Polyfoam/Innerspring Hybrids w/ quality materials?

Hi Phoenix,

So I bought the Natural Escape from My Green Mattress, and though Tim and everyone were very helpful, the mattress is just not suitable for me, it’s too firm.

I first added a 3" soft latex topper to see if that would help, but that was too plush and my girlfriend and I were sinking into it, and now I’m trying a 1" soft latex topper, which is better, but it’s still not really working for us.

I’ve always like the feel of innerspring mattresses with some polyfoam in them, and I don;t know why I didn’t follow my gut in the first place.

Would you be able to recommend any companies who make a polyfoam/innerspring hybrid mattress that use quality/durable materials? I know polyfoam density is the main culprit…

Thank you, as always, for your help! :slight_smile:

Best,
Damon

Hi damonmcm70,

While you certainly made a great quality/value choice … I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t work out for you as well as you hoped for in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences).

It may be worth considering a 2" topper (which would be a very common “average” choice) using the type of material that you tend to prefer since it sounds like 1" may be too thin for you and 3" may be too thick.

If a mattress is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know whether a specific topper in combination with your mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP would be based on your own careful testing or personal experience. If you can’t test the combination in person then there is always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

Which type of topper would be a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice and would depend on on the types of materials and the “feel” that you tend to prefer. The thickness and firmness that would have the best chance of success would depend on how much additional softness and pressure relief that you need.

If you decide to try a different topper then there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable supplier that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market that can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

Innerspring mattresses that use polyfoam in the comfort layers are the most common mattresses in the industry and aren’t really considered to be a hybrid (see this article about the different types or categories of mattresses). There are thousands of different versions of innerspring mattresses that use many different types of innersprings in a wide range of designs and firmness levels.

If I’m not mistaken you are in the New York City area and the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around New York City (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on your local list is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you as always for the quick reply!

I am interested in the Charles P Rogers Power Core Estate 9000, and it appears from this post here https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/on-the-fence that you approve of the thickness of the polyfoam layers, but have you ever heard whether or not they are of a density that won’t pose a durability issue?

Thanks Phoenix :slight_smile:

Damon

Hi damonmcm70,

I don’t believe that they disclose the density of their polyfoam layers but as you can see in the quality/durability guidelines here if any lower quality/density or unknown materials in the upper layers of a mattress aren’t more than “about an inch or so” (usually in the quilting layers of the mattress) then they wouldn’t be a durability issue.

Phoenix

Excellent, thanks Phoenix :slight_smile:

Damon