Pure Talalay Bliss vs SleepEZ

Please help me with a mattress purchase decision.
How does Pure Talalay Bliss compare to SleepEZ? Is the latex comparable, from the same source even?
I found a PTB Beautiful King for $2500 and bought it because it was a close out. That means no returns. I didn’t want it delivered for a week so I’ve been doing research and have found out that the latex is blended, not 100%. My research also tells me not to be concerned about this because blended can be more durable and consistent, and that the soft layers of Talalay should be blended. Is this true? I found on SleepEZ that I can have different layers of comfort for me and my partner, have a chance to replace layers, and a 90 day trial period, and get 100%Talalay for $2,500 for a comparable mattress. If I could do my own layering, I’d make the Beautiful a little more plush. I feel like it needs a topper so that all of my body can touch a surface when I’m on my side or back. It works for my stomach. When I try it with a topper like Posh and Lavish’s 3 inch topper it’s much more comfortable. So I think I’d do 3inch firm, 3inch medium, 3inch soft, 3inch soft in a 13inch model with SleepEZ. Then my partner can have another combination because he likes firmer mattresses. Though I think he should give a softer mattress a shot cuz I thought I liked his mattress until I started doing this mattress shopping and now the mattress is unbearably firm for me. He tried a pillow top once and returned it for the firm. I don’t think a plush pillowtop can be compared to a soft layer of latex though. He would prefer a longer trial period than the short time he has at the store. He says they all feel the same at the store. I have spent hours at mattress stores now laying on each mattress for at least 15 minutes and that has helped give me perspective.
I want to go back to the store and ask for a refund because the mattress is still at their warehouse and they were not transparent when I asked about the composition of the mattress. The salesperson really believed it was 100% natural Talalay until he called the rep and found out the truth. I really want to know, is 100% natural better than, the same as, or worse than blended? Is it better to get a soft layer in blended? That’s what I have read. It seems 100% can be inconsistent, make body impressions, and not be as durable. Is the synthetic latex unhealthy for the environment or to people in anyway? Is natural latex harmful to the environment?
Is a wool cover preferable to the stretch fabric? I think I’d like the wool cover from trying out Posh and Lavish’s topper but that one might have more latex than wool and that is what I like. Not sure how much wool is in their topper, but there is 1/2 inch in the cover for the SleepEZ mattress which the salesperson told me makes it feel less soft. I want a plush pillowtop feel which I think the wool will give me?
I appreciate any feedback. I really appreciate this website, I’ve educated myself a lot this past week. I know more about latex than the salespeople now. It’s frustrating that you can’t learn what you need to know from the people selling mattresses for a living.
Blessings,
Sharon

Hi Hairimagineer,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Pure Talalay Bliss mattresses are made with blended Talalay latex from Talalay Global. Their layers are laminated into a completed mattress. SleepEZ (one of the site members here, which means that I think highly of them) offers many different component-style latex mattress systems, and you may choose configurations using either Dunlop or Talalay, natural or blended. They do source some of their Talalay from Talalay Global, but you’d have to contact them with any specific configuration to find from where any particular latex layer was currently originating. Both companies use good quality and durable materials.

Their line switched over in March of 2016 so you must be looking at one of the older models using the blue/white cover – the Active Fusion line. That latex is indeed blended, not 100% natural (NR), you are correct.

All latex, blended or otherwise, will tend to be a very durable product. There is some research from Talalay Global (back when they were Latex International) that points towards their blended Talalay being more durable than their 100% NR Talalay, but these differences would be slight and I wouldn’t generally have much of a concern of one versus another.

If your personal preference is that you only desire a mattress that uses 100% NR Talalay and that was your main reason for buying this particular mattress and you were told that it is 100% NR, then you certainly could have a point there. I don’t know about them not being transparent, as it sounds like it was a mistake and they found out the correct information for you. I don’t know that this is exactly the case here, or if you’re experiencing buyer’s remorse and looking for a reason to cancel your purchase.

You can see more about the debate between SBR and NR rubber in post #2 here. The bottom line is Talalay made from natural rubber is more expensive, comes in a less specific range of ILD’s, is heavier, slightly more elastic and springy, has a higher compression modulus and more supportive, may get softer and develop impressions slightly faster in lower ILD’s, and is more natural. The primary reason that it was introduced (in 2005) is to cater to the “natural” market who are willing to pay more for a product which has a more natural source even though it may not be as durable.

Those who value a more natural product for personal reasons and are willing to pay for it (in price and possibly lower durability), or who can feel a difference and prefer the feel that comes from the greater elasticity and compression modulus of the natural would likely choose the 100% natural Talalay.

Those who value the increased consistency, greater choice of softness/firmness levels, or lower cost of the blend or who can feel a difference in pressure relief, would likely choose the blend. Both are great choices and in the end the choice between them is part of each person’s individual “value equation”

All the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold or C2C and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex (regardless of whether it is synthetic, natural, or blended) to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s (offgassing).

