Protectors, Pads, and Toppers

Hi Robert101.

[quote]So I started researching to see if i can purchase just the gel and then i can customize the layers underneath to my liking. i came across companies that made gel mattresses in the past (sherwood evosleep) as well as companies that produce sheets of gel for medical purposes as well as gel bed topper(Action, Akton and others). Are these gels the same concept that is used by technogel?
as you see in the link here from technogel stating that their gel is not comparable to the other gels on the market.is that so?[/quote]

We’ve discussed some of this in in the topic " Anyone own a techno gel mattress" … but to add a bit more color … Technogel and Akton are similar using a solid gel layer/membrane based on claims it provides temperature and pressure relief. The type that is used in the Evosleep is a solid gel (not mixed into another type of foam) which is the most expensive and effective type of gel. Elastomeric polyurethane gels are a very strong, elastic, and durable materials with unique properties such as including being viscoelastic and thermally conductive. It is generally used in a thin layer on top and then other types of materials are used underneath it (such as memory foam or polyfoam). Action appears to sell Mattress Gel overlays and as far as we know Technogel sells it gel technology for mattresses only as a component in mattresses. There is a slight caution from Mattress Makers of our Trusted Members about Technogel’s cooling abilities in post # 16 here and there is more about gels in post #2 here.

You are correct that Action’s primary target market has been in hospital and home medical products. Technogel is broadly distributed as a component in select models of several mattress brands. I do not have personal experience with Technogel to compare with but it would seem that if you are looking to create a DIY mattress that uses a gel layer, Action would be the most direct path.

Natural materials and latex foam are most widely recognized for their breathability and comfort. It’s really a matter of personal comfort. Wool, cotton, latex and horsehair/mohare are available in thicknesses that allow for comfort, as well as breathability. Coir is very firm and not a comfort material. Mohair (horsetail hair) is not used as a comfort material. Silk, linen, cashmere are yarns included in fabrics. That often encase materials such as cotton, wool, etc.

[quote]Are some of the specialty materials i listed prior just a luxury item that they add to expensive items to make it special and not really superior in comfort/breathability?
[/quote]

Yes, some of the materials you list are viewed to be luxury items based on their cost. On a personal note I would find difficult to justify the price unless there was something about it that was clearly superior to your other options and not just a small difference. The comfort factor is one of personal preference and may be appealing to some or indifferent /unsuitable for others.
Based my own personal sense of “value” I would have a hard time justifying a mattress that was over twice the price of some similar thickness all latex mattresses… If a latex mattress (or any other material) can get someone to 90% of their “ideal” in terms of needs and preferences (including temperature regulation) … then… would an extra 5% improvement really be worth it? (I doubt that any mattress would meet all of someone’s changing needs and preferences all of the time which would be 100%)

You’re very welcome! :slight_smile: And if you have a chance to test a few of these gels and materials and compare them I’d love to hear your feedback though about any more specific differences that you felt in terms of pressure relief, alignment, or the “feel” between them and also in terms of “coolness” as this property seems to be a bit overrated.

Phoenix