Prana Asana 5 Super Plush or Sterns & Foster Carrie Plush-Have $1300 from a warranty and must buy at

I have a $1300 credit from a store to go toward a new king sized mattress. Finances are extremely tight right now but hopefully won’t in two years when several things change. I only have about $1000 that I can spend in addition to the $1300 so I’m kind of limited to this one store that is giving me full price back on my 4 ½ year old mattress.
I’ve read the “How to look for and find the best mattress … for YOU! READ FIRST” in this forum along with many other posts over the past few days. Thanks so much for all the education! You guys are like Cramer on Mad Money—helping the little guy.
I would really like to spend $3400-3800 and get a fully latex mattress from custom sleep designs or maybe another one of the several online factory direct makers recommended because that seems like the best solution to my problem. I had back surgery on my L5 S1 that has not helps much and my wife has terrible neck shoulder problems. We are both side sleepers and something not soft enough drives my wife crazy. But the problem with all these soft plush “traditional” mattresses is that they break down quickly due to poor components. I love the idea that you can replace components of beds.
Right now with my budget, I don’t have the option of picking a $3,400 solution or even some of the $1600 latex solutions from those who use a lot of HD polyfoam like Brooklyn Bedding.
So Right now I just need a mattress that will get me through two years for absolutely no more than $700 -$800 in addition to my $1300 credit. Any new bed right now would be a leap forward from what I know is causing me so much pain now.
My wife and I have narrowed the search down to two beds.
Prana Lotus Asana 5 Super Plush or Sterns & Foster Carrie Plush
Here are my concerns:
Mattress 1:
Sterns& Foster has terrible reviews.
The Plush portion of the comfort level and quilt level are so nice now—my wife calls the bed “The Cloud”—that I’m concerned that it won’t last.
Do you think it would keep from sagging for at least two years?
Mattress 2:
The Pranasleep Lotus has 6" of 2 lbs HD polyfoam with 3" of Eco-friendly Talalay over that and 3" of soft polyfoam and synthetic breathable fabric over that. I get that the top is the weakest link but like the question above would this be okay for 2 years.
Is 2 lbs of core HD enough to get by for two years without back damaging sag?
Which of these two mattresses would be more likely to make it through the two years without sag?

Thanks, help, cheers
-Eric

Hi Prof_Admiral_H_Nelson,

The only way to even guess at this would be to know the specifics of the materials in the mattress which unfortunately they don’t provide. It would at least be helpful though to know the generic layering of the Carrie Plush and I would need you to find the details of the layering online and link to it (you may have to find the same mattress with a different name) so I wouldn’t have to take the time to search it out.

Once you provide this … I can at least make some very rough comparisons but how long it lasts for you will also depend on how much “inside your range” you are in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) and on your body type. If you choose a mattress that is “on the edge” of being too soft in terms of support … then even the initial foam softening over the course of the first 90 days could result in the loss of comfort or support that could push you over the edge of what is necessary for your needs and preferences. If you make it past the first 90 days or so … then the odds are better that it will be fine for 2 - 5 years which is when many people who have issues with their S & F mattress seem to start to noticing them.

Again this would depend entirely on where in the range of your needs and preferences you are and how much foam softening you can tolerate before you go over the edge.

The 2 lb polyfoam is not likely to be the weak link of the mattress with 3" of Talalay and 3" of polyfoam over it. It’s the soft polyfoam in the top layers that will be the issue and this could present problems very quickly if the foam is lower density and there is little “room” for foam softening before it goes over the line for you.

Again It isn’t really possible to know until you can provide more information (especially about the S & F).

Overall though … I would tend to choose a firm or even extra firm mattress that had the thinnest possible layers of polyfoam in the top layers (which will also be less costly) and then use your extra money to buy a topper for the pressure relief and comfort you need.

If you let me know which store you are dealing with it would also be helpful so I could take a look at what else they carry which may be better options than either of these.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Here are the best specs I could find on the Carrie:
http://www.1stopmattress.com/Stearns-Foster-Carrie-Full-Firm-Mattress-p/snfe524103f.htm

I could not find any real details about the Prana anywhere so we can forget that one.

What is the best latex topper would you recomend under $700. Is it possible to stack two and get better results? Maybe one medium support and one soft? What is the best way to marry the topper(s) to the bed so it stays in place? What would be the best quilt/cover for the topper?

Thank again.

