Pure Latex Bliss or SleepEZ 13000?

Hi All,

We are attempting to purchase a new mattress. We’ve decided latex is the way to go but not sure which manufacturer to select. A couple of days ago we were very lucky to have an opportunity to try out a Pure Bliss Latex (Beautiful) model which we both loved!! We saw the bed at Worley Beds in New Bedford Massachusetts. Let me tell you, “Martha Worley” - Owner - was very, very, helpful. No pressure at all and made you feel like you were at home. Although we weren’t ready for the sticker shock. Close to 4100 for the mattress and another 2500 for the Legatt and Platt motion base. Not the stores fault, but just the product being that much.

Naturally I’ve been looking around online and SleepEZ tends to come up alot. Our dilema is, would we be able to replicate the luxurious feeling of the PLB bed going with SleepEZ? Can the SleepEZ be used with a motion base? Does anyone have any good/bad experiences with PLB? We’d like to make this decision soon as we have a tax free weekend in a couple weeks that we’d love to take advantage of. We’re in Massachusetts.

I do like the ability with the SleepEZ 13000 to exchange different layers, but the PLB felt like a tremendous piece bedding. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bidzer

Hi bidzer,

The Beautiful you are looking at may be the “all natural” version because the price you are mentioning is more than the “natural” version (unless the difference is the tax or other costs included in the price). The “all natural” uses 100% natural Talalay and the natural version uses blended Talalay. I know the terminology that PLB uses is very confusing and IMO also somewhat misleading. They should call the “natural” version “blended” IMO.

In any case … the only real advantage of the “all natural” (assuming this is what you are quoting) is that it’s natural and a little more “supportive” (all natural latex is denser than the blend and gets firmer a little faster than the blend as you sink into it more). The blended is more durable in softer ILD’s, more pressure relieving and has a lower cost. Generally the people who prefer the “all natural” are those who want a higher natural latex content for it’s own sake rather than for any performance improvement and are willing to accept a higher price and lower durability (in the softer comfort layers) in exchange. The specs of the “natural” Beautiful are here (and the "all natural would be similar)

The “organic” SleepEz 13000 would be the closest model they have to the “all natural” Beautiful and you would need to custom order the layers to come closer (SleepEz “standard” soft is 22-24 ILD which is slightly firmer than the top 3" of the Beautiful). It would have an extra inch of soft latex in the second layer (from the top) and the PLB would have an extra inch of very firm talalay in the bottom layer. The “rough equivalent” cover would be the SleepEz unquilted zip cover. The PLB is also glued and the SleepEz is not so this would also make a bit of a difference in feel. Overall they would be reasonably close but not exact. The price difference would be significant (over $1000) which for me would certainly justify an online order with the slight additional risk.

You could also order the blended version of the 13000 which would save you more yet (another $500 or so).

I would suggest talking to Shawn about your options because I’m not so sure that this would be the best choice of layering even though it would be very soft and “cushy”. Using the unquilted cover would also mean that you may lose the option of choosing different ILD’s in each side of your top layer (if any difference in your body types and sleeping styles make this a desirable option) because the lack of wool in the quilting may make the “split” more noticeable. While 12" of latex is very nice … it’s also not necessary except for heavier weights, as part of a specific design that requires it, or as a preference.

The L&P is also not the best “value” in an adjustable bed IMO (see the adjustable bed thread here) but Olejo is a good pricing reference (The S-Cape is here if this is the one you were referring to) because they carry all the major brands and their prices are good.

Overall … while I love a local purchase, in this case the mattress you are looking at is not a locally designed and manufactured mattress and is not in the same “value range” as most of the better quality/value latex mattresses made by local manufacturers (including the 2 sided all latex mattresses that Worley makes or at least was making before they started to carry the PLB and I don’t know if the PLB has “replaced” them). You’ve probably already seen this but there is a list of manufacturers in and around Boston in post #2 here and there are links to some feedback about many of the manufacturers mentioned in post #2 here.

