Pure Echo v European Sleep Works for Child

Hello,

I’ve been looking for a twin mattress for my 2 year old daughter and have been overwhelmed with information. I spent hours reading through all of the information in this forum and have sort of narrowed it down to these two mattresses that I feel are at the right price point for our modest budget.

I know the pure echo gets a lot of love here and for good reason. But in looking at the children’s mattress at European Sleep Works:

https://sleepworks.com/mattress/childrens/

I don’t really see that big of a difference between the two. They seem somewhat similar. Am I missing something? I am local to the SF Bay Area and I actually went to the showroom to check it out. After all this reading, my expectation was that this mattress would be firm. To my surprise, it was actually quite soft and springy – something I’d be willing to sleep on. But that might just be because I’m used to sleeping on the floor.

Now I’m kind of lost. Maybe my idea of firm is a little different from most people.

Any insight on these two mattresses? Thanks.

John

Hi Johnlusf,

[quote]I know the pure echo gets a lot of love here and for good reason. But in looking at the children’s mattress at European Sleep Works:

sleepworks.com/mattress/childrens/

I don’t really see that big of a difference between the two. They seem somewhat similar. Am I missing something? I am local to the SF Bay Area and I actually went to the showroom to check it out. After all this reading, my expectation was that this mattress would be firm. To my surprise, it was actually quite soft and springy – something I’d be willing to sleep on. But that might just be because I’m used to sleeping on the floor.[/quote]

Both mattresses use use similar materials and components and are in the same general category (a pocket coil with natural fiber comfort layers) but I don’t know the specifics of the materials and components in each mattress (such as the amount of wool and cotton in each of them or the specifics of the springs in the sleepworks mattress or whether it has edge support) but I don’t have any personal experience with either mattress so I really can’t make any meaningful comments about how they compare.

Both mattresses use good quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would be a reason for concern in terms of the durability or useful life of either one of them…

Both of them also meet the guidelines for children in post #2 here so they would both be suitable choices for a child. I would suspect that the Pure Echo probably uses more cotton and wool in the design and is designed for use by adults as well as children while the Sleepworks mattress is described as being more suitable for children and only occasional use by an adult but you would need to confirm this and the specs of each mattress when you talk with them on the phone.

There are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

Phoenix

I just wanted to report that I went with the European Sleep Works mattress since I would be able to pick it up immediately without having to deal with shipping. It has worked out great for my child. I will say that there’s not much support on the sides, so if you plan on sitting on the edge and reading to your child, the mattress might sink.

If you plan on just sleeping on it, I think it’s a great mattress. Wish I had the same type of mattress.

Hi Johnsluf,

Congratulations on the new mattress purchase for your child! I’m very happy to hear that it is working out well for you both.

Thank you for that information. It is true that many mattresses specifically aimed for children might not have any edge support, or it may be less firm, due to the specific intended application of the mattress. Your comments are good for people to consider when looking at a mattress like this if they are sitting in the bed a lot with their child.

Congratulations again, and thanks for the update!

Phoenix