pocket coils

Hi,

My quest for finding a comfortable mattress continues.

I have some questions about coils. I’ve been steered toward pocket coils because suposedly they are the best and provide the most comfort and pressure relief. I’ve slept on what i thought were pocket coils in hotels and been completely fine.

The last bed I had was a simmons with pocket coils and side padding and laying on my side actually gave me bursitis. the coils hurt me so much. i slept on an air mattress for a month before my sides felt better.

I purchased another mattress, but I thought the pocket coils were softer this time. it also has 3 in of latex and a soft knit cover over it.
But same thing. my side feels instantly painful and i can’t stand to sleep on it. And now that I’m sore, everything feels terrible. It felt fine in the store. But after lying down for a few hours, its really painful on my side. On my back, i can feel the coils pushing into me as well.

I’ve never had any problems before in my life and i’m always fine on hotel beds or at friend’s houses.

my old bed that was comfortable for 10 years was a double sided lower quality verlo with a basic spring unit. bonnell? and cotton and foam.

I’ve triend several different types of pocket coil beds, all hurt. I tried a bed in the box. This didn’t hurt the same why the springs did, but it didn’t allow for my shoulders to sink in much and caused pain, and the memory foam on top didn’t support my low back. (top too soft and bottom foam too hard).

any addtional advice?

I’ve tried 5 differnt beds in the last year and none have worked and i’ starting to lose hope.

i’m back to my old set-up again of some really firm latex pads (3 in) over the old bed. this actually makes my sides feel better. but kills my neck and shoulder.

Hi prerssurepts,

It’s difficult to generalize about any component or mattress design because there are so many design variations that each one may feel and perform very differently for you even if it uses the same general type of components and materials. There are dozens if not hundreds of different types of pocket coils for example and each of them can use a different combination of foam and other materials on top of them. Some may work well and some may not work at all for any particular person.

You can read a little more about innersprings in general in this article and in post #10 here.

[quote]I purchased another mattress, but I thought the pocket coils were softer this time. it also has 3 in of latex and a soft knit cover over it.
But same thing. my side feels instantly painful and i can’t stand to sleep on it. And now that I’m sore, everything feels terrible. It felt fine in the store. But after lying down for a few hours, its really painful on my side. On my back, i can feel the coils pushing into me as well.[/quote]

This could be connected to the firmness or softness of the latex, the thickness of the latex, or the overall design of the mattress and how well the combination of materials relieves pressure and keeps you in good alignment.

Have you talked with the retailer or manufacturer of the mattress about making any adjustments or any options you have available ?

[quote]any addtional advice?

I’ve tried 5 differnt beds in the last year and none have worked and i’ starting to lose hope.[/quote]

The best advice I can offer is to focus on accurate and objective testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which is the “bottom line” about what makes one mattress more suitable than the next. It also bypasses all the technical analysis about “better or worse” materials or designs and puts the focus on letting your body decide what works best for you. I would also try and determine the root cause behind why you are having so much difficulty on so many mattresses. Can you identify any patterns? Are they generally pressure issues, alignment issues, or “other” issues?

It may also be a good idea to choose a mattress where you have good options available to work with a retailer or manufacturer tthat offers good options after a purchase for fine tuning your comfort or support layers or that has a good return policy so your choices are less risky. If 5 mattresses have not been suitable for you over the last year then I would think that there may be a common factor which may be connected either to how you are making your choices or may have nothing at all to do with the mattresses themselves and more connected to other issues that may need the attention of a health professional and which may only be showing up after you have slept on them for a while (most likely connected with your sleeping posture and alignment).

I just don’t have enough information to even guess why so many mattresses over the last year may have all been unsuitable for you but I would try to identify a common pattern of why the mattresses you tried didn’t work (and correct it to the best of your ability) and also to try and identify a pattern of what the mattresses that do work for you have in common in terms of how they feel and perform and use them as a guideline. I would focus more on PPP than on “theory” and trying to determine which materials are “best” when the materials and components may be less important than how they interact together and the overall performance of the mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

What I can say is that the issues are related to pressure (hips and neck). I have had several medical check-ups, and nothing seems to be systemical wrong with me. Other than being sleep deprived.

I do know what has worked in the past is difficult to achieve given how much bedding has changed. Its hard to isolate all of the new variables.

1. everything is 1-sided now. I always had two sided. Does anybody make 2 sides? could that be it?

2. I always had a real box spring. Does this make much difference than the ridgid units now?

3a) new materials. I’m not sure if latex is right for me. but the alternative foams have been so smelly.

3b) new materials. memory foam does not support my low back. at least the memory that i tried with bed in a box (3in on top of support HD foam). also a memory foam topper i tried.

1. pocket coils. all the “better beds” have these. my old bed did not. Is is possible that old fashioned coils work better for me?

So all the loser beds i’ve choosen based on what was available and what I thought would be a good choice. But every scenerio was something new to me.

The confounding variable is that i’m always comfortable in hotel beds. always. i never woke up with sore parts. and i checked the beds and twice they were made by simmons. (same as two of the beds that didn’t work for me- but as you said there are infinite combinations out there- and trying to nail it down with S brand people is probably futile).

Right now i’m working with the store to try to get the current bed right. I’m swapping out to lighter gauge coils. should I put some of the latex sheets under the bed to cushion the springs as they compress to mimmick the flexing boxspring?

Hi prerssurepts,

There are still many “traditional” mattress which use innersprings with foam on top which are not much different in their basic design from several decades ago. Perhaps one of the biggest changes is the proliferation of pillowtops which have much thicker comfort layers and tend to encourage the choice of mattresses which are too soft for many people. Your ongoing issues would lead me to guess that you may be making choices that are too soft and not providing enough support for you.

