into my bed. I think it was around $100-120 for a queen size.

Hi mcb100,

The slow response and lack of resiliency of memory foam is a common complaint with memory foam mattresses when it comes to sex (see post #2 here).

As zexpress mentioned you can add a latex topper on top of your mattress which is a much more resilient type of foam that will help add some “bounce” to some degree although it won’t remove the “feel” of the memory foam completely. A thicker layer of latex will have more effect on modifying the feel and response of the memory foam underneath it than a thinner layer.

Your mattress would only have memory foam on the top layers and the bottom layer would be polyfoam (not memory foam) so if you wanted to remove the effect of the memory foam completely you could also turn your mattress over and use a topper on the bottom (although the bottom would be the support foam which would be much firmer so you may need a thicker topper to provide the pressure relief that you need than you would on the top of the mattress).

Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to includes some guidelines for choosing a topper and also includes a link to the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well.

Phoenix

Hi mcb100,
I would use this opportunity to explore new positions and maybe get creative and use the floor, or other rooms in the house. In my experience you cant do much to prevent the sinking feeling of a memory foam mattress A latex topper may help a little, however you will never a get firm surface or the resilience of a spring or latex mattress that’s preferred for sex
Good luck and be creative! :wink: