Please help! Worst night sleep ever on new mattress

I just bought a new mattress from MattressMakers in San Diego. they are a local shop and are a member here. After visiting their warehouse/showroom, my husband and I chose their plush pocketed coil innerspring mattress, they had hybrids we were considering but did not like the price or the feel. We both hate memory foam (or so we thought) and pure latex out of our price range. I slept so horrible on our new mattress, every part of me is aching, my hips and knees the worse (I mostly sleep on my side and wake up several times to nurse our baby) We absolutely loved our last mattress but it was starting to warp and bulge on the sides, I guess what I am looking for is a recommendation for a mattress topper, I just don’t know what to look for in terms of construction and materials. Our last mattress was a Simmons BeautyRest Charleston Pillowtop which is discontinued, my understanding is that this is very close to the Westin Heavenly bed with a super plush pillowtop. So do I look for memory foam, latex, gel foam? Please help!!

I found this info on the comparable model:
QUILTING
First Layer: FR Fiber
Second Layer: 1 1/4" AirFeel
Third Layer: 1" PurFoam Plush
Quilt Backing: Celestra

DECK UPHOLSTERY MATERIAL
2" PurFoam Plush

TOP UPHOLSTERY MATERIAL
First Layer: 1/2" PurFoam Luxury Firm
Second Layer: 1 1/2" Memory Foam

CONSTRUCTION
Coil Unit: 800 Density
Coil Insulator: Quantum
Edge Support: Total Surround BeautyEdge w/Quantum Lock
Foam Encased: 8" H x 3" W Foam Rails

COIL SUPPORT
First Layer: 1/2" Energy Foam

FOUNDATION: 5slatTriton

HEIGHTS
Mattress: 14 inches
Regular Foundation: 9 inches
Low Profile Foundation: 5.5 inches

Hi venus,

You haven’t mentioned anything about whether your mattress is too soft or too firm but based on your comments I suspect that it may be firmer than you prefer and if this is the case some of the suggestions in post #2 here may be helpful.

There is more about the more common symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most likely reasons for them in post #2 here that may be helpful as well.

The best suggestion I would normally have for the first few weeks is to do nothing (other than the suggestions in the previous link and of course talking with Mattressmakers about any suggestions they may have as well) while the mattress breaks in and you adjust to the feel of a new sleeping surface because what your mattress feels like to you in a few weeks may be quite different from what it feels like when it’s brand new.

The partial specs of another mattress won’t help you to choose a topper for your mattress because they are completely different from yours and it’s not really possible to use the specs of one mattress to guess at the type of topper that would work best on another mattress that has a completely different design but if after sleeping on your mattress for a few weeks you decide that adding a topper is the direction that you think would be best (after discussing your options with Mattressmakers) then the post I linked also includes a link to some guidelines that can help you use your sleeping experience on your mattress as a reference point for choosing the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that would have the best chance of being a good “match” for you.

Phoenix

Thanks so much, hopefully once broken in it will be softer, yes it is way too firm, I even asked my husband are you sure they delivered the correct mattress! they informed me there would be a breaking in period, but after last night I am tempted to sleep on our old mattress in the guest room now just to avoid all the aches and pains :unsure: