Please help. SleepEZ blended Talalay or Dunlop top layer?

Hi Phoenix,
Thank you so much for this site - I have learned so much. I was going to purchase a memory foam mattress from Sams Club until I got better informed. Now I am looking to spend more than I anticipated, but feel it is a choice for better sleep and better health. I am 64 years old, sleep alone in a queen size bed that has a Sleep Number base on it. After talking with SleepEZ, they said I should put a piece of plywood over the base to be sure it is supportive. To make life easier for me, I am planning on getting the upholstered base from SleepEZ. My question is this:
I have decided on the 10,000 Natural Latex mattress. I am mostly a side sleeper, with occasional back sleeping as well. I weigh 145 pounds and I am 5’8" tall. I have Fibromyalgia and I also suffer from hip, neck and shoulder pain. So a good supportive mattress is a health issue for me. After calling SleepEZ, he recommended top layer soft, middle layer medium, and bottom layer firm. But I am confused on the top later - do I get the blended Talalay or the Dunlop? And do you agree with the Soft/Medium/Firm configuration? I like a pretty firm mattress but realize I have pressure point issues that may require some softness. I mostly DO NOT WANT ANY SAGGING. This has plagued me with past mattresses. I bought a Serta innerspring with a gel top layer 5 years ago and it is sagging and I cannot sleep on it anymore. I am now sleeping in the guest room on a firm Bed in a Box memory foam mattress and it feels much better. Please help me through this confusion, I just want to get some good sleep. Thank you so much.

Hi suema,

This would be a preference choice not a “better/worse” choice. There is more about the differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here but with fibromyalgia I would tend to go with the one that was a little softer and more pressure relieving (which would likely be the Talalay).

There is more about the most effective ways to choose a mattress (either online or locally) in post #2 here that can help you identify and minimize the risks involved with each of them but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance will always be a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer who can help “talk you through” the different options they have available and will know much more about “matching” their different mattresses to the many different body types and sleeping styles of their customers than anyone else (including me). Like all their suggestions … your layering combination would certainly be “in the range” that was suitable for you based on the “averages” of their customers that are similar to you.

The most common reason for a mattress sagging (either visible impressions that you can see or virtual impressions that are from foam softening that you can’t) is the softening or breakdown of lower quality materials in the comfort layers which unfortunately is very common with almost all major brand mattresses. Latex is the most durable foam material in the industry so there certainly wouldn’t be a reason to be concerned with any sagging issues in a latex mattress. There is more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix