Posh + Lavish Premier or Bandy Bedding

Thank you so much for this informative website! I visited over 10 furniture and mattress stores here in Lexington, where I looked at mostly the same mattresses with different labels and next to no information before I found you.
On your recommendation to someone else, I called Bandy Bedding down in Bowling Green, and out of my extreme frustration, I was ready to drag my husband 2 1/2 hours each way to look at beds at the factory where we could know exactly what was in everything they make. (BTW - Bandy has closed all of their other locations other than their factory store in Bowling Green.)
BUT I stopped by one more store - again one that you had recommended to someone else - to see if we might be able to save ourselves a trip. Wildcat Mattress in Nicholasville, KY had some of the mattresses I had seen all over town, but they also had brands I had only heard of on this site and one I had never heard of Posh + Lavish. They also had an extremely well informed sales team that was happy to e-mail manufacturers for even more information. Lucky for me, Posh+Lavish’s bottom of the line is my favorite so far. I really liked the Premier Firm, BUT when I came home and did more research I found that there is only 1" of talalaya latex on top and 1" of dunlop on the bottom. Is that enough? It is enough for the feel currently, and I am sold on latex for durability, but is an inch over springs enough to be durable? Also - learning that there is only 1" of latex on top kind of put a damper on me being impressed that they offer a warranty that covers 3/4" body indentations…
Also, I noticed that the wrapped springs go all the way to the edges of the mattress, which gives the mattress a VERY firm edge, which I love - but do you think that design will be durable.
I understand that Posh+Lavish is only about 2 years old (even though the founders have a lot of latex experience), and the Premier is even newer than that, and that makes outside opinions even more important imo.
I also e-mailed Bandy to find out if they have anything pre-made that we could try out that would be similar. I know they could custom make us something, but that makes me nervous. I am feeling very picky at this point.
BTW - We both have BMIs just over 30, sleep mostly on our stomachs, prefer a firm mattress, and I HATE memory foam and “normal” body indentations. My husband insists on putting on his socks while sitting on the edge of the bed, which seems to be very hard on our mattresses. I really would like to be done with this task for a decade if possible.
Thank you for any advice!

Hi Peaches28,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome.

I believe they use the Leggett and Platt Quantum Edge Combi-Zone for the innerspring unit in the Premier, which is a good quality innerspring unit. On top of that is 1" of natural Talalay latex, and beneath that is 1" of natural Dunlop latex. These would all be good quality and durable materials, and whether or not they would be “enough” would come down to your own personal comfort preference. There’s certainly nothing “wrong” with a mattress using thinner comfort layers, especially on top of a pocketed spring unit, and some people do prefer it. And a ¾" is a pretty standard impression limit for mattresses containing latex (1.5" is more common for mattresses using polyfoams).

It’s a good quality edge system and can be more durable (and bendable) than the foam encasement system it replaces.

I’m not sure what “opinions” you’re looking for, unless you’re referring to the more objective questions about the componentry used within the mattress, which would be the most important facts for you to acquire. The most reliable way to assess the quality and durability of a mattress regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label is to make sure you know the type and quality of all the materials inside it so you can identify any lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress. Kurt Ling, one of the principals of Posh + Lavish, was also one of the founders of Pure Latex Bliss (now Pure Talalay Bliss).

Sleeping prone with a BMI in that range would generally require a bit “firmer” of a surface comfort, so I think you are considering appropriate options.

Mattress companies will tell you, “There’s a reason chairs were invented.” :lol: Sitting on the edge of a mattress, regardless of the quality of the edge system, will cause excessive wear in that area. The edge reinforcement system is primarily there to minimize product roll-off when sleeping close to the edge of the product.

While it’s not possible to quantify how long any mattress will last for any particular person, if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new and meets the minimum quality specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials that are well above the minimum guidelines like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer.

It’s always more realistic to think of about 10 years as a maximum reasonable expectation for any mattress no matter what the quality or durability of the materials and then treat any additional time after that as “bonus time” because after about 10 years the limiting factor in the useful life of a mattress will often be the changing needs and preferences of the person sleeping on the mattress and even if a mattress is still in good condition after a decade … a mattress that was suitable for someone 10 years earlier may not be the best “match” any longer.

Having said that … with higher quality materials throughout a mattress and/or for people whose needs and preferences or physical condition or body type hasn’t changed much over 10 years then “bonus time” or even “extended bonus time” with higher quality/density and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam or natural fibers is much more likely than with less durable materials.

Phoenix