polyfoam core plus latex top layer for special needs adult?

I have an autistic son who tends to move around quite a bit in bed and has worn out successive innerspring mattresses. After doing some reading I was thinking a good fit for him (btw he is about 200 lbs) might be a firm polyfoam core with a relatively firm latex top layer, perhaps 6 and 3 inches respectively. Does this make sense? Any better suggestions? If you agree with the polyfoam can you recommend a source, a quick look at some of the members shows they only carry latex and memory foam? Thanks.

Hi Pspa123,

It would certanly make sense from a durability point of view and from a budget point of view as well if you are looking for something in a lower budget range than an all latex mattress that still has much of the benefits of sleeping on latex. There is more about a latex/polyfoam hybrid vs an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

I don’t have any specific suggestions no (I don’t provide specific mattress suggestions because there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to make specific suggestions for someone else … see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) but the choice of materials or the type of mattress is always a personal preference not a “better worse” choice. Regardless of which materials or type of mattress you think your son would prefer though … I would make sure that you confirm that it uses high quality and durable materials in the upper layers especially (see the quality guidelines here) so that there aren’t any weak links in the mattress.

Some of the better online sources for lower budget latex or latex hybrids I’m aware of are listed in posts #3 and #4 here. There may also be some local options available to you and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the local options or possibilities I’m aware of as well.

Phoenix

Thank you. I am in 02465 zip code. I understand you can’t give specific recommendations, but do you agree that the firm polyfoam/latex comfort layer as a general matter would make more sense in this situation than an innerspring? He moves a LOT which I am sure is what has worn out the innerspring which is a highly rated innerspring by the way.

Oh one more thing. From reading elsewhere on the site it seems that for a core, HD polyfoam is good enough and it wouldn’t be necessary to go to HR polyfoam which from a quick look at a local source seem more expensive than latex?

Hi Pspa123,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Boston area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here. You certainly have some good local options available to you.

Not necessarily no. The weakest link of most mattresses is in the upper layers of the mattress which are most subject to softening and breakdown and not in the support materials or components in the mattress and the biggest durability issue with most innerspring mattresses is not in the innerspring itself which is most likely still in relatively good condition. A good quality innerspring in the right design can be “built like a tank” and if the comfort layers are high quality materials and it is a suitable design (especially a two sided mattress) it can last for many years even for those that are in very high weight ranges (400 lbs or higher)

The choice between a good quality polyfoam support core and an innerspring support core would be a preference issue (assuming that both of them are high quality materials or components) rather than a “better worse” issue. There is more about the different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here.

Yes … HD polyfoam is generally fine as a support component in a mattress and for higher weight ranges or for applications where greater durability is important then a minimum of 2 lb density would generally be a good idea.

There are some foam quality guidelines in post #4 here that may be helpful and post #4 here and the posts it links to also has much more information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people.

Phoenix

Do you know anything about foamonline.com or foamorder.com? Thanks very much. I am trying to find a source of foam, obviously, to use with a latex top layer; the hybrid mattresses I have seen available don’t seem to have a firm enough polyfoam layer and or are much more expensive than buying the components would be. Thanks!

Hi Pspa123,

Both Foamonline and Foamorder are reliable suppliers and are listed in the component list here as a source for polyfoam but based on some comparisons here and here some of the others may have better pricing.

Phoenix