Pure Latex Bliss - Nature and 2" active fusion topper

I’m 145 to 150 lbs, 5’10", mainly back sleeper (side sleeper at time just to give my back a break). I also have a curvier lower back.

I used to be able to sleep on anything, but have had chronic pain for the last 4 or 5 years. It started in my lower back, but I get pain through out my entire back and neck now which makes finding a mattress tricky because one part might feel good, but cause another pain.

I was sleeping on a 2009 Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody. Overall it was really good, but I developed pretty severe neck pain that I believe was being caused by it… When I sleep on your typical spring beds the neck pain tends to get better while the rest of my back aches slightly more.

As a result I purchased a Pure Latex Bliss Nature. I wasn’t able to sleep on it directly as it was way to firm for me and caused intense pain in my mid back as well as numbness in my feet that I would get before surgery. I wish I could try to push through the 30 day new period on just the mattress, but it’s too painful. With the 2" topper it may be too soft. My lower back is starting to hurt again which I’m guessing is from the lack of support… I don’t think that is going to go away as it’s from the softness. What is a topper that would be a good fit based on this information to try? I don’t know the specifics of my topper softness, but I am working on getting them. I also might try a foam topper since the foundation is solid and would probably give me the alignment I need and may help with alignment where my old mattress seemed to be failing. I’m a little confused to what latex feels like as well since the bed feels hard and the topper like a sponge and too soft. Maybe that a good sign and I just need to find the right firmness?

I have time to return the bed, but I only get one return and then I’m stuck with the bed I purchase. I may look into getting a latex bed that allows for adjustments since my back pain changes and haven’t been able to figure out the firmness I like.

Thanks for all the information

Chris

Hi sacramento80,

This is the classic dilemma for all mattress shoppers when they buy a mattress, a topper, or a combination of the two. The balance between the two main functions of a mattress which are the opposing needs of good comfort/pressure relief (which requires softer materials) and good support/alignment (which requires firmer materials) is the most important part of choosing any sleeping system and is part of the “art and science” of all mattress theory and design that makes one mattress or combination or materials and components suitable for some people and not for others. Too much or too little of one (either comfort/pressure relief or support/alignment) can lead to choosing a mattress or “sleeping system” that produces symptoms in the other and either doesn’t provide good alignment or relieve pressure points in all your sleeping positions over the course of the night. When you have physical issues and are closer to the “princess and the pea” end of the range than the “I can sleep on anything” end of the range then this can be more difficult yet. In general … the most effective solution is a support core that is “firm enough” to provide good support for your body type with “just enough” thickness and softness on top to relieve pressure in all your sleeping positions to reduce the risk of alignment issues from comfort and transition layers that are too thick or soft.

There is more detailed information about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

These posts are the “tools” that can help with the analysis, detective work, or trial and error that may be necessary to help you learn your body’s language and “translate” what your body is trying to tell you so you can make the types of changes or additions to your mattress that have the best chance of reducing or eliminating any “symptoms” you are experiencing or decide whether to replace or exchange your mattress.

I would also keep in mind that upper body symptoms can often be the result of a pillow issue because if you change your mattress for a different mattress that allows your upper body and shoulders to sink in either more or less then the distance between your head and neck and the mattress surface can change and may require a thicker or thinner pillow to keep your head and neck in good alignment (which can also affect shoulder and other upper body “symptoms”).

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or topper or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress or mattress/topper combination will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is also more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) in post #2 here that can help you assess and lower the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress.

If a 2" topper is too soft for you on your mattress then it may be worthwhile considering a topper that is either a little thinner or a little firmer (but still soft enough to provide the pressure relief that you need).

I would also make sure that the foundation under your mattress is suitable for a latex mattress and that your mattress isn’t sagging into any gaps in the foundation underneath it which can aggravate alignment issues. You can test this by sleeping on your mattress on the floor for a few nights to see if this makes any difference in your sleeping experience and if it does then it’s very possible that you need a better foundation that provides better support under your mattress.

While it’s not possible to make specific suggestions because of all the many variables involved that are unique to each person and your own experience is the only way to know for certain whether any mattress/topper combination will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP … there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that can help you use your sleeping experience along with the other information I linked as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well.

A component latex mattress can certainly provide options to change or fine tune the comfort/pressure relief or the support/alignment of a mattress (within the design limits of the mattress which usually has standardized layer thicknesses or layer firmnesses) by either rearranging or exchanging layers so it can certainly provide more flexibility in fine tuning a mattress after a purchase that can be very helpful for some people that have more challenging circumstances although there will always be a very small percentage of people that don’t seem to “fit” any of the layer combinations they try.

In some cases … different zoning combinations can also be helpful with more challenging circumstances although once again the “right” zoning combination that is a good match for your unique body type, weight distribution, and preferences or sensitivities is always important. There is more about zoning in post #11 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the information, I’ll have to play around with a few things to see if i can figure out what works for me