Pulled the trigger today and purchased the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 13inch Gel Memory Foam

Hi all,
After researching and testing out multiple mattresses I decided on the Ultimate Dreams Gel Memory Foam Mattress. A friend of mine who is a member on here purchased the same item a few months ago so I had the advantage of being able to lie on it etc. He also gave me some great positive feedback on the bed after using it for a couple if months.

I went with this foundation: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00471HVDW/ref=pd_aw_sbs_2?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1
The price kept fluctuating from $202 down to $178. Got lucky and found it for $159 one day and immediately pounced. I will let you all know about the wood quality and measure the distance between the slats as soon as it is set up.

Lastly, I purchased the Malouf Sleep Tite Mattress Protector for $37.99.

As for the mattress I am very excited. My current mattress just hit it’s 11 year mark and although it wasn’t showing severe diggs of wear, it was time for an upgrade. As soon as it’s here I’ll post my initial impression for you all.

Hi Mrr211,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Based on the Tempurpedic testing you did and on your experience with your friend’s mattress is sounds like you made a great choice.

[quote]I went with this foundation: www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00471HVDW/ref=pd…=SL500_SS115&simLd=1
The price kept fluctuating from $202 down to $178. Got lucky and found it for $159 one day and immediately pounced. I will let you all know about the wood quality and measure the distance between the slats as soon as it is set up.[/quote]

It will be interesting to see if it’s still the same 3 3/8" as it was here. It would certainly be a suitable foundation for your mattress.

There are also other forum members that have purchased the Malouf Sleep Tite mattress protector as well and been happy with it.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive everything and have had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Not wanting to Hijack this thread, but I did not want to start a new one just for this. Let me know if your mattress has an extreme smell to it. I have had mine opened up for 2 days now, and it still stinks. Any idea when this smell goes away? If I put my nose down to the bamboo cover, it reeks terribly. Any help on this matter would be great!

Hi scb175,

I switched your post to a new topic because your mattress is the 12" Supreme which is a different mattress with different materials than the topic you posted in.

The materials in your mattress are all CertiPur certified for harmful substances and VOC’s and most people don’t have an issue with the initial “new” smell of the mattress but some people are more sensitive to the smell of a new memory foam mattress than others so it can seem stronger. It can also vary somewhat between different batches of foam but it normally dissipates and goes away after a few days to a couple of weeks.

There are also some suggestions in post #3 here that should be helpful.

Phoenix

I just wanted to update this after a week of sleeping on the 12" Ultimate Supreme from Dream Foam. Their is still a faint smell, but not bothersome enough to cause anymore issues. Glad it has gotten better!

I have a new issue though. This is my first memory foam mattress and I’m not sure if this is normal or not. During a 7hr sleep, I notice that when I toss and turn around, the memory foam doesn’t have the same elasticity that it did from the first time I enter the bed. Every night when I get in, the surface feels very firm, but when I lay down, I can feel the memory foam conform to my body. During the night, as I said, I lose this feeling. It is as if, the memory foam is “smooshed” and becomes flat. Is this something normal that happens? The memory foam definitely becomes much softer, and I am concerned considering this is my first week.

Any help on this matter would be great. This is a highly recommended mattress on this site, which is one of the reasons I bought it, and was curious if others are dealing with this as well.

Thanks a lot for any feedback on the matter

Hi scb175,

I’m glad it’s better as well … and any faint remaining smell should continue to diminish.

Memory foam is sensitive to temperature, humidity, and the length of time it is continuously compressed over the course of the night and all of these can change its firmness level and how it feels and responds during the night so what you are describing is a normal part of the feel and response of memory foam. This is one of the things that makes memory foam different from other types of fast response foams.

There are also many different types of memory foam and each one has its own unique properties and responds to all of these “influences” in different ways (see post #9 here and post #8 here).

Phoenix

Just wanted to update everyone on the KD foundation I listed as I put it together today. It came packed well and delivery was 4 days. Wood quality was good. Yes there were a few rough/unsmooth spots but certainly nothing I would complain about. Putting it together was easy. Probably took a total of 25-30 minutes including unpacking. The cover it came with was fine and fit snug.

I took the time to measure the distance between Slats and got anywhere from 3 3/4" - 4 1/4". I was a little dis appointed that a couple of them measured at 4 1/4, but the rest were at or below 4". Overall this thing appears to be solid.

The foundation fit perfect on my existing queen frame(with center support) and I placed my current mattress on top of it while waiting for the arrival of the new one. I laid down on it just for the heck of it and boy it made my 11 year old mattress feel much more supportive. If I had known this I would have gotten rid of my traditional box spring 2-3 years ago!!

