protection of latex mattress

What is your recommendation for a cover over a 19 ILD latex mattress so as not to affect the purpose of the latex. Wool? if so how thick?
The top 4 inches of my new mattress are soft because of arthritis and multiple trigger points with 6 inches of 32 ILD. I do not want to change the resiliency, but would like to protect the mattress. What are your thoughts on electric mattress pads on latex? Mattress pads in general? Thanks in advance, Diane

Hi truesdal,

I should clarify some terminology first just to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

A mattress cover (or ticking) is the material that is used to enclose your mattress and is part of the mattress itself. Is this what you are looking for and are you currently sleeping on the raw latex (with just your sheets and bedding over it)?

If this is the case then the type of cover is really a matter of personal preference but in general the choice will be between a thinner stretch knit cover and a quilted cover. There is more about the pros and cons of each in post #12 here and there is more about the pros and cons of a wool quilted cover in post #6 here. The better sources I’m aware of for mattress covers are listed in post #4 here and if you do decide on a thinner stretch knit cover then post #4 here lists the better sources I’m aware of that sell them.

If your mattress already has a mattress cover and all you are looking for is a mattress protector to protect your mattress from accidents and spills and the body fluids and oils that we release each night and to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition with the least possible effect on the mattress itself then post #89 here has more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors.

A mattress pad is meant to add some additional softness to the mattress (it’s “in between” a protector and a topper in terms of thickness) and is used if your mattress needs some fine tuning and additional softness although some of them can also double up as a protector as well but in general a mattress pad is thicker than a mattress protector and will have a more significant effect on the feel of your mattress and it’s ability to contour to the shape of your body. There is more about mattress pads in post #10 here.

They won’t harm the latex so they can be a suitable choice for those that tend to sleep too cold and and more “passive” temperature regulating materials (such as wool) aren’t enough although they will also affect the “feel” of the latex underneath them to some degree.

Phoenix

The mattress has a very nice covering that’s elastic adding to the softness of the bed. I was thinking about a very thin wool pad which would keep me cool in the summer and help distribute heat in winter. I didn’t know if it would affect the much needed softness of the bed. Also, we have always used an electric warming pad plus an electric blanket to preheat the bed before turning them off before sleep. The pad might make the mattress feel firmer? Whjat are your recommendations? Thanks, Diane

I think the Dormeir wool mattress protector by St. Geneve would be ideal for your situation. Thin and stretchy, doesn’t affect the feel of my mattress and is very good at temperature regulation. You may even find you won’t need to heat up your bed with an electric pad after getting this yet it doesn’t sleep hot in the summer.
I have sent you a private message about your bed.

Hi truesdal,

I also agree with magpie that the St Dormeir protector (vs a thicker wool mattress pad) would be a good choice both to protect your mattress, to provide the temperature regulating benefits of wool, and because it’s thinner and has some stretch to have less effect on the “feel” and contouring of your mattress.

It would depend on the specifics of the heated mattress pad you choose but depending on its thickness it would certainly have some effect on the ability of the latex to contour to your body shape which would feel firmer to many people yes.

I don’t make specific recommendations because each person’s criteria and preferences can be very different but the links in my last reply should help you to make the choices that are best for you.

Phoenix