When any “local” premium is more than about 20% or so (and this of course would vary depending on each person and their “value equation”) … then it may certainly be time to start seriously considering some of the better online manufacturers or outlets as part of your options.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the abundance of information in your reply. We are more than happy to go the blended route. Either way, the price of the PBL is out of our price range but are more than happy to go with SleepEZ from all the reviews I’ve seen and read.

The fact that we can change out layers is also very intriguing to us as it allows for more flexibility. I wanted to just run something by you. My wife is 5’9" tall and weighs about 115 pounds. She like her bed very, very soft. I noticed you mentioned the SleepEZ soft as only a 22-24 ILD which is firmer than the PBL beautiful. Would it be possible to get down to the 19 or 17 ILD from SleepEZ?

Would a 2" topper fit under the wool cover to get down to the softness of the PLB beautiful?

I’ve also done some investigation on the adjustable bed frame. Looks like these are the popular ones to get:

Ergomotion 400
Ergomotion 100
Reverie Deluxe™ Adjustable Bed With Wireless Control and Massage

We thank you very, very much for all the help!!!

Thanks

Hi bidzer,

Yes … this is why I suggested talking with them on the pone so you could find out what their non standard options would be. I do know that they can go “one step down” (from 24 to 19 ILD would be an example) in softness with a special order.

No … the cover and mattress design use specific layer thicknesses and adding more than it was designed to hold would compress the latex and make the mattress firmer. If you were to use @19 ILD in the top layer of the sleepEz though and then the 22-24 in the next layer down it would actually be a little softer than the PLB because thicker layers of the same material will feel a little softer and unglued layers will also feel a little softer than glued layers.

I would suggest though having a conversation with Shawn that includes your “Beautiful preference” and he can give you more specific guidance about any options or “custom layers” that may work best for you.

The Ergomotion 400 and the Reverie Deluxe (which I have) are very comparable and have similar features. The Ergomotion 100 is one step down and has less features than the other two (wired remote and no massage for example) but would be great for those who wanted just the basic features.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I just got off the phone with Shawn. He recommended the 10000 series with Soft, Medium, Firm configuration. I asked about the 19 ILD rating of the bliss top and he mentioned we could always place a topper of that softness if needed. He also said we should order the 4-Way stretch cover as this would create less material between us and the latex for the beautiful type feel.

Now, it’s just time for us to discuss and make the order. We’ve settled on the Reverie as well, so at least that’s one thing we can cross off the list :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Bidzer

Hi bidzer,

I think this would be a good idea and as Shawn mentioned you can always add a softer topper if it’s needed (such as a couple of inches of 19 ILD talalay). Slightly firmer and a thinner is not only less costly but also has less risk of alignment issues and lets you sleep on the mattress for a while and use your experience before deciding whether to add anything to it. This would certainly be a “safer” way to go.

I think one of the biggest “mistakes” people make when buying a mattress is going too soft and thick in the comfort layers because of a “showroom feel” and then realizing later that it may not provide the best support and alignment. It’s always much easier to fine tune a mattress to make it softer than it is to improve support by making it firmer (which is very difficult).

As Shawn mentioned … I also think the 4 way stretch will put you closer to the latex and allow you to sink in a bit more. It really is a very nice cover and you can see pictures of it here (although the picture lighting shows it as being darker than it really is).

As you know I also like the Reverie and we’ve been very happy with it.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I just spoke with Shawn and he stated the soft they currently have in is in the 20 range, so that’s good news for us!! My wife who is 5’8" 127 pounds is going with the M,S,S and myself 6’ 205 with F,M,S.

Apparently the 4-way stretch cover isn’t a protector cover against spills, so we’re going to have to grab a protector. Shawn stated to look for a very thin one as you’ll lose the benefits of the 4-way stretch cover to get that close to latex feel.

