Please help with final NYC-area latex choices!

Hi gp193,

I don’t know the ILD of their latex no … but it’s only 2" so the firmness or softness of the support system underneath it will also play a big role in how firm it feels. When a comfort layer is thinner then more of the “feel” and firmness of the layers or components below it will “come through” the top layer.

Most often no but you could buy a twin XL (which is 38" x 80") and then cut it down to a split queen 30" width with an electric knife.

There are also several manufacturers that sell a split queen mattress that would probably also sell you half of a queen size layer and some latex suppliers may be willing to do the cutting for you.

Phoenix

I did a little more research today and I’m feeling a bit confused about where to head next. I slept on the firm side of the bed for a second night and was pretty comfy, but overall I still think it’s a bit firm for me.

I called Berkeley Ergonomics and the woman I spoke to was very helpful and talked to me a while about the mattress we bought. She said that the soft side is ILD 24 and the firm side is ILD 38. I’m pretty certain the core underneath the 2" comfort layer is also 38. From what I understand, 38 is considered extra firm and 24 is more of a soft-medium. When I told her my weight (140) she said she thought the softer layer would be best for me, especially since I’m a woman and have heavier hips. Unfortunately, BE only sells the mattress in two versions so I can’t exchange for a medium type layer.

Anyhow, here’s what I’m considering now:

1. Stick it out on the soft side and hope I come to like the soft layer
  2. Exchange for a firm layer and buy some sort of topper or cushy pad to go on top
  3. Buy a piece of medium latex from an outside company. I did some price-checking today and I found a place that would do it for around $100. Honestly I hate to spend a single $ more on this very pricey mattress! I would have to hazard a guess about which ILD to order. I want something in between what we have now, so I think that would be 30-32.

To be quite honest, now I wish that we had bought one of the 3-layer beds from an online source like sleepez.com. On the other hand, I valued having a chance to try the mattress in the store and only now, after sleeping on it for a week, do I really understand what I do and don’t like. Now I wish I had more flexibility with respect to comfort exchanges. How frustrating!

Hi gp193,

I think that the “best” suggestion would be to give the mattress 30 days before deciding on any changes. There is an initial break in period and also an adjustment period over this time where what you feel on the mattress can change (as you’ve discovered already).

Once you have spent a little bit more time sleeping on the mattress so your experience is a little more predictive of your longer term experience then it would be time to consider any changes.

With a 2" comfort layer a big part of what you feel will be the layers below the top 2" so the comfort layer alone would only be part of this. I would also agree that 24 ILD is much more in the range of what you are likely to do best with at your weight.

I would also keep in mind that “feel” is quite subjective and can change over time and even with changing circumstances and that any actual symptoms you experience on a mattress are a more reliable indicator of whether something needs to change than “feel” alone.

Even terms like “supportive” have different meanings because one of the main functions of a mattress is to keep you in good alignment which means that some parts of the mattress need to “allow” you to sink in more (less supportive) and some parts heed to “stop” that part of the body from sinking in too much (more supportive). All of this varies with body type and sleeping positions as well as individual perceptions. what you “feel” on the mattress or how far it feels like you are sinking in is usually relative to what you’re used to and part of the “sleeping memory” which your body has become used to.

The top layers are more about pressure relief and the “secondary” support that fills in the gaps in your sleeping profile. It’s not the layer that is supposed to be “supportive”. If you make this firmer then it may not be as pressure relieving or fill in the gaps for your lighter body weight as well. The deeper layers are the layers that are meant to “stop” your heavier hips from sinking in too far. If your base layer is 38 ILD then it’s very unlikely that your hips are sinking in too far with only 2" of latex above it although this can vary with body type and sleeping positions.

Outside of what the mattress “feels” like … are you experiencing any specific symptoms when you sleep on it?

Phoenix

You know, I just had the same thought this morning about waiting to see how the bed feels after close to 30 days. At this point I’m feeling a bit like the princess and the pea.

As far as actual symptoms, when I wake up on the soft side my back feels slightly stiff. This is the big problem I had with our old saggy bed. Also, I feel a bit of pressure on my bottom hip when I lay on my side. Basically, when I wake up in the morning I feel just a bit “uncomfortable” all over, but still much better than with our old bed.