Now I am very eagerly waiting for the mattress from Dreamfoam. I’ll update upon arrival.

Hi Mrr211,

Thanks for the update on the KD foundation and for letting us know the spacing for the slats :slight_smile:

The slats seem to be a little further apart than the other CPS foundation I linked but 4" gaps should be fine for a mattress with a polyfoam support core.

I’m looking forward to your update when the mattress arrives.

Phoenix

Hello Again,

Today was delivery day! Mattress arrived at about 10:30 AM. I was concerned initially however as the box was torn open and ripped on the side. I looked inside and also saw that the layers of plastic were also torn and about 14 inch portion of the mattress was exposed. Having read the Dreamfoam policy on damaged items I remember them saying that in the case of damaged items to call before accepting the delivery. With the unknown of whether there might be a tear in the mattress I decided to call.

Chuck answered (he also had promptly answered an email inquiry I had earlier in the process) and was helpful. I told him of my concern. He gave me two options: A. Refuse delivery and Dreamfoam would send another out. B. Accept the delivery and if the cover was torn he said he could probably send me out another to put on the mattress to protect it. I chose B mainly because the damage didn’t appear severe, the option of having a new cover sent was available, and I also didn’t want to wait another week for shipping.

I had the mattress in our bedroom about 10 minutes after delivery. I plopped it onto the KD foundation and carefully opened the layers of plastic until they were all off and the mattress was spread out. I checked the cover thoroughly and with the exception of a small snag on the area the was exposed it appears fine(hoping this doesn’t turn into a hole over time). I then took pictures after 2 min of expansion, 1 hour of expansion (mattress was already at about 10 1/2 inches), and then 6 hours (mattress measured about 12 1/4 inches). I will attach photos of both the torn plastic and the mattress expanding.

I lied on down on my new happy place for a short time before dinner and boy was I pleased. Already felt great! I work the midnight shift so I won’t be able to sleep on it until tomorrow sometime but the wife went to bed around 10:30PM and she made sure to tell me how comfortable she was B) I will give another update after a few nights sleep. So far I’m a happy man.

Hi Mrr211,

Thanks for the first night update … and I’m glad to see that your mattress didn’t get damaged.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix and readers,

Wanted to give an update on the mattress after sleeping on it for a little over a week. Before I begin, I would like to say my mattress has expanded to about 12 7/8 inches. In some reviews people have said their bed didn’t reach 13 inches but I don’t see a problem with mine.

Pros: Mattress is very comfortable and supportive. Being a side 75% and back 25% sleeper I have not had a morning yet in which I woke up with a sore shoulder like with my previous mattress. This mattress has enough give to prevent this while also offering enough support to keep body alignment.

Movement: I barely feel any movement when the wife moves or goes to the bathroom. (A big blessing)

Feel: I would agree with the comparison to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe for the most part(the Dreamfoam mattress is just slightly firmer in my experience). I think the memory foam reacts slightly better than the Cloud. For me this is a plus as I prefer the bed to have just a little less give than the Cloud had at the stores. Keep in mind some may prefer the softer feel and it’s all a personal preference.

Con: I really don’t have any yet. If I had to come up with something, I would say the bed sleeps just slightly warmer than my previous mattress. I find myself having to take off any pajama pants I have on or will wake up a little sweaty.

Now for something strange. Believe it or not the wife has said I snore MUCH less. She claims it is at least 50% less. I obviously have no clue on this as I’m asleep. But I’m assuming the combination of the new latex pillow and mattress is offering my head and body better positioning. I will take it:) Snoring has been an issue since my college years lol.

Overall we are very pleased with our purchase thus far The bed is very comfortable and we are sleeping much happier. I will again update in 3-6 months to keep everyone who is considering the mattress up to speed.

Hi Mrr211,

Thanks for taking the time to share another detailed update … I appreciate it!

That’s great news about the snoring as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Mrr211,

Your wife isn’t the only one hearing less snoring! My husband has snore so loud the past several years, I’ve either had to wear earplugs or move into the guest room!

We just received a new Tuft and Needle mattress almost 2 weeks ago. DH has been much quieter, still lightly snoring, but not loud enough for me to have to wear earplugs.

I started to suspect dust mite and/or pollen allergies a couple years ago. Started to notice when I changed sheets and cleaned really well, he was a little quieter. Even though we put a dust mite protector on the mattress and pillows, I wonder if the new mattress and foundation are helping not only his position while sleeping, but are cleaner. The old foundation and bed frame had more dust on them than I care to admit.

