Plush mattress recommendations for side sleepers with arthritis in back

Hello, I have tested the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and Cloud Supreme and also a Serta at Sleepy’s called the Cool Elegance-Supreme Plush. I like them all and am not sure which I really prefer but think I like the Cloud Luxe the best because it’s the softest. But because the foam gets softer over time I wonder if I would be better with the feel of the Supreme instead. I don’t want to purchase one of these though. I want to purchase from one of the retailers that you recommend (probably online because I live in NH and not sure any on your list are in my area) and not from Tempurpedic or Serta. I have been looking at the mattresses on Brooklyn Bedding’s site and the Cool Luxe seems like a good option but I recently read a bad review that is disappointing. I have just been looking at memory foam but recently am thinking about considering Latex as well. One of my concerns with latex is that I had a shredded natural rubber pillow and I absolutely hated the smell and wouldn’t want my mattress to smell like this.

I am 5’3" and 124 pounds, my husband is 5’11" and about 175 pounds. We are both primarily side sleepers with a little back sleeping too. My husband has mild arthritis in his back (lower, I believe). And I have sore shoulders and hips. I am 51, he is 53. When I first lay on a really soft mattress I love how this feels compared to a firm mattress. I am not sure if I have a preference of “laying on or laying in” the mattress. As long as it is soft, it feels very nice. But I do want to make sure my shoulders and hips are pressure free. My husband likes a soft mattress as long as his back will be supported and pain free.

I am also hoping to have a custom sized mattress made, 66" x 80", to replace my existing inner spring olympic queen sized mattress and a company who will refund and/or replace at no extra charge if necessary. I am looking for mattress and company recommendations! This is very challenging without being able to lay on the mattress! Thank you!

Hi Ruthie,

The first place I would begin your mattress research is the basic tutorial in post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices … and avoid the worst ones (including most of the major brands you mentioned or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality of the materials inside the mattress).

There are many independent manufacturers that are sold either factory direct or through better sleep shops that will build a mattress to any size you wish including Olympic Queen which is a much less common size as you probably know.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix!

I am wondering why Christeli is not yet on your member list? Unless they are now? I am looking at an old post…

What is your opinion of Christeli’s mattresses, Select Foam and Brooklyn Bedding compared to each other if I am looking for a mattress that will feel close to Tempurpedics Cloud Luxe? Both Brooklyn Bedding’s Cool Luxe or Pure Cool Luxe and Select Foam’s Cirrus Luxe compare themselves to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and I am wondering if knowing that I like the feeling of the Tempurpedic, how do I choose? They are similar but the Cirrus Luxe appears that it is more durable and may offer better support because it has some higher density foam (2" of an 8 lb soy). I am not sure which of the Christeli mattresses would feel closest to the Cloud Luxe because I haven’t spoken to anyone there yet but I am looking at the Palais, Lux Estate and Tiffany models. The 2 with a latex core sound appealing for their durability and quality. They also offer part of their memory foam as 8 lb. I haven’t ever slept on a very soft memory foam mattress and it feels great to lay on them in the store for a few minutes but I really don’t know how I will like it for a whole night. When I laid on an all latex mattress I didn’t like the feel of this as much as the Cloud Luxe memory foam but I don’t recall if the latex mattress I tested was supposed to be soft, medium or firm. I have read you say that at this point as I narrow options down I can’t make a bad decision but I would certainly appreciate any help you can offer in narrowing down my options further.

Thank you,
Ruthie

Hi Ruthie,

While I’ve talked with them a few times (mostly their customer service people) about other things … it’s never been the topic of our conversations and they haven’t asked me about becoming a member. They may not even know they are mentioned here.

I think that all of them are good options and represent good value (whichis why they are on the list of memory foam sources). When you have eliminated all the worst options and there are no clear “winners” then the only way to decide between them and make a final choice that is best for you would be based on your conversations and all the objective, subjective, and intangible factors that are most important to you.

You can read more about matching one mattress to another in post #9 here but if a manufacturer has free return shipping then I would assume that they are fairly confident that the similarities are close enough that they won’t be risking a loss on a free return if their customer doesn’t agree that they they are very close in terms of feel and performance.

You can read about the factors involved in durability and the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here. In general terms memory foam is more durable in higher densities until you reach about 6 lbs or so at which point the increased durability benefits of higher density memory foam is less.

When you are looking at an online choice that you can’t test in person then a more detailed conversation with the retailer or manufacturer is essential to find out which mattresses that may be available locally may be a close match to one of their models or how their mattress may feel for different people.

I would also make sure if you do go in this direction that you check the weight of the 8 lb topper just to make sure that it really is 8 lbs (see this thread which is the reason for the suggestion) NOTE ADDED: they are now using 6 lb memory foam in their mattresses

If you are considering an online mattress that matches one of the Tempurpedic line (such as the Cloud Luxe) then I would use the testing guidelines in the tutorial post to test the equivalent Tempurpedic. In the case of memory foam I would make sure that your testing is at least 20 - 30 minutes or longer (after you are fully relaxed) so that the memory foam has time to warm up with your body temperature. If your careful and objective testing indicates that the Cloud Luxe is a good match for you then an online mattress that was a good match for it would probably be a good choice. A few minutes is not nearly long enough to test a memory foam mattress (or any mattress) with a degree of accuracy that would be a good predictor for your sleeping experience at home. Testing for comfort alone or for the “showroom feel” of a mattress has lower odds of success than random chance alone (see this study). How well you test a mattress is one of the most important parts or a successful purchase.

I’m certainly happy to help with “how” to choose but what to choose it really up to your best judgement and preferences. In terms of quality and value none of your choices would be a mistake.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Can you please clarify what you mean by your statement below. I am confused…do you mean that an 8 lb density is less durable than a 6 lb density or that it stays the same as a 6 lb and just doesn’t get any more durable?

In general terms memory foam is more durable in higher densities until you reach about 6 lbs or so at which point the increased durability benefits of higher density memory foam is less.

Thank you,
Ruthie

Hi Ruthie,

Increased density is generally the single biggest (but not the only) factor in the durability of memory foam but once you reach about 6 lbs or so then at densities beyond this (6lbs) further increases in density will have a much smaller effect on durability. This means that 8 lb memory foam wouldn’t be much more durable than 6 lb memory foam but 6 lb memory foam would be much more durable than 4 lb memory foam.

Phoenix