Pulled the trigger today and purchased the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 13inch Gel Memory Foam

Hi squirrely,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed comments and feedback about your new mattress ā€¦ I appreciate it.

Things sound very promising so far and Iā€™m looking forward to any additional feedback you have the chance to share down the road as well.

Phoenix

Phoenix or anyone else, do you guys know what is the weight of the 8" base layer of the 13" gel mattress?

Hi novasquid,

Iā€™m guessing you mean density but as far as I know itā€™s 1.5 lbs.

Phoenix

Yes I meant the density. :slight_smile:

I did some simple math and assuming the top are 3" of 4lb and 2" of 5lb, and also assuming standard queen size 60"x80" and total weight of 105lbs, then the 8" SHOULD be a little over 2lbs.

The package weight from dreamfoam shows 110lbs and amazons website shows 107lbs, so i assumed 105lbs without any packaging.

Hi novasquid,

My calculations are a little different from yours although the best source of any ā€œofficialā€ information would be Dreamfoam.

Top layer is 3" x 60" x 80" = 14400 cu in / 1728 = 8.33 cu ft x 4 lb density = 33.3 lbs
2nd layer is 2" x 60" x 80" = 9600 cu in / 1728 = 5.56 cu ft x 5 lb density = 27.8 lbs
bottom layer is 8" x 60" x 80" = 38400 cu in / 1728 = 22.22 cu ft x 1.5 lb density = 33.3 lbs
Total weight = 33.3 + 27.8 + 33.3 = 94.4 lbs plus the weight of the cover and any packaging.

Densities are never exact and shipping weights often arenā€™t exact either but itā€™s certainly ā€œin the ballparkā€.

Phoenix

chuck from dreamfoam confirmed that itā€™s 1.5lb density for the 8" layer, and the dimensions are 60" x 79" for a queen size. shipping weight may not be entirely accurate, but i would assume theyā€™re more accurate than not due to the fact they charge shipping based on weight. and ups and fedex both show the 13" gel within 3lbs of each other (107lb vs 110lb). packaging alone is probably between 10-15lbs. mattress cover maybe adds another couple lbs.

anyway, i donā€™t have plans to weigh my 13" gel mattress any time soon, but this was a nice thought experiment to work out how much it should weigh.

Just following up - we have been sleeping on this mattress for about a month, and I have no complaints, it is holding up quite well so far, no indentations and it still has a brand-new feel. Iā€™ve never slept better :slight_smile:

Hi squirrely,

Thanks for the update ā€¦ I appreciate it.

Now that you are past the break in and adjustment period that goes with any new mattress purchase ā€¦ with the quality of the materials in your mattress you can reasonably expect that you will be sleeping well for many years to come :slight_smile:

Phoenix