We put an allergen mattress protect on the new mattress almost right away. A good lesson to me to take the mattress off the foundation once in a hill and clean down on the bed frame too…

I just joined this site because I’m researching this exact same mattress, and my searches led me to this site. I’ve been going back and forth between a Sleep Innovation’s gel foam, Sleep Innovations suretemp foam, Lucid gel foam, Classic Brand’s cool gel, and now finally this Dreamfoam ultimate dreams 13-inch.

I was hoping to keep my budget around $500, but it seems nothing in that range will have foam that’s 4lb or higher. Considering this has 4lb and 5lb foam, the price seems pretty good at around $700.

Hi novasquid,

As you probably know from your reading here Dreamfoam is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

The DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams 13-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress is similar in terms of comfort/support to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe so if you have tested the Cloud Luxe and it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then it could certainly make a good quality/value choice.

If you do decide to purchase a mattress from Dreamfoam then it may be a good idea to purchase it from the Dreamfoam site because the prices are a little lower, they currently have an additional 10% discount (see their facebook page here) and they also have a 45 day comfort guarantee as well.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and “value” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you very much for creating such a great resource and your commentry on the Dreamfoam 13-inch has been particularly useful. I was recently deciding between the Brooklyn Bedding Cool Lux 13-inch and the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 13-inch. For others who are trying to figure out the differences (beyond Phoenix / others comments), below is the reply I got from BB in regards to the key differences between the two mattresses (note this is just a brief reply to my specific question regarding the difference in the layer materials used and likely not representative of the full differences between the two beds):

“The 2.17lb HD foam core is a highly upgraded support foam and the material would be more supportive as well as slightly more durable. Comfort also comes in when upgrading the base foam as the our BB model will feel more directly similar to the Tempur model.”

I ultimately went with the Dreamfoam by following the relative “value” guidelines on this site, but both look like great mattresses. I’ve placed the order with Chuck at Dreamfoam and will revert with a brief review in March after some time with bed.

Hi deeps,

Welcome … and I’m glad the site could help you!

You certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

My husband and I have needed a new mattress quite badly. He is a tossing-and-turning combination sleeper with a snoring and overheating problem, and I am a light sleeper, I get cold at night very easy and I have lost many hours of sleep to my husbands tossing in the night. We went out to one of the nation-wide chains to test out mattresses and our top pick was of course… a Temperpedic Cloud model. Unfortunately way out of our price range. So I started doing some looking online for similar beds, I was actually about to pull the trigger on a Saatva bed when I came across that thread on this website - thank goodness - and decided to go back to the drawing board.

We too decided on the Deamfoam Ultimate Dreams 13inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress. I ended up choosing the same box spring as Mrr211 (PS Wood Products Premium Easy Fit Box Spring Foundation) because it is rated well for small doorways (we live in a very old house with strange and narrow entries).

We’ll see how it goes, everything is supposed to arrive from Amazon this week, I’ll come back and let you all know how it’s treating us.

Hi squirrely,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

So far, we really really like our new DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams 13-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress. We’ve only had it for a couple of days now but we are happy with our purchase.

As others on this forum have said, not sleeping well has been a sore subject for us and bad for our marriage. At night, he’s hot / I’m cold, he’s a snoring, tossing machine and I’m a light sleeper. Here are the pros and cons to this bed so far:

PROS
-It is very soft and warm, so I don’t need five blankets at night and can make do with two.
-My husband who sleeps “hot” can make do with one thin blanket and he is also comfortable.
-I’m a light sleeper and I haven’t been woken up by my husband’s tossing for the first time in years.
-This bed was really affordable and shipped immediately. We had it within 4 days of ordering.
-Inflated to 13 inches in about 5 minutes. It was really amazing to see, considering they compress this mattress (king size) into a box about 18 inches x 18 inches x 60 inches!

CONS
-I’m sure this bed is way too soft for some people. I am overweight (~5’4 and 180 lbs) and so far I find it to be very comfortable, but as Phoenix has pointed out over and over, no two people are alike. Fortunately my husband (5’6 and 160 lbs) also finds it comfy.
-If we had a problem with this bed, it would be very difficult to return because we bought it straight from Amazon instead of the manufacturer. We did this because we have Amazon Prime, so free shipping + purchased on credit. I would definitely recommend buying from the manufacturer if you can do so, just in case you hate the mattress and need to return it.
-As others have noted, it is a very soft mattress so you can’t sit or lay on the edge of it; you will slide right off. For this reason, I am really glad we went with the king size instead of the queen.

TO BE DETERMINED
-How well will the memory foam hold up over time and with use?
-Will we still be comfortable on this mattress in 30 days? Six months? Five years?

I will check in with you guys on the forum here in a few months and let you know!