PROBLEM WITH ADJUSTABLE BEDS DIRECT

I am so upset! I researched latex mattresses for almost 2 years and finally decided on Dreamfoam 10" ultimate dream latex. I also wanted an adjustable bed and researched them to death. I was planning on buying my mattress from Amazon but found a great deal on an adjustable bed from AdjustableBeds Direct. They also had the same mattress as the Dreamfoam but they said it was 2.2 lb density which is better than the one on Amazon so I bought it from them.

I was suggested an ILD of 26 which I knew was a level 6. I thought it would be too firm from reading reviews so I suggested a 24. When I received the mattress it turned out to be the Dreamfoam after all. The invoice said the mattress was a level 8 which is a 19.

The mattress is so soft I was in agony sleeping on it. There is no support in my lower back… I contacted Adjustable Beds and was told that as per their policy that I keep it for 60 days.

Well, after 60 days I called them and I said that I was given the wrong mattress, - 19 instead of a 24, and that I shouldn’t have to pay to exchange it. They told me that they are the manufacturers of Dreamfoam and that they manufacture their latex differently from retail and that their 19 is really a 24.

Adjustable Beds told me it would cost me too much money to ship the mattress back, that the box alone would be 100.00. They said I’d be better off keeping the mattress and to order another one from Amazon at my own expense, because it would be cheaper to buy a new mattress from Amazon than to exchange the mattress with them. WTH!!!

What is the point of a sleep trial then? Why not just say upfront that if you don’t like your mattress you are stuck with it? Here is their policy. Buyer Beware!

Frequently Asked Mattress Sleep Trial(Return Policy)Questions:

Note: All trials are from date of purchase.

Q: Do you have a sleep trial on your mattresses?
A: Yes, We offer a manufacturer direct *120 night sleep trial to make sure your happy. No questions asked.

Q: So I get to try it for 120 nights and what if I don’t like the mattress?
A: You must try the mattress for a minimum 60 days. If you do not like the product you can return it or swap it for a different mattress.

Q: Ok so if I don’t like the mattress I can swap for something different?
A: Most people who do not like the mattress usually have a firmness preference. We try to adjust the feel first before return.

Q: What if I do not like the mattress at all and I just want my money back?
A: No problem! Call us and we’ll give you an RMA # and once the product is received we will credit your credit or debit card. All products must be returned before the 120th day as part of our policy.

Q: What fee’s am I responsible for? Is there a restocking fee?
A: The only fee’s you will be responsible for are the shipping charges associated with the order. No restocking fee’s.

Q: Why do I have to keep the mattress for 60 days? This seems long to us?
A: Sometimes products take a little getting used to because they are so comfy and pressure reducing, so we want to be sure you gave it your best effort in getting comfortable with it. Most people are happy within the first night, but some people take longer to adjust.

Q: Ok so one more time, If I don’t like the mattress and return it I do get my money back right?
A: Absolutely correct! You get a credit back in the same manner you paid for the item. Ex: Credit Card

Q: What if I CANCEL my order after I make a purchase? Do I still get my money back?
A: This has been a sticky topic for many years for ALL online companies and we want to give you the truth upfront.

SIMPLY STATED … Shipping & handling, having men load trucks and unload trucks costs money. As we ALL know, Fuel these days is ridiculously expensive and costs lots of money. So if you order a product from our company and we do not have any of the above shipping, handling, Charges, etc … We will be glad to cancel your order with absolutely NO FEE’s because fair is fair and honesty is our policy.

BUT… If we ship any part of the order and have to stop the shipment and turn it around and do ALL of the above again on the way back … This is very costly. As long as you cancel before the product(s) ship There will be no charge to you. If you cancel after the product ships and we have to stop it and turn it around, you will be responsible for all fee’s associated with shipping & handling, etc … These fee’s will be deducted from the credit you receive when we credit you. Just so you know as a consumer we have only had 2 people in all our years in business cancel after a product shipped, so the chances are very low.

NOTE: We do not take back free giveaways, hi low beds, or Adjustable Bed bases.
NOTE: All Layaway order deposits and payments are non refundable

Please Call 1-800-993-1012 With Any Questions or Clarification On Our Policies.

Hi car8857,

I removed Dreamfoam from your topic title because you purchased your mattress from Adjustable Beds Direct not from Dreamfoam and they are completely different companies.

I’m sorry to hear about your experiences but sometimes when something sounds too good to be true then it probably is. A mattress can’t be the “same” mattress and also be a “better” mattress at the same time.

Dreamfoam doesn’t have a mattress that uses 26 ILD Talalay latex and most people wouldn’t be able to feel an ILD difference of only 2 ILD anyway (2 ILD is also inside the variance that you would find in different parts of the same latex layer as well).

They also aren’t the manufacturers of Dreamfoam mattresses.

I have no idea what they mean when they are trying to tell you that their 19 is “really a 24” and this makes no sense to me.