What I liked about the firm side is the feeling that the latex really filled in the gap of my lumbar area when I slept on my back. That is what’s missing for me on the soft side and why I considered switching to a medium firmness. What it feels like to me is that the latex isn’t pushing up against my back enough, and when I’m on my side the soft layer compresses too much against the firm core underneath it and ends up creating pressure against my hip. I would theorize that it would help to have some sort of transition layer between the soft and firm, but unfortunately that’s not an option with our bed.

Long story short, I will stick it out for a while more and try removing the waterproof protector, as I wonder if that’s creating a drum effect with the soft latex.

Can anyone else relate to my experience?

Thanks again, Phoenix!

Hi gp193,

Removing the protector and eliminating it as a possibility is a good idea but giving the mattress a few weeks when it’s new is usually the best idea. It will also get you past the point where its easy to “overthink” things with a new mattress and then you can let your body tell you what if anything needs to change or be fine tuned.

Phoenix

You are absolutely right about overthinking! I seem to have that tendency in other areas of life as well :slight_smile:

This is the last week in my 30-day exchange period and I think I’ve decided to keep my soft comfort layer. The firm side is nice when my back is tired, but it’s just too hard for sleeping comfortably overnight. There is one thing that is bothering me, and I’m not sure how to rectify the problem. When I sleep on my side, I feel pressure on my bottom hip. I only have this problem on the soft side. Could it be that the comfort layer is too thin?

I also tried removing the membrane-type mattress protector since it was feeling hot, and that helped a bit with the feel of the mattress. Now it conforms to the curve of my body a bit better. However, I really do want to keep the mattress protected from accidents. As I see it, I have two options and I’m not sure which to pursue. It’s also tricky because I can’t really test any new products in the store.

1. find a padded mattress cover that will add some cushion to relieve the hip pressure. I am really hesitant to change the feel of the latex because I like how it feels without much bedding in between.
  2. add a soft latex topper

Any advice?

Hi gp193,

If the comfort layer works well on the firmer side and not on the softer side it’s much morel likely that your hip pain is not so much from the firmness or thickness of the comfort layer but from the amount you are sinking in on the softer side. It may be that your hip joint isn’t in neutral alignment on the soft side and this is causing some strain on the joint (muscles and ligaments) which may be the cause of your discomfort rather than actual pressure. If you were feeling the discomfort on the firmer side then it would be more likely to be a pressure issue which could be related to the firmness or thickness of the comfort layer.

Most mattress protectors will have some effect on the ability of the foam layers underneath them to contour to your body shape as well as affecting sleeping temperature in some cases. It may be worth considering a stretch knit cotton protector which is very stretchy (like a jersey sheet) and may have less effect than one of the semi breathable protectors and also allow more airflow which would be cooler than the semi breathable membrane protector. Of course the down side is that it only absorbs moisture and isn’t water resistant or waterproof. There is more about the pros and cons of different mattress protectors and some links to some sources in post #89 here.

Based on your experience it seems like changing both sides to the firmer core may be a better solution (since it seems to work well for you). A padded mattress pad may reduce the ability of the latex below it to contour to your body even more and make it a little firmer.

If you were experiencing pressure points then this could be a good option but again it seems like the thickness / firmness of the comfort layers don’t seem to be the issue if the firmer side of your mattress is working well for you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks so much for your advice. Just to clarify, I don’t think the firm side is going to work for me because I can’t sleep comfortably on my side - my shoulder hardly sinks in enough. I think I want to keep the soft side but I’m trying to figure out the hip pain issue. Are you saying you think it’s an alignment problem? Since we have the firm base core and a 2" comfort layer, I am doubtful that I am sinking in so far that I’m out of alignment. Rather, I’m afraid I’m not sinking in enough. This is why I am wishing I had ordered from sleepez where I would have a 3" comfort layer. If I were to add a latex topper now, it would be different than having a thicker comfort layer because the mattress cover would be in between the top two pieces of latex.

I will look into finding a thinner, stretchy mattress cover as well.