-Cheers

Would the eastern king 3" Blended Talalay Soft 19-22 ILD with wool (520) be a good one on a firm mattress? Looking for a plush but supportive feel.
Toppers - Sleep EZ

or combining two on Brooklyn Bedding - Brooklyn Bedding

2" Talalay Latex Topper

• Mattress Size: King
  • Firmness: Plush (Level 7)

on top of a
3" Talalay Latex Topper

• Firmness: Cushion Firm (Level 5)

What would be the best way to marry these two layers to the mattress and/or each other? Does a company make a 5" cover to wrap (zip) these two together. If there is a 5" cover how does one marry it to the bed. Is it wise to have a thin 1" or so layer of wool quilting between the latex and the sleeper?

City Mattress is the retailer: Best Online Mattress & Bed Store | City Mattress

Again Tx.

-Cheers

Any good links on this site concerning latex pillows. Something that covers the best type for side sleepers and back sleepers and any advice on noraml latex pillows vs. shredded.

-Tx
-Cheers

Hi Prof_Admiral_H_Nelson,

The pillow thread here may be helpful.

Shredded latex pillows have the advantage of being “scrunchy” which means that they can be scrunched or flattened to be more adaptable to multiple sleeping positions … as well of course having a different and somewhat less bouncy or resilient feel depending on the type of “shreds” that are inside the pillow and the density of the fill.

Phoenix

Master Phoenix B) ,
What is the best latex topper would you recommend under $700. Is it possible to stack two and get better results? Maybe one medium support and one soft? What is the best way to marry the topper(s) to the bed so it stays in place? What would be the best quilt/cover for the topper?

Would the eastern king 3" Blended Talalay Soft 19-22 ILD with wool (520) be a good one on a firm mattress? Looking for a plush but supportive feel.

or combining two on Brooklyn Bedding - Brooklyn Bedding

2" Talalay Latex Topper

• Firmness: Plush (Level 7)

on top of a
3" Talalay Latex Topper

• Firmness: Cushion Firm (Level 5)
    Both $650+/-

What would be the best way to marry these two layers to the mattress and/or each other? Does a company make a 5" cover to wrap (zip) these two together. If there is a 5" cover how does one marry it to the bed? Is it wise to have a thin 1" or so layer of wool quilting between the latex and the sleeper?
Thanks Again.
-Cheers

Hi Prof_Admiral_H_Anderson,

I don’t recommend “the best” of anything because what is best depends on the needs and preferences of each person. My goal is to help you with how to choose what is “best” for you regardless of how well it may work or perform for anyone else. “Best” is always relative to each person and their unique body type, sleeping positions, and preferences.

Yes … in theory you could put one topper over another but I think it would be much more complex in most cases to choose the combination that you preferred than just using one. I am a big believer in simplicity and it’s difficult enough to choose a single topper and try to estimate how it will interact with you and the mattress you are using it on much less introduce a second variable into your choices. At the very least I would choose one at a time.

Most toppers just lay on the mattress and then your mattress protector and sheets are enough to keep them in place.

Again there are no answers to these questions because each person may have their own preferences. The only answer is the one that feels and performs the best for you and has the best chance of providing the specific benefits you are looking for.

In terms of quality and value (which is all I can really speak to) all the toppers you are looking at would make good choices but only your own experience on the mattress/topper combination you choose can tell for certain how well it will work for you in combination with your “firm” mattress (each person has their own definition of what a firm mattress is)

The best way to choose a topper is to test the same or a very similar mattress/topper combination locally so you can use your own experience to know how well it works for you.

If that isn’t possible or practical … then the guidelines and links in post #2 here in combination with your conversations with the manufacturer or retailer of the toppers you are considering so you can take advantage of their knowledge and experience about the products they sell is the best way to decide on which topper you believe would be the most suitable for your needs and preferences and which one is the best “fit” for your “personal value equation”.

In the end … each person is unique and nobody else can tell for certain what you will feel on any mattress or mattress / topper combination so personal testing and/or using the guidelines and information available to you and talking with people on the phone is the best way of increasing your odds of making your best choice.

Post #4 here has a list of component suppliers and if you look under covers and talk with them then if you end up needing it you would likely find one that will make a 5" cover that could be used to cover two toppers … but I would personally only work on one variable or topper at a time and when you have slept on that topper/mattress combination for long enough (I would suggest a couple of weeks at least) then use your personal experience on that combination to decide if you need a second one.

Phoenix

Thanks so much Jedi Master.

Best regards!
-Cheers
Eric