Whether or not you’d like wool in your mattress cover is of course a personal issue. Posh + Lavish uses wool in their Tencel covering on their mattresses, but it is not used in their toppers. It is true that the wool used in the SleepEZ covering and the fabric they use make it a bit firmer than the Posh + Lavish, but I wouldn’t speak to how you may or may not like that. I’m not sure what a “pillowtop feel” is to you personally, but most of the comfort in any topper or mattress will be generated by the componentry inside as opposed to the covering (although a stuff cover can of course mask some of this comfort). The wool can also be nice for humidity and temperature regulation.

I’m glad you like the site and have been able to learn much from it. It is sad to say that most people who have spent a few hours reading on this site know more than a many of people selling mattresses in our industry.

Let me know what you decide to do, or if you have any other questions.

Also, I deleted your second post, as it was basically asking the same question in another thread, so it helps to keep things in one specific thread so that information answering your questions isn’t spread out across multiple areas.

Phoenix

Phoenix thank you for your quick response! I made a difficult choice to return the mattress. Lloyd at Atlanta Mattress was very accomodatin to let me do that. If anyone is interested there’s a great deal at Atlanta mattress for the Pure Talalay Bliss Beautiful king for 2500. He has the 10 inch for 2100. I tried to explain about the confusion with the PTB being blended but he told me that the only synthetic is washed out during production . I’ve been calling and emailing and leaving messages with PTB all week and they haven’t gotten back to me. Maybe this business is bare bones since I read the factory went through bankruptcy. From what a salesperson I called in another state told me, the blend is 70% natural, 30% synthetic whereas Sleepez and Flobed blended are 30% natural and 70% synthetic. Im thinking that the PTB blend is probably nicer but since I can’t get that blend with a mail order mattress I’m going to do the all natural. I just hope that will last and still support me ok. I kind of like the mix with coils underneath I tried at Natural Mattress Store, it was their house brand. But as I understand this won’t last as long and is as expensive as the mail order all natural latex mattresses. What are people’s experiences with sleepez and flobeds? From what I’ve seen so far these companies have good layer exchange policies and return. Policies and do 100% natural latex and have talalay and are more affordable than. Saavy rest. If there’s another option I’d like to know. I’ll get my partner to go with me to Atlanta mattress to get an idea of what firmness layers we want. I can’t even sleep on our bed right now i think my body knows it is being cheated by this rock hard mattress now because i didnt notice before, so I’m thinking of getting a topper to get through the rest of this shopping process. Seems plush beds has the cheapest toppers.
I think that a it for now. I appreciate hearing people’s experiences with building their own beds. Are there sites for just getting the parts?
Thanks,
Sharon

Hi Hairimagineer,

You’re welcome. Thank you for your update.

It’s nice to know they were accommodating to you with this.

That of course is not true. The actual latex particles that are part of the foamed latex are not “washed out”. What is washed out are residual soaps and proteins during a five-stage rinse process after the latex is pulled out of the mold. The latex is a permanent part of the finished product.

While Talalay Global (then Latex International) went through a bankruptcy reorganization, they never stopped operating. Unfortunately, yours is not the only complaint about their poor response via customer service, and I’ve had a discussion about this very fact with site members who sell their products. Unfortunately, their comments made to Pure Talalay Bliss have not resulted in better customer service response times, at least for now. Hopefully that will eventually improve, although questions about their mattresses and foams are normally best addressed to the retailer, as most manufacturers are not set up for detailed consumer questions.

All of the blended Talalay you are likely to encounter (either Radium or Talalay Global) will be 70% synthetic / 30% natural latex, not 70% natural / 30% synthetic. SleepEZ and FloBeds were correct in what they told you. The other salesperson was not.

The Talalay Global latex (the blended Talalay used by Pure Talalay Bliss) is available from many online sources, one of which, SleepEZ, I mentioned in my earlier reply. However, choosing 100% Natural instead of blended is certainly a good and durable choice as well.

A mattress using latex on top and a good spring unit beneath can certainly be very durable, and many of the members here on the site offer such a configuration at a more affordable price.

Both SleepEZ and FloBeds are members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for your consideration.

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components that are purchased from one or several different sources then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

To start I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP as a reference point or blueprint and try and “match” every layer and component in your reference mattress as closely as possible, or alternatively use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here). You may also use the of guidance in a detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thank you for this additional information! I finally talked to a rep at Pure Talalay Bliss today. I had messaged them on Facebook (as well as calling and leaving voicemails and at least two emails) and the person on Facebook couldn’t answer my questions but had a customer service rep call me. She wouldn’t give the amount of the blend and said that they don’t tell salespeople this info either. She did say they only make one blend so what they sell to SleepEZ is the same blend they use in PTB so that makes me feel better that I can recreate the Beautiful with the comfort of having a return policy and be able to exchange layers if need be. She did say that they gave their 100% line only a 10 year warranty compared to the synthetic blend line a 20 year warranty because. When tested it was not as durable. She said that the warranty claims they have often are because a poor foundation was used. I asked if she saw more of the 100% latex come back and she said they had more claims than the synthetic line, but still it was usually because of the base. She said that she liked the feel of the synthetic more, that it seemed more comforting. She compared the synthetic to a car tire, but that concerns me because tires definately offgas. I asked her about offgassing and there wasn’t anything specific about that she could find except that their certification says that the mattresses are not toxic.
Does the other plant, Radium I think, also make quality Talalay and a durable synthetic? I know you told me that it is durable either way, but what this lady said makes me concerned again about longevity and durability of all natural latex.
Your paragraph about latex with coils underneath got cut off. I’d love to know what you said.
I hope you make lots of commission or some great kick backs because this seems like a full time job keeping such a thorough forum going. It’s a great idea and I’m glad you’re doing it. I feel much more confident about this process from all I’ve learned on this site.
Blessings,
Sharon