Two sided mattresses are also still easily available if you stay away from mainstream mattress stores (such as chain stores and major brands) and focus your efforts on smaller manufacturers that are either sold through smaller sleep shops or factory direct (if there are any available close to you) but this is not likely to be the reason behind your issues. A two sided mattress can certainly add to durability but they can also be made in softer or firmer versions using any combination of materials so making a choice that is suitable for your specific needs and preferences would still be just as important as in a one sided mattress and a two sided mattress design could be just as suitable or unsuitable as a one sided mattress design.

When you are choosing a mattress I would work from the “bottom up” because the most important part of a successful mattress choice is good alignment where all the parts of your body are well supported in your natural alignment in all your sleeping positions and then adding “just enough” of a comfort layer to relieve pressure in your most pressure prone positions. In other words I would focus on making sure that your “middle zone” in particular is being well supported.

You may also benefit from a zoned mattress where the center part of the mattress is firmer than the upper and lower third which can help prevent the heavier pelvis from sinking down too far.

lack of firm enough support under your pelvis (either because the support layer is too soft or because the comfort layer is too thick/soft and allows you to sink down too far before your hips are “stopped” by the support layers) is the most common cause of back issues but can also cause stress in the joints which may appear to be caused by pressure. Pocket coils tend to be softer and more “giving” than innersprings which have helical wires which connect the springs together provide firmner support where springs act more in groups" than individually. Some pocket coils though can be much firmer than others.

Neck issues are most often connected to either sleeping in a “twisted” position or a pillow issue where your pillow doesn’t keep your head and neck in good alignment relative to the rest of your body.

Any materials in the right design for your specific body type and sleeping style can provide you with good PPP. The “key” is to make sure the design is right for you. If the deeper support layers are too soft for you or the comfort layers are too thick and soft for you then no matter what the material they could result in the issues you are having.

Different materials are more of a preference but good testing (and the help of some good local guidance) to make sure that a mattress you are considering keeps your spine and joints in neutral alignment is always the most important part of what makes one mattress suitable for you while another mattress isn’t.

It’s not uncommon at all that people are comfortable in hotel beds for the short while that they sleep on them and then end up buying the hotel mattress only to find that they are not nearly as comfortable or suitable as they thought they were when they sleep on them at home over the longer term. You will see many complaints that the “subjective” comfort that they remember sleeping on in the hotel doesn’t seem to match the mattress they purchased even though it’s the same mattress and many people believe that somehow they received the wrong mattress. They also don’t use particularly good quality materials so they tend to soften more quickly than mattresses that use higher quality materials in the comfort layers.

They are designed to appeal to a broad cross section of the population and tend to have firmer support layers, several inches of soft to medium foam on top (not too soft and not too firm), and then add a bedding package on top of this to provide the “cush” and the subjective feeling of comfort that people like and relate to “quality”. Of course there is also no specific type of hotel mattress because different hotels use a broad range of different mattresses but in general they cater to “averages”. Almost any mattress in good condition is an improvement over a poor mattress that so many people are sleeping on and because the difference between any “average” mattress in good condition and their own mattress appears to be such an improvement they start thinking that hotel mattress are somehow better or have some secret design even though they are really no different from similar mattresses that you could buy anywhere.

In most cases the knowledge, experience, and transparency of who you buy from can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

No I wouldn’t do this … you are likely to be better off with more solid support under the springs but of course I have little no knowledge about either you or the mattress and I can’t see you on the mattress or feel what you are feeling so local advice that can see you on the mattress and help you in “real time” is much more likely to be more accurate and helpful than any “theory at a distance”.

If I had to guess it would be that you are choosing mattresses that have support layers that are too soft for your body type and sleeping style and that your issues are more connected to alignment and sinking down too far (causing stress on your joints) than they are to pressure issues.

No matter what combination of materials or components are in your mattress … everything boils down to whether it provides you with good support/alignment (first) and good pressure relief (second) in all your sleeping positions.

Phoenix

I understand that hotel beds might not be the answer, as they are replaced often, and whatnot, but i’ve never experienced intense discomfort like i have with the beds i’ve purchased. I’ve spent a weeks at a time for traveling at one hotel and been comfortable.

I don’t think its an alignment issue. The discomfort is like this: say you’ve just been sitting in a stiff wooden chair listening to a lecture for two hours. the chair supports you well, but when you get up, your backside feels sore and numb and tingling. That’s the pressure discomfort I feel i my skin and muscles on my side after lying down for an hour or so. and my skin looks indented.

It seems like i can’t get the padding and cushioning right. and maybe, pocket coils place too much localized pressure in one area, whereas the tied together old coils distribute the load?

I’m almost regretting the customizable-changability of the latest bed- because i feel like whatever I try with the pads doesn’t work.

Should i start with really firm foam over the coils so i don’t feel them? and then add softer foam?

What i had that didn’t work was ( 1 in 1 in 1 in) med soft soft talalay latex over the 14.5 gauge pocket coils.

Hi pressurepts,

This would depend a lot on the details of the foam over the coils and the details of the coils as well but in general pocket coils are more conforming than coils that are connected with helicals and would redistributes the load on a mattress away from the pressure points than coils that are connected with helicals which tend to be firmer and less conforming. Pocket coils are more “point elastic” which means that in general they can redistribute weight more effectively and need less foam on top of them than firmer innersprings that are less conforming and need more foam on top to isolate the feel of the coil.

Again I don’t really have enough information about either you or the mattress to know for sure and the manufacturer or retailer of your mattress would be able to provide much more effective help than I could (it would be helpful if you could post what they said when you talked with them) but in general firmer foam over the coils could be a good idea yes because the firmer foam could even out the response of the coils below and reduce the likelihood you would feel them and then you could use progressively softer layers for the pressure relief you need. You may also need more foam thickness over the coils.

Phoenix