purchased essentia, unpleasant odour continues at 3 weeks

Hello Forum!

Having just read posts with regard to questionable marketing and content claims from essentia, I’m concerned. The mattress I purchased continues to emit an odor, similar, but less intense than what I recall came from a previous memory foam topper from Costco.

I would like something without chemicals etc. hesitate to use the confusing word, ‘organic’. The links to organic mattresses in the post I read don’t seem to work.

Any advice for me on this would be appreciated.

Also, since there is a 9% penalty for returning the mattress, I am wondering if anyone else has returned a mattress to essentia and negotiated this down, due to the potentially misleading claims from the company.

Thank you ++++++ in advance!
H

Hi hjp,

[quote]Having just read posts with regard to questionable marketing and content claims from essentia, I’m concerned. The mattress I purchased continues to emit an odor, similar, but less intense than what I recall came from a previous memory foam topper from Costco.

I would like something without chemicals etc. hesitate to use the confusing word, ‘organic’. The links to organic mattresses in the post I read don’t seem to work.[/quote]

The odor may be coming from the Dunlop latex they use (you can read more here about the smell of latex) or it could be from the memory foam component of their mattress but in either case it will normally dissipate over time. There is more about the “smell” of latex in post #2 here.

There are also some suggestions that can help with reducing the odor of a mattress to acceptable levels in post #3 here that may be helpful.

While I doubt that the smell is harmful and all the latex you are likely to encounter has been tested and certified by Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut (Oeko-Tex in their case) and the memory foam they use is a thin layer that is most likely an MDI chemical formulation which often has less VOC’s than TDI chemical formulations, I do understand that some people are more sensitive to certain odors that may bother them. They do at least release their VOC testing results for 4 VOC’s that for these 4 VOC’s would indicate “safe” levels by any of the common testing protocols although other testing protocols test for more chemicals and VOC’s than just these 4.

How long have you had your mattress?

I don’t have any experience with this but hopefully someone that has returned an Essentia will see this and provide you with some feedback.

Phoenix

thank you so much for your quick response ! it is reassuring; in answer to your qyestion I have had the mattress for
three weeks now. well ventilated, bedding not left on bed, window cracked - even though it has been cold here in
in canada !
so… a bit frustrating …

hope to hear as well from someone who has had experience with essentia and possibly returns.
in the meantime I’m reading as much as possible on the site!

thanks again)

Hi hjp,

I’m not sure about the source of what you are smelling and different people seem to be much more or less sensitive to certain smells but the “rubbery” smell of natural Dunlop can be a little bit longer lasting but will diminish to levels that most people are fine with.

Phoenix