Posh and Lavish mattress - back pain!!

I purchased a Posh and Lavish mattress last year. It felt awesome in the store. I have had lumbar surgery to remove 2 cysts and my lower back has been killing me. I noticed, while on a trip and staying at a hotel, that my back did not hurt during the entire trip. I am wondering if I have made a huge mistake by purchasing such an expensive mattress. Has anyone else had a similar experience with this mattress

Hi ddpalmer.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum.

Sorry to hear of your surgeries and associated pain.

Can I ask which Posh and Lavish model you purchased? Would you be willing to share your BMI and sleeping position(s) with us as well?

To quote Phoenix from this thread When you’re sleeping better at a hotel, it’s more often than not an indicator that your current mattress is in poor condition, as opposed to the appropriateness for you of the specific mattress you tried at the hotel. Some people certainly do prefer a firmer innerspring product, which is commonly what is found at hotels.

Most hotels purchase mattresses via the contract bedding divisions of mattress companies. These mattresses will tend to be on the firm side, with extra plushness derived from the top-of-bed products the hotels use. These mattresses don’t tend to use higher-quality componentry, as hotels have to change them out quite frequently due to use/abuse.

…It’s possible that your support needs changed upon having surgery. But, since you did have a lumbar surgery and are experiencing pain in that area, it’s also important to follow up with your doctor.

NikkiTMU

I purchased the True Release Pillowtop mattress, which was the top of their line. I am 5’5" and weigh about 164 and am a side sleeper. The delivery guys told me that they never had anyone to request a return on this brand of mattress. I really liked the plush feel of the topper in the showroom. I feel like I need the plush topper for my shoulders and hips, but I really need some back support. Any advice is welcomed!!
The mattress we had prior to this one was a Chattham and Wells plush pillowtop. We loved it but it had sink holes where we slept and it was time for a new mattress. I searched for a new Chattham and Wells mattress but they must not make those anymore.

Hi ddpalmer.

I did a little research into the Chattham and Wells Plush Pillowtop and while I couldn’t find the full specs I did find this…

Comfort Layers:
• 100% Natural Latex
• Convoluted Foam
• HR Foam

Support System:
• Chattam Edge System
• 720 8" Encased Coil

Alternatively, the Posh + Lavish Release True Pillowtop appears to be an all foam configuration, as opposed to an innerspring pillow top. This could explain a little bit of the difference in support that you are feeling.

You mentioned you are a side sleeper. Generally speaking, a good starting point for a good comfort layer for a side sleeper is 3" and then depending on weight, body shape, preferences, and the firmness of the support layers, to go up or down from there. Most side sleepers will fall in the range of from 2" -4". Without an appropriate comfort layer, a side sleeper will end up with pressure points during the course of the night and could have symptoms of numbness, soreness, localized redness, or end up tossing and turning all night as your body tries to relieve the pressure.

Also, as a side sleeper, the lumbar pain you are experiencing may come from insufficient secondary support that comes from the upper layers of the mattress that are not deep enough or that do not offer sufficient pushback for the recessed area of your waist, or could come from some spinal twisting or a combination of either. As a temporary solution, you could play with a “DIY” zoning by placing pillows or rolled towels under your waist to see if this helps alleviate any of the pain. If so, it’s easier to identify the comfort layer of your mattress as a culprit.

I also forgot to ask previously, but how long have you been sleeping on this mattress?

NikkiTMU