Hi gp193,

There’s no way for me to really know this based on “theory at a distance” because I can’t see you on the mattress or feel what you feel but based on speculation it would make sense to me if you are feeling the “symptoms” on the softer side but not on the firmer side. If you were feeling the symptoms on the firmer side then it would be more likely to be pressure related because firmer layers are more likely to cause pressure issues while softer layers are more likely to cause alignment issues.

If the firmer side works well for your hips but isn’t thick/soft enough for your shoulders then it may be worth trying an extra inch or two of latex as a topper which would allow your shoulders to sink in a little more while still being able to have a firmer support layer.

The deeper layers of a mattress are for primary support which “stops” the heavier pelvis from sinking down too far while the upper layers are for pressure relief and are meant to “allow” the lighter shoulders to sink in far enough to relieve pressure and also to fill in the gaps in the sleeping profile (generally the waist on the side or lower back for back sleepers) which is more “secondary” support.

Some of the other factors that would be worth considering so you can rule them out as a possibility are in post #2 here.

The first step though is always to talk with the retailer or manufacturer where you purchased your mattress because they will generally know more about the mattresses they sell and the options they have available and would also have more experience in making suggestions for their customers that had purchased the same mattress and were in similar circumstances as you.

Phoenix

I’ve decided to keep my mattress as it is - on my side, a 6" firm core with a 2" soft comfort layer. I since the core and the comfort layer are the same ILD on the firm side, it wouldn’t really make sense to add a topper on the firm part of the mattress since I effectively already have a soft topper on a firm base. I think all I really need to work out now is the mattress pad/protector. I removed the membrane-type protector because it was too hot, and I was very surprised how much it changed the feel of the mattress because it is thin and pretty stretchy. I really want to keep the mattress protected from my toddler so either we will just live with the current protector or find a wool one. Out of the wool mattress pads available, which do you think would do the least to change the feel of the mattress? I am guessing the St. Dormeir but I’d appreciate feedback from those who have firsthand experience.

Thank you, as always!

I’ve no experience with the mattress protector you referenced, but I do know that the wool protectors are “water resistant”, not waterproof, so if you’re afraid of a toddler having an accident on your mattress, a wool protector might not be as protective as you’d need.

Hi gp193,

I don’t have personal experience with it but based on conversations with retailers that carry it the Dormeir consistently has great feedback and has less effect on the feel of the mattress compared to others that are similar although wool will also have some effect on the feel of the mattress. I have the NaturaProtect Deluxe and for me it has a noticeable effect on the feel of the layers below it. The least effect would probably be a stretch cotton protector but of course it’s also not waterproof or water resistant and is more moisture absorbent. For reference purposes the Natura Deluxe has about 10 oz/yd of wool and a sateen cotton cover while the St Dormeir protector has about 4.5 oz/yd and a cotton terry cover.

Phoenix

Thanks. For comfort’s sake I’m willing to go with a wool cover even though it’s not totally waterproof - we figure that water resistant is ok since we can pull up the bedding before liquid soaks all the way through to the mattress. I will look into the two pads that you suggested. Ideally, some manufacturer would make a pad that is a hybrid of the Suite Sleep cotton knit protector with a layer of wool for moisture protection. I don’t think that exists!

If it exists, I couldn’t find it, and I tried because of wanting a stretchy material but knowing a little wool might be a good thing. After a couple of weeks I finally ordered a stretchy cotton cover from Cozy Pure - and actually I’m spending the day waiting for UPS to deliver it today, since UPS says it is out for delivery.

I wish they’d hurry up, since I’m not sure if it should be washed before using, and I’d like to get it on my bed tonight - but it’s starting to look like we’re in the 7-8 pm delivery slot for our UPS carrier this time. Patience isn’t my strong suit.

Until some manufacturer makes a hybrid, I think it might work to put a thin felted wool mattress pad (the ones that are just wool, not quilted under cotton like the Natura pad) underneath a stretchy cotton protector such as CozyPure, Suite Sleep, or another.

I haven’t actually done this, but this is what is recommended by a Seattle bedding company I like called Soaring Heart…from their website: “we always recommend layering a cotton mattress pad (organic or natural will both do fine) and an Organic Wool Mattress Pad. Cotton absorbs moisture and wool repels and wicks moisture away. [etc.]”

Clawdia, I think we are in the same boat! What kind of mattress do you have? I hope you enjoy the protector you bought, and please post your thoughts on it.

