Pure Bliss Latex Beautiful week three any other suggestions

Ill be on week three with our new Pure Latex Bliss Beautiful and while its a great sleep it still is too soft. Im in the thirty day comfort period and can appreciate how latex works. I was going to possibly try the nutrition and still may but Im finding that latex does sleep warmer than my innercoil mattress did. I was trying to avoid mattresses that attract dust mites. My only other choices are now memory foam or springs if I choose not to pursue the Nutrition model. However Ive read most memory foam sleeps even hotter than latex but I didnt know if those with gel sleep cooler. If you read in forums they suggest Latex does not sleep warm but I disagree. There is a difference between latex and our coil mattress for sure. I worry that when summer is here it will even be hotter. My question is are there quality coil mattresses that last and are there memory foam mattresses that dont produce heat. Royal-Pedic seems to be the quality but very expensive. thanks)

Hi Mike7,

All foam materials (including latex) are basically an insulator and even though latex is more breathable than other types of foam … if there are thicker softer layers that you sink into more deeply and you have an unquilted cover such as the PLB then for some people they can sleep warmer as well. There is more about the factors that can be involved with sleeping temperature in post #2 here and in some cases changing your mattress protector or the type of sheets you use can solve the problem. A firmer mattress would tend to sleep cooler because the softness of the comfort layer is one of the factors in temperature regulation.

You can read more about the many different types of gel materials or gel memory foam in post #2 here and the effect of different types of gel materials on temperature in post #9 here but in most cases gel memory foam will have a temporary effect when you first go to sleep (compared to regular memory foam) and once temperatures equalize the foam would become an insulator.

I would definitely exchange a mattress that is too soft for a firmer version whenever possible because you can make a mattress that is too firm softer with a topper … to make a mattress that is too soft any firmer means you would need to remove and replace some of the layers which isn’t possible with the Beautiful.

The useful life of an innerspring mattress will depend more than anything on the quality and durability of the materials above the innerspring. A mattress will soften and break down from the top down and the “weak link” in almost all mattresses is in the comfort layers of the mattress. There is more about the relative durability and useful life of mattresses in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Lets see if I can understand - Gel memory foam doesnt maintain a cooler temperature but sheets and mattress protectors do?
Innerspring mattresses that use foam above the springs are still going to cause heat issues?
And the comfort layers will break down if inferior?
But what wool protector is available that doesnt change the feel of the Latex besides a terrycloth one like the St Dormier that would solve the heat issue?

Ive read that another strategy to finding a mattress is to buy a very firm one and then purchase a topper to adjust for comfort. This way the mattress doesnt break down and when the topper does you can replace it. In addition toppers can be fiber fill as well to not allow for heat.

I think one gets the impression Latex is the best way to go when coming to this forum but maybe more of a traditional mattress with springs is still the best with respect to heat and finding the best comfort. The Beautiful is a nice mattress and can understand the positives but Latex also gives more of a bounce, and the edges sink down in addition its impossible to move as there are no handles and it flops around. In fact the movers themselves were exhausted from bringing it up. I think what Im feeling is the Beautiful is too soft but I do like a “cushiony” feel. Maybe I need something as discribed above a firmer base with a softer top. If anyone can suggest a good innerspring mattress let me know

Latex is a challenge… it did not put innersprings out of the business.

All foam will sleep hot, so you need a proper interface to help Latex work better. A sturdy quilted wool cover encases and protects the Latex and provides good ventilation, but typically does not stretch and can upset the alignment experience. One solution for this is to use an over-sized cover to provide enough slack i.e. put 9" of Latex in a generous 10" cover. Also, covering the top Latex layer can increase the fabric-aided ventilation. Plus, use a stretchy wool protector/pad like the St. Dormier. Finally, use a slatted base to permit the mattress to breath from below. These treatments isolate and ventilate body heat and humidity so that Latex does not sleep hot.

If you stick with PLB, you can probably add a loose, quilted wool interface to address the heat problem.

zzz

Yes we had the st dormier but sent it back as we didnt want to feel terrycloth under our sheets like sleeping under a towel. If anyonecan suggest a wool mattress protector not a pad that doesnt change the feel of latex please let me know
thanks
I found this topper its made from wool and gets good reviews again thisis if I go with a firmer mattress maybe this would solve the heat issue
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S2CC34/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004S2CC34&linkCode=as2&tag=slelikthedea-20

As an aside, realize that the key for reducing dust mites is the elimination of their food source, namely flakes of skin. Be sure to keep the mattress clean as well as your pillow and the area around your mattress.

Wow, Im so glad I found this forum.

Ive spent the last few days reading and reading… great stuff.
Than I found this thread and it spoke to me. It may have also saved me some cash.

HEAT is the #1 issue for me. And if latex or foam is going to be hotter than my current 10 year old spring pillow top, thats a deal breaker. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!!

Than you guys stated the obvious. Get a firm matt and find the perfect topper. Makes so much sense. Yes, so simple. THANKS!!!

… My current mattress is old and has a huge sag in the middle (from side to side). Im a stomach/side sleeper and it kills my lower back. For the past year, Ive been feeling the springs poking my body more and more.

