Please help with final NYC-area latex choices!

Iā€™ve no experience with the mattress protector you referenced, but I do know that the wool protectors are ā€œwater resistantā€, not waterproof, so if youā€™re afraid of a toddler having an accident on your mattress, a wool protector might not be as protective as youā€™d need.

Hi gp193,

I donā€™t have personal experience with it but based on conversations with retailers that carry it the Dormeir consistently has great feedback and has less effect on the feel of the mattress compared to others that are similar although wool will also have some effect on the feel of the mattress. I have the NaturaProtect Deluxe and for me it has a noticeable effect on the feel of the layers below it. The least effect would probably be a stretch cotton protector but of course itā€™s also not waterproof or water resistant and is more moisture absorbent. For reference purposes the Natura Deluxe has about 10 oz/yd of wool and a sateen cotton cover while the St Dormeir protector has about 4.5 oz/yd and a cotton terry cover.

Phoenix

Thanks. For comfortā€™s sake Iā€™m willing to go with a wool cover even though itā€™s not totally waterproof - we figure that water resistant is ok since we can pull up the bedding before liquid soaks all the way through to the mattress. I will look into the two pads that you suggested. Ideally, some manufacturer would make a pad that is a hybrid of the Suite Sleep cotton knit protector with a layer of wool for moisture protection. I donā€™t think that exists!

If it exists, I couldnā€™t find it, and I tried because of wanting a stretchy material but knowing a little wool might be a good thing. After a couple of weeks I finally ordered a stretchy cotton cover from Cozy Pure - and actually Iā€™m spending the day waiting for UPS to deliver it today, since UPS says it is out for delivery.

I wish theyā€™d hurry up, since Iā€™m not sure if it should be washed before using, and Iā€™d like to get it on my bed tonight - but itā€™s starting to look like weā€™re in the 7-8 pm delivery slot for our UPS carrier this time. Patience isnā€™t my strong suit.

Until some manufacturer makes a hybrid, I think it might work to put a thin felted wool mattress pad (the ones that are just wool, not quilted under cotton like the Natura pad) underneath a stretchy cotton protector such as CozyPure, Suite Sleep, or another.

I havenā€™t actually done this, but this is what is recommended by a Seattle bedding company I like called Soaring Heartā€¦from their website: ā€œwe always recommend layering a cotton mattress pad (organic or natural will both do fine) and an Organic Wool Mattress Pad. Cotton absorbs moisture and wool repels and wicks moisture away. [etc.]ā€

Clawdia, I think we are in the same boat! What kind of mattress do you have? I hope you enjoy the protector you bought, and please post your thoughts on it.

Dahlia, thanks for the tip. I think after spending so much on our new bed I am feeling a little cheap about buying multiple expensive covers :slight_smile: That is great advice though!

I have an all Dunlop mattress - bought it from a little local shop in Roanoke, VA last month. It has no fire retardants and required a prescription to buy because of that, but that made it tax exempt and tax deductible. I love my mattress, which is a 6" relatively soft support core and a 3" softest comfort layer, both wrapped up in a zip-up bamboo cover.

I love the mattress more than I love the Cozy Pure mattress cover, Iā€™m afraid. I was so excited to get it on the bed last night, washed and dried it according to the directions, only to find it would then not even quite fit the 9" mattress. Iā€™d written Cozy Pure before ordering and asked what size mattress their cover should fit - their answer was 13". It was hard enough for me to try to stretch it over my 9" mattress - Iā€™m absolutely sure it would never fit anything larger. Iā€™m used to the notion that a mattress cover should fit like a bottom sheet - going slightly beneath the mattress, which this one doesnā€™t - it ā€œalmostā€ fits, but leaves about 3" of the mattress uncovered at either the head or foot. Trying to pull it tighter to fit over more of the mattress doesnā€™t do anything other than deform the shape of the mattress. I wish Iā€™d put it on the bed without washing it to see how big it was before I washed it - using cold water, and drying it on the lowest heat my dryer provides.

The material feels very nice, itā€™s relatively thick and plush, itā€™s the sizing that bothers me. It also does change the feel of the mattress more than I had hoped it would, making it feel more firm. I do think it will provide some protection for the mattress, but Iā€™m disappointed in both the fit and the way it changed the feel of the latex, and disappointed in myself for having bought something that didnā€™t make me all that happy for having spent the money.

Hi Clawdia,

I would call and ask them about this. I was curious so I called CozyPure and talked to Hans and asked if theyā€™d had any other comments about the protector not fitting or fitting too tightly (which would affect the feel if there was no more stretch left and it was creeating a ā€œdrumā€ effect on your mattress). He told me that he hadnā€™t heard this before and most of their mattresses are the same thickness as yours or in some cases more and they work well on their mattresses so he suggested you call them to find out what may be happening. It seems odd to me because your experience is different from another member that purchased it here (with pictures) which appears to show that with the one they purchased thereā€™s lots of room.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix.

Itā€™ll be next week before I have chance to call Hans, altho I may send an email just so he doesnā€™t forget in the meantime. Out of town tomorrow, and doctor and dentist get
my time the first part of next week, Iā€™m afraid.

Iā€™m curious about it, too - but one thing I have noticed is that the pictures of that cover shown at the link you referenced above are of apparently a somewhat different design than the cover I bought. If you check that link, you see a cover that looks identical to the one I found online here . . . http://www.tomorrowsworld.com/Organic-Cotton-Stretch-Knit-Mattress-Cover-QUEEN-p/09-3505.htm several days ago (note it says CozyPure, and price was exactly the same), so I knew the cover currently being sold, the one now on Cozy Pureā€™s website (https://www.cozypure.com/mattress-pads-toppers/organic-cotton-matelasse-knit-mattress-protector--best-seller), did seem to have somewhat of a different design, but I did buy it thinking that if they made a good one in the past, then surely the one now being made would be at least as good.

I can make the cover fit loosely enough not to cause a drum effect, but if I do that then the corner of the pockets thatā€™s supposed to hold the mattress are at least a couple of inches up from the edges of the bed in all 4 corners. Thereā€™s nothing much to tuck in anywhere except right at the corners - otherwise, on 3 sides the cover comes just to the bottom of the mattress, while on the 4th side, one of the longer sides which is at the head of my bed, the mattress fits into the pockets on either side as long as I donā€™t try to make them really ā€œfitā€, but the middle of the mattress cover on that end leaves 2-3" of the mattress exposed. Itā€™s no harm to have it like that, but it doesnā€™t seem right.
I might could squish the mattress more into the cover, but Iā€™d rather not do that, and it doesnā€™t seem like a good idea.

I really wasnā€™t complaining earlier as much as I was just relating what my experience has been, and that it really had been far from what Iā€™d expected. I even checked the package to be sure it really did say it contained a queen size cover, thinking perhaps Iā€™d been sent the wrong size by mistake. If Hans is willing to talk about it, Iā€™ll certainly get in touch with him, and I appreciate your interest.