Dahlia, thanks for the tip. I think after spending so much on our new bed I am feeling a little cheap about buying multiple expensive covers :slight_smile: That is great advice though!

I have an all Dunlop mattress - bought it from a little local shop in Roanoke, VA last month. It has no fire retardants and required a prescription to buy because of that, but that made it tax exempt and tax deductible. I love my mattress, which is a 6" relatively soft support core and a 3" softest comfort layer, both wrapped up in a zip-up bamboo cover.

I love the mattress more than I love the Cozy Pure mattress cover, I’m afraid. I was so excited to get it on the bed last night, washed and dried it according to the directions, only to find it would then not even quite fit the 9" mattress. I’d written Cozy Pure before ordering and asked what size mattress their cover should fit - their answer was 13". It was hard enough for me to try to stretch it over my 9" mattress - I’m absolutely sure it would never fit anything larger. I’m used to the notion that a mattress cover should fit like a bottom sheet - going slightly beneath the mattress, which this one doesn’t - it “almost” fits, but leaves about 3" of the mattress uncovered at either the head or foot. Trying to pull it tighter to fit over more of the mattress doesn’t do anything other than deform the shape of the mattress. I wish I’d put it on the bed without washing it to see how big it was before I washed it - using cold water, and drying it on the lowest heat my dryer provides.

The material feels very nice, it’s relatively thick and plush, it’s the sizing that bothers me. It also does change the feel of the mattress more than I had hoped it would, making it feel more firm. I do think it will provide some protection for the mattress, but I’m disappointed in both the fit and the way it changed the feel of the latex, and disappointed in myself for having bought something that didn’t make me all that happy for having spent the money.

Hi Clawdia,

I would call and ask them about this. I was curious so I called CozyPure and talked to Hans and asked if they’d had any other comments about the protector not fitting or fitting too tightly (which would affect the feel if there was no more stretch left and it was creeating a “drum” effect on your mattress). He told me that he hadn’t heard this before and most of their mattresses are the same thickness as yours or in some cases more and they work well on their mattresses so he suggested you call them to find out what may be happening. It seems odd to me because your experience is different from another member that purchased it here (with pictures) which appears to show that with the one they purchased there’s lots of room.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix.

It’ll be next week before I have chance to call Hans, altho I may send an email just so he doesn’t forget in the meantime. Out of town tomorrow, and doctor and dentist get
my time the first part of next week, I’m afraid.

I’m curious about it, too - but one thing I have noticed is that the pictures of that cover shown at the link you referenced above are of apparently a somewhat different design than the cover I bought. If you check that link, you see a cover that looks identical to the one I found online here . . . http://www.tomorrowsworld.com/Organic-Cotton-Stretch-Knit-Mattress-Cover-QUEEN-p/09-3505.htm several days ago (note it says CozyPure, and price was exactly the same), so I knew the cover currently being sold, the one now on Cozy Pure’s website (https://www.cozypure.com/mattress-pads-toppers/organic-cotton-matelasse-knit-mattress-protector--best-seller), did seem to have somewhat of a different design, but I did buy it thinking that if they made a good one in the past, then surely the one now being made would be at least as good.

I can make the cover fit loosely enough not to cause a drum effect, but if I do that then the corner of the pockets that’s supposed to hold the mattress are at least a couple of inches up from the edges of the bed in all 4 corners. There’s nothing much to tuck in anywhere except right at the corners - otherwise, on 3 sides the cover comes just to the bottom of the mattress, while on the 4th side, one of the longer sides which is at the head of my bed, the mattress fits into the pockets on either side as long as I don’t try to make them really “fit”, but the middle of the mattress cover on that end leaves 2-3" of the mattress exposed. It’s no harm to have it like that, but it doesn’t seem right.
I might could squish the mattress more into the cover, but I’d rather not do that, and it doesn’t seem like a good idea.

I really wasn’t complaining earlier as much as I was just relating what my experience has been, and that it really had been far from what I’d expected. I even checked the package to be sure it really did say it contained a queen size cover, thinking perhaps I’d been sent the wrong size by mistake. If Hans is willing to talk about it, I’ll certainly get in touch with him, and I appreciate your interest.