If you have an order confirmation that clearly indicates that the mattress you ordered was a different mattress than the one you received and they made a mistake then if they are a reputable dealer they should be willing to replace your mattress for the mattress you ordered at no cost to you and you shouldn’t have to go through the trial period or pay for their mistake.

If for some reason they aren’t willing to correct a mistake that they made then you would have the option of reporting them to the BBB and to your local state attorney general’s office (that deals with consumer complaints) and you could also initiate a dispute with your credit card as well.

If the mattress you received was the same as what you ordered then you would be subject to the terms and conditions of their trial period (which is very different from ordering from Amazon which in turn is different from ordering directly from Dreamfoam).

Their return policy includes …

Which means that you would be responsible for the cost of shipping both ways (the original shipping cost when it was shipped to you compressed and the return shipping as well along with any packaging costs) and a mattress that is no longer compressed would need to be returned by common carrier (truck freight) which can be very costly.

I would agree that there is little point to a trial period if the cost of returning a mattress is close to the cost of purchasing it in the first place and would be prohibitive.

It would also be helpful if you could post a picture of the law tag on your mattress on the forum to see which mattress you purchased.

Their “story” certainly doesn’t sound right to me and it’s unfortunate that you chose to purchase from them instead of Amazon or Dreamfoam itself (assuming that your mattress is even a Dreamfoam mattress) and I would agree with you that when you are dealing with an unknown retailer that “buyer beware” would be a good idea.

Phoenix

Thank you for your response

.I am so upset! I researched latex mattresses for almost 2 years and finally decided on Dreamfoam 10" ultimate dream latex. I also wanted an adjustable bed and researched them to death. I was planning on buying my mattress from Amazon but found a great deal on an adjustable bed from AdjustableBeds Direct. They also had the same mattress as the Dreamfoam but they said it was 2.2 lb density which is better than the one on Amazon so I bought it from them.

I understand what you are saying about a "same vs better"mattress. What I meant was that their bed had the exact same description and specs as the Dreamfoam with the exception of the support foam density. I will take a picture of the tag when I get home.

Sorry, I don’t know how to “quote”, lol.

Hi car8857,

I’m not sure which mattress you actually purchased or who made it (Brooklyn Bedding which is Dreamfoam’s sister company may be making some of their mattresses and Adjustable Beds Direct certainly wouldn’t be the manufacturer) but the knowledge, experience, and integrity of the store you buy from and their return/exchange policy can be just as important a part of your personal value equation and the “value” of a mattress purchase as the mattress itself (especially if you are purchasing an online mattress that you haven’t tried in person).

I’m looking forward to seeing the picture of the law tag. If it turns out that your mattress was made by Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam then they would be the one that deals with any warranty issues (if you happen to be of the very few that has a defective mattress) but the retailer you buy from is the one that sets the return and exchange policy that would apply to your purchase.

All you need to do is highlight the part that you want to quote and then click the “quote” icon above the window that you type in (the one that looks like this). I’ve added quotes to your post.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I tried posting a photos of my mattress, along with documentation all in one message. I tried 2 browsers and the attachments wouldn’t send. I am going to try them seperately.

Thanks, Carolyn

Hi car8857,

Thanks for adding the pictures and I’m glad you were able to attach them. You can attach up to 9 attachments in a single post. If you want to attach multiple attachments in a single post then once you have clicked the “insert” button for your first attachment then you can click the next “add file” button (just below the first one) for the next attachment and then when you’ve clicked “insert” for the second attachment then you would just click the next “add file” button for the third attachment etc. but it’s OK the way they are in separate posts as well.

If you have any other attachments that you would like to include and are having any difficulty you can always send them to me in an email at the contact address at the top right of the page and I’ll attach them to your post for you.

It’s clear from the law tags that you purchased the Ultimate Dreams latex mattress which is manufactured by Brooklyn Bedding although it doesn’t say which firmness level you ordered. It’s unfortunate that you purchased from a retailer that has such a costly return policy and you probably would have been better off purchasing your mattress directly from Dreamfoam which has a 45 day return policy that only costs $99 to return the mattress. They also have a 10% discount on their mattress compared to purchasing from Amazon which has a 30 day return policy that is also more reasonable than Adjustable Beds Direct as well (see post #11 here).

Phoenix

If the invoice says 24 ild and the bed tag says 19 that clearly is a mistake. They told me that they are the manufacturer and they manufacturer their latex with a range of 19 to 24. Since the bed is in fact made by Dreamfoam, Adjustable Beds are obviously liars.

Hi car8857,

I would completely agree that they weren’t telling you the truth about the manufacturer of the mattress you purchased or the firmness options that are available.

Phoenix

Adjustable beds made good on the order and sent me a replacement bed in the correct ILD at no cost. Thank you!!!

Carolyn

Hi car8857,

Thanks for the update … that’s great to hear :slight_smile:

Phoenix