Pure gel top layer breathable?

Hi - I checked out a mattress that has a pure gel top layer. They had samples of the material out and it was not “infused” with the memory foam, but just a sheet of gel a few millimeters thick on the top layer of this mattress, with puncture holes.

schewels.com/products/glideawa/glideaway11polarismemoryfoammattressxlsizetwinqueen.html
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: schewels.com/products/glideawa/glideaway11polarismemoryfoammattressxlsizetwinqueen.html

I don’t know about the specs, and am not asking for an assessment of the mattress.

I am just wondering if anyone has thoughts on whether that gel is “breathable” or ends up making the mattress feel clammy? I’m interested in cool sleeping, and when I layed on it for a while it really did stay cool and felt really nice, but logically my brain is having trouble computing the gel layer and how it is right under the top cotton layer and wouldn’t it feel suffocating overnight? Thanks

Hi AT,

Your concerns about a gel layer feeling “clammy” certainly are valid. Gel itself isn’t breathable as a sheet, but in this application (and many others) they have attempted to address it with the holes punched in the product to assist with airflow. There is also of course the covering of the mattress which assists with putting a layer between the sleeper and the gel layer. You wouldn’t want to sleep directly upon gel - most people would find it an uncomfortable environment as you described (clammy).

For many people, especially those of larger mass or more temperature sensitive, this could be an issue. Of course, temperature regulation is a complex issue and the mattress pad/protector and fitted sheet being used will have an effect upon the potential for a feeling of clamminess. A thicker mattress pad or perhaps one made of wool could certainly assist with negating a potential feeling of “clamminess”, but then this increases the distance of the body from the gel layer and this can then impact the “effectiveness” of the gel panel.

I’ve not personally slept on a product using a complete gel pad like this, so I can’t offer personal insight, but then again my experience wouldn’t necessarily be yours. It follows that the thicker the breathable layering between you and the gel layer, the less potential there is for a “clammy” feel. Perhaps there are other members on the site who are more knowledgeable/experienced who can provide insight on your question as well.

On overall temperature regulation…

While your question wasn’t directly related to temperature, "clamminess’ and humidity are certainly related to temperature regulation. Some of the other factors involved in how warm a mattress sleeps are how closely the foam conforms to your body (the more closely it conforms around you the more insulating it is), how soft or thick the foam in the comfort layers are (the softer/thicker it is the deeper you will sink into the more insulating materials), the type of quilting used in the mattress (natural fibers allow for more airflow and humidity control which translates into better temperature regulation), the type of ticking (cover) used (natural or more breathable fibers such as cotton or viscose or even some of the more breathable synthetics will wick away moisture and ventilate better and humidity control is a key part of temperature control), and on any cooling technologies used in the mattress such as ventilating and moisture wicking materials, heat conductive materials, or phase change materials (you can read more about these in post #9 here and at the end of post #4 here) and you can read more about the various different types of gel foams in post #2 here. In general terms gel foams will tend to have a temporary effect on temperature while you are first going to sleep until temperatures equalize but have less effect on temperature regulation throughout the course of the night.

While the upper layers of a mattress are the most significant part of temperature and moisture regulation … deeper support components that allow more airflow can also have an effect and so innersprings will also tend to sleep cooler than foam support cores as long as the air can ventilate to the outside of the mattress.

In addition to all of this … the mattress protector you choose along with your sheets and other bedding and what you wear when you sleep will also have a significant effect on temperature regulation because they can either add to the insulating effect or to the ventilating and moisture wicking effect of your mattress. You can see more about the effect of different mattress protectors in post #89 here. Bedding made from natural fibers or viscose materials (like bamboo) will also tend to be cooler than synthetic fibers and linen sheets along with silk are probably the coolest of all the natural fibers for those where sleeping temperature is a main priority. There is more about sheets and bedding in post #7 here. In many cases changing the mattress protector, sheets, or bedding to cooler versions can make “enough” of a difference for many people who would otherwise sleep hot on a mattress.

All of this of course is separate from any environmental conditions in the bedroom (temperature and humidity levels with higher humidity adding to the perception of heat), on the physiology and tendency of the person themselves to sleep warmer or cooler and where they are in the “oven to iceberg” range, and on their weight and body type which will affect how deeply they sink into the foam layers of the mattress.

In other words … it’s always a combination of several interacting factors that determines the sleeping temperature of a mattress in combination with a specific person and environment.

Phoenix