Pure Latex Bliss Mattresses

Phoenix,

I’ve read every discussion I can find on your site about the Pure Latex Bliss mattresses, as well as all the general information about buying a mattress. I narrowed my choice to a PLB Nature or a PLB Pamper with the 2" topper. Since your advice says it’s better to buy a firmer mattress than too soft a mattress, I am torn between the two. The Pamper is too firm without the topper, but since the topper is 14 ILD, it feels too soft when I’m on my back. The Nature (floor model, broken in) feels fine for back and side sleeping. I just wanted to ask if you think it will break down more quickly and end up being too soft. I know the 6" support layer in the Nature is 36 ILD, versus 40 ILD for the Pamper, so that’s why I worried about ending up with a mattress I can’t fix. I think if they had toppers in a 21-25 ILD that I could put on the Pamper, it might be a good fix, but they only have the 14 ILD option…

Also, for the foundation, is there any advantage structurally to the 5" low profile versus 9" regular, or is it just personal preference for how high you want your sleeping surface?

Thank you, TP

Hi TP,

Latex is the most durable of all the foam materials so while there will be a break in and adjustment period over the first few weeks where there may be some slight initial softening (see post #3 here) … beyond that the softening of the latex would be very gradual and isn’t something that I would be concerned about. The floor model you tested would probably have already been broken in.

I would purchase the mattress or the mattress/topper combination that your careful testing indicates is the the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences).

There are many latex toppers on the market that are available to purchase in any type of latex, ILD or thickness that you may need besides the PLB toppers but there is always some risk and uncertainty involved in purchasing a topper that you can’t test in combination with your mattress before a purchase because the only way to know whether a mattress/topper combination will be a good match for you will be based on your own personal experience so I would keep any topper purchase that you can’t test in person as a “backup plan” just in case the choice you make needs some additional softness and pressure relief.

If it becomes necessary … there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well.

Phoenix

PLB offers their softer topper in the Ultimate Line which they rate at 15 ILD (and a similar item in their organic cotton cover line which they rate at a 14 ILD), and they offer the hybrid line topper which is in the 21-25 ILD range that you mentioned. I’ve been told it’s around a 24 ILD (remember that ILD ratings are not completely exact but better used as a guide for comparing). This hybrid topper has been available for quite some time and we offer it in 2" and 3", so it certainly is something that’s available for you to consider. Using the 2" hybrid topper on the Pamper would in effect be doubling the “comfort layer” of the Pamper.

Thank you for that information the latex mattress. That really helps.

As for the question of total bed height, do you have suggestions for people 5’7 to 5’8" tall? I see ranges online from 18-24 for modern beds, and up into the low 30 inches for some styles. I’m mainly looking for ideas on which would be easier, to raise a bed up a few inches, or to lower a bed that you felt was too high once you got a topper?

Thank you, that is really helpful. I agree that adding the topper to the Pamper is basically making it a Nature (adding 2" to the comfort/pressure relief layer). I didn’t think that made sense, to buy a bed you already know was too firm, but the salesperson said it would be good because it would prolong the life of the mattress. Every few years I could buy a new topper and the mattress would last much longer. That seems like a good argument, too.

TP

Hi TP,

It would make sense if you could test the mattress/topper in person and if the store carries a topper that would be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP in combination with the mattress but if you can’t then there is always some additional uncertainty and risk in purchasing a topper where you can’t test the combination in person before a purchase in which case the exchange/return policy of the store you buy from can be one of the most important parts of the “value” of a topper purchase just in case the topper doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for (see post #2 here).

On the other hand (and as they mentioned) … if a mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of "comfort and PPP then it also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is very likely because the upper layers or a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time and a topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it as well.

I don’t have any specific suggestions because the height of your sleeping surface is just a preference choice and outside of your own preferences and your ability to get in and out of bed easily one height isn’t any better or worse than another.

If you add up the height of all the support components you would be using under your mattress (bedframe and foundation) and then add the thickness of the mattress you would have the height of your sleeping surface and you can compare it to your current mattress and support system (or others that you are familiar with) as a reference point and decide if you would prefer something that is the same or lower or higher.

Once you have made your purchase then it would be somewhat difficult to either raise or lower the height of your sleeping surface because either one would generally involve exchanging the bedframe you are using for another one that is a different height (either a regular or low profile steel foundation for example) or replacing the foundation for one that is a different height (either a regular or low profile foundation or a bunkie board).

Having said that … it would probably be a little easier to add some additional height because outside of using a taller foundation, you could add some risers under your bedframe (see some examples here), or you could add some taller legs directly under your foundation (see some examples in post #8 here), or you could also add an ultra firm foam layer on top of the support system and under your mattress.

Phoenix