Do you have any tips on a protector cover? We have 2 young kids and need to preserve the warranty :slight_smile:

Plus, the Reverie is already on order :woohoo:

Thanks Again,
Bidzer

Hi bidzer,

Mattress covers aren’t designed to protect against body oils, stains, and spills (with a few exceptions usually with vinyl children’s mattresses) so a protector is always a good idea for a mattress.

There are a few tradeoffs involved with a woven cotton, wool, and the thinner breathable/waterproof types being the most common. Each offer a different combination of breathability, water resistance, and effect on the mattress.

A couple of the more popular choices in thin breathable/waterproof protectors are in post #4 here and there are quite a few other options (with some different “features”) in post #15 here.

Phoenix

We’re going to go with the Dormeir. Flobeds has a pretty good price on it. I really can’t find many retailers online selling it, or at least reputable ones. The mattress is being ordered today (SleepEZ 10000) and the adjustable bases are on order as well!! This is finally coming together and we can’t wait to get everything setup!!!

Thanks

Hi bidzer,

I think the Dormeir is a great choice and flobeds has one of the better prices for it that I know of as well.

Congratulations on your new mattress and accessories :slight_smile:

I hope you have a chance to add some of your feedback when you’ve had a chance to sleep on your new system for a little while.

Phoenix

We couldn’t have done it without all the help you and the site have provided!! We’ll definitely check back in with results in a few. The feedback from people is what makes the community very helpful!

Thanks

I just wanted to follow up with our experience with our order through SleepEZ. We ended up ordering the 10000 series. We received the item in a week and setup everything in about an hour, that’s including opening everything.

We went with the stretch cover which was very high quality and felt better than the pure bliss cover. The material seemed heavier and better made.

After sleeping on the 10000 for a week or so, we made a decision to upgrade to the 13000 as we needed to recoup some height back from our old mattress that we lost and wanted some more layers beneath us.

So now after having the 13000 for a couple of weeks, I can honestly say I’ve never laid on a more comfortable bed in my life and will never be going back to an inner spring mattress. I’ve been through 2 back accidents so I have a really bad back to begin with but I no longer wake up with any pain and find myself sleeping much more soundly and for longer durations. The only time we wake up during the night now is due to a 5 year old and NO bed is going to cure that!!

We also opted to go with the St. Dormeir Wool Mattress Pad and glad we did. For sheets, we ended up buying 1500 thread count bamboo sheets which we love as well. A little pricey but well worth it for something you use every night. I don’t have that hot sweating feeling anymore either when I sleep. I’ll post some pics soon of the bed finished in the stretch cover for people who are interested.

My wife and I wanted to send a really big thanks to Phoenix, SleepEZ, and the community for all the help in this journey. Dealing with Sean at SleepEZ has been a pleasure as well.

Thanks,
Bidzer

Congratulations on your new sleep system. What layering did you finally end up with on the 13000?

When you add the photos please include one of the St Dormier cover as well. This cover is often discussed but remains under the radar.

Hi bidzer,

I’ll add my congratulations as well :slight_smile:

Thanks as well for a great review and feedback!

Phoenix

I’ll be able to take some pics of the St. Dormier in a few days. I will definitely post them when I have a chance. We highly recommend the St. Dormier. Well worth the extra dollars.

Thanks

I am interested in seeing your pictures of the Dormeir cover over the SleepEZ 13000…

Did the standard (16 inch pocket) cover fit the 13000? I read that it will fit mattresses up to 12 inches and I measure my SleepEZ 13000 at 12.5 inches. Hmmm… I’d love insight from anyone who can guide me.

Hi Mightyh,

This may not help much because it’s not on your mattress but you can see some pictures here if you just wanted to know what it looks like.

It may also be a good idea to call St Dormeir directly to make sure if bidzer doesn’t see your post because they would probably be able to give you good advice but if I had to guess I’d say it would be fine with the extra 1/2" thickness of your mattress.

Phoenix