Purchased Addable Mattress

After looking at several different companies and reading the information here, I decided to replace my old spring Mattress with an Addable mattress. My old mattress was probably 15 years old, and in the last couple years I had noticed that my lower back hurt when I woke up,. I assumed that it was partially because the mattress was so old and partially because it didn’t give enough to my hips/tail bone.

I ordered a twin-size online - $289 after discount - on a Friday, and it showed up at my front door the following Wednesday. I couldn’t provide special delivery instructions to Addable, but was able to provide them directly to FedEx.

After cutting into the final protective plastic layer, the mattress puffed up and attained normal mattress size in seconds. It was releasing a fair amount of smell though, so placed it in my spare room and let it fluff for the recommended 48 hours.

Last night was my first night sleeping on it, and I was on it for about 8 hours. It definitely contours to my body more, and I noticed that when I’d roll onto my side it didn’t have the immediate pressure on my hips like my old mattress did. I still felt like it didn’t give quite as much as I’d like to my tail bone though, and when I woke up in the morning my lower back still hurt, but to a lesser degree than with my old mattress.

Addable has a 181-day money back guarantee trial period, so I plan to give it a couple weeks to see. I’d hate to ask for a return since it is an improvement over my old mattress, but I’d also hate to have spent $289 from my tight budget for a mattress that so far doesn’t quite do what I’d hoped. Maybe my hopes are unrealistic? I’ll try to remember to provide an update in a couple of weeks.

(In case it matters, I’m a 108 lbs female, 60/40 back/side sleeper)

Hi Flerpi,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new mattress! As you know Addable is a member here, which means that I think highly of them, and you certainly made a good quality/value choice.

Thank you for your photos of the unboxing. Some odor with a mattress like this can be normal, and hopefully much of it has dissipated for you already.

I still felt like it didn’t give quite as much as I’d like to my tail bone though, and when I woke up in the morning my lower back still hurt, but to a lesser degree than with my old mattress.
There will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of its “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here ). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress.

Having slept on your mattress for one night of course isn’t enough time for you to make a judgment on the product, but it seems that you are moving in the right direction, and you had the foresight to purchase something that allows for a long trial period and refund in case things don’t turn out as well as you had hoped.

I look forward to your updates.

Phoenix

I had the Addable mattress for about a month and ultimately ended up returning it. Here are my final thoughts on it:

1. It was easy to order and fluffed quickly from the box. There was a smell/off-gassing, but was only noticeable for 24 hours.
  2. The mattress itself had a nice level of contouring, which made it good at eliminating pressure points.
  3. Most people would probably find the mattress comfortable, but I wanted extreme lumbar support.
  4. The return process was easy. I contacted Addable to start the process, found a local veterans charity to come take the mattress, then mailed a receipt of donation from them to Addable.

My main issue with the Addable - and with pretty much every mattress I tried - was the level of lumbar support. The level of lumber support I wanted was way beyond what most mattresses could offer. I ended up getting a custom-made mattress from Istrouma Mattress Factory in Baton Rouge. I’ve included a picture of it; the “speed bump” in the mattress is my custom lumbar support. I admittedly didn’t ask many questions about the composition of the mattress, but I know the lumbar add-on is made of rubber/latex - not sure what type - and that the owner mentioned preferring to use rubber/latex in his more premium beds. The total with tax was $330. I’ve had it for about a week now and I’ve definitely noticed a decrease in the lumbar pain I was waking up with, so apparently a lumpy mattress was just what I needed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Flerpi,

Thanks for the update. I’m sorry your Addable mattress didn’t work out for you :frowning: , but at least you did have the foresight to choose something with a good return policy.

The resulting mattress you had custom made for you (the photo did show up - thank you) is quite an odd configuration, increasing the surface support that you desire, but the most important thing is that you enjoy the product, which I think you do. As this is what works for you, I’m not surprised that the different mattresses you tried weren’t comfortable to you, as none of them would have had extra layers of padding in a specific area on top of the spring unit with a “speed bump” like this.

I’m happy that things worked out for you, and thanks for sharing.

Phoenix