Hi Hairimagineer,

It’s good to know they saw your question and got back to you. This may be a better avenue for people wishing to speak with them in the future if they are monitoring heir facebook page.

It’s the 70/30 SBR/NR that I mentioned to you in my previous post.

Yes, as I mentioned in my previous reply, all of the Talalay latex you’re likely to encounter is the 70/30 SBR/NR blend.

Their blended line has a 15 year warranty, not 20 years. That was their old warranty in the Active Fusion line. The change happened in March of 2016. Their natural line did have a 10 year warranty. It was less durable, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. The length of a warranty isn’t necessarily an indicator of the durability of a product, only a guarantee against defects in workmanship, but in this case the item with the longer warranty is more durable.

This is common with all mattress lines, and it is important that an appropriate foundation be used with any mattress style. Sagging of a mattress due to an improper foundation would not qualify for a warranty replacement.

That would depend upon the ILDs being compared, the layering, and of course personal preference.

As I mentioned in my previous reply in post #2, All the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold or C2C and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex (regardless of whether it is synthetic, natural, or blended) to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s (offgassing). Their latex is Oeko-Tex certified, so I would have no concerns about off-gassing. Her tire analogy is a poor one, as that is an entirely different product and process.

Yes. If you read post #2 here from my previous reply that is discussed. Their natural is more durable than their synthetic, but again both are very durable products.

I fixed it – thank you for catching that broken link!

Thank you. You can see how the site and the time and efforts that go into it are supported in the Our Services/how we survive link in the main menu and there is more detailed information in post #4 here.

Phoenix

I’m going to jump on here and try not to hijack. But, I’m looking to compare these two mattresses myself. I tried out the PLB Beautiful today, and my wife and I loved it. Perfect combination for us. Nice price from a local dealer, too (Todd at Louisville Mattress), who was more than happy to help us with our research. But we’re not quite ready to pull the trigger.

Now that we know the feel, we are looking to recreate it through SleepEZ. I’d prefer the slight difference of the wool cover, and the flexibility to refine the layers later, if we choose. Also, 5 extra warranty years are nice.

My question is about the exact ILD ratings, though, since I can’t find them for the PLB. The layers are listed on their website as 6" firm, 3" support, and 3" comfort. I am thinking the SleepEZ bed would be similar with X-Firm, Firm, Medium, Soft, all in 100% organic talalay. Does this seem correct? Will I notice a difference with the non-glued layers of the SleepEZ? Should we make the bottom two layers x-firm?

Thanks for the site, Pheonix. Very useful stuff!

Answering my own question for posterity and others. I just called SleepEZ. Kind fellow there suggested firm, medium, medium, soft to mimic the beautiful. Also could switch to a cotton cover similar to the PLB, instead of the wool to maintain the feel.

I think we’re ready to order, but I’d love to hear your thoughts before I do.

Hi MrBandGuy,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The Beautiful uses blended Talalay and is a 6" core of 36 ILD, a 3" transition layer at 24 ILD and a 3" top layer at 15 ILD. They use an inherent FR barrier that is like a “mattress pad” containing rayon/silica fiber placed over the foam layers, and their cover is 98% polyester, 2% elastin.

SleepEZ has quite a bit of experience approximating the feel of Pure Talalay Bliss mattresses, and they source quite a bit of their latex from Talalay Global. While they can do their best to ballpark the comfort you’re trying to achieve, realize that any difference in a single layer will impact the overall feel of a product, so while you certainly will be able to end up with a product that is “in the range” of the Beautiful, it won’t have the exact same feel unless it used the exact same latex layers in the same order and thickness, the same FR barrier and the same cover. I do agree with you that it is nice to be able to rearrange the layers within a component system that SleepEZ offers.

As you may be aware, SleepEZ is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for your consideration should you decide to purchase one of their component systems.

I’ll be interested in learning about your final decision.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply, Pheonix. The ILDs are pretty helpful to know.

We just ordered the 100% talalay configuration as suggested from SleepEZ, with the wool topper, along with their foundation. I think it’ll be pretty close, and if anything, be just a bit more toward my wife’s preference. They have an extra bonus for pillows and sheets right now, which is a little extra perk.

We’ll give it the 90 day test run to be sure, but I think we’re going to love it. I’ll try to update and let everyone know.

Thanks again for the awesome resource you’ve created here!

Hi MrBandGuy,

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice. I’m looking forward to your opinions on the mattress after you’ve received it and have had a chance to try it out for a while.

Phoenix