So yesterday I went to Walmart and got a 1/25 spa memory foam topper and a microfibre mattress pad. I put the foam on the matt and the pad on top, with sheet on that.

I had a great sleep with the new setup. So did the wife. HOWEVER… the sag is still there so I need a new matty.

I would like to echo mike7’s question on suggesting a good innerspring mattress.

Are coils better than innerspring? or is it a personal pref thing?

(So grateful I found this forum. :slight_smile: )

Drewy you are very welcome - sometimes reading these forums can make things even more confusing as people get into the technical aspects. I was convinced latex was the way to go but im not so sure anymore. However I do have to say the Pure Latex Bliss is certainly not a nightmare nor causing any pain in fact I sleep well in it. I just dont like the bounce to it nor the way it feels due to the softness. I think there is something to be said for innerspring mattresses as a base and a soft topper. Your memory foam topper is considered one of the worst for heat however. It seems wool is the best means for countering the heat whether it be a topper or a mattress protector/pad. And I have to reiterate to all that there is a huge difference between trying a mattress in a store and actually sleeping on one which is why I suggest no matter where one gets it from you make sure they have a return and comfort exchange policy. This forum tends to discuss the materials and quality as the most important, which is true but finding what is comfortable for each person is another issue. It seems simple you need a firm core or base. Then you need to decide which type would be the most durable. Then you need to find what is most comfortable to you whether it be relieving pressure or adding support. If your hips sink too low then your spine may be out of alignment. This is why I think a firmer layer underneath than the one I have may be the right way to go. The current latex mattress I have sinks tooo low and moving around in it is a little more difficult. I think when you have an innerspring mattress it is more stable underneath and less bouncy and thus isolating the top layer to be softer without having to go further into the latex as it doesnt have springs or a foundation to prevent that.

The St. Dormier is a very modest wool layer. The Jersey knit flattens out to where you cannot feel it under a sheet. It protects the mattress cover and improves the ventilation. It’s a mattress protector or pad… pretty much the same thing… and being thin and stretchy, changes the feel of the Latex very little.

The 3" topper you link to could be ‘too much’ in all respects (cost, comfort, fit, maintenance) for just adding a missing wool ventilation layer to a PLB mattress that should be complete already, but apparently is not.

zzz

Yes, firmer support seems to be required. Perhaps even Dunlop which gets firmer faster. I’m skeptical of PLB builds… their support cores are all 36 ILD Talalay except for the orphan Pamper, they use some pretty soft and deep comfort layers, being of LI they may not dare use Dunlop, and they don’t seem to solve the ventilation problem with wool or equivalent. And just how much does it cost them to stuff 4 layers of their Latex in a cover?

zzz

Hi Mike7,

Personally I think that PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is the single most important part of a mattress purchase but these can be “felt” with testing or personal experience. Having a good sense of the likely durability of a mattress based on the quality of the materials can’t be felt in a showroom or through personal experience so this is the part of a mattress purchase that most consumers know the least about and in general need the most help with.

A mattress that is the highest quality in the world but that isn’'t suitable in terms of PPP would have little value for that person that purchased it and a mattress that is absolutely “perfect” in terms of PPP but doesn’t lost more than a few months or a year or two would have very little value as well.

I think that PPP and durability and the other parts of each person’s personal value equation all go hand in hand as part of an informed purchase.

Gel foams certainly have an effect but the degree and length of the cooling effect of gel foams would depend on the percentage and properties of the gel but their cooling benefits tend to be temporary. Of the three main temperature regulating “technologies” (thermal conduction, phase change, and ventilation / moisture wicking) … the first two tend to be more temporary while ventilation and moisture wicking work with the natural cooling mechanisms of the body and are effective throughout the night.

This can certainly be an effective strategy and design for a sleeping system. The most reliable way to do this is to test the specific combination together because choosing the most suitable topper for a particular mattress can sometimes be as tricky as choosing a mattress. The mattress and topper work together and affect each other in terms of PPP. As a general rule natural fibers will be more cooling than synthetic fibers because they tend to wick and absorb moisture more effectively

Phoenix

Hi drewy,

A topper can be an effective way to soften a mattress that is too firm but is not an effective way to “fix” a mattress that is too soft, has soft spots, or is sagging.

There is more about this in post #4 here.

Coils and innersprings are the same thing (innersprings are made with a series of steel springs or coils). There is more about innersprings in this article and in post #10 here.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … post #1 here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible mattress choice.

Phoenix

can someone list any innerspring mattreses that are quality

There is a parallel thread asking the same thing:

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/done-with-latex-eithe-berkely-or-sleep-number

@sleeping:

One solution for this is to use an over-sized cover to provide enough slack i.e. put 9" of Latex in a generous 10" cover. Also, covering the top Latex layer can increase the fabric-aided ventilation.

Can you explain what this means? Are you suggesting that the cover should be loose? And are you suggesting that the top layer of latex should be wrapped in cotton?

We just spent two weeks traveling and had the opportunity to sleep on several beds. I am so glad that I picked a latex bed and not an innerspring with gel or foam, talk about sleeping hot. Maybe you need to pick a hotel with a gel or foam hybrid and try it out for a night or two. The Hyatt we atyed at had the worst mattress of all and they offer to sell you one, lol.