Putting Tempur-Topper Supreme 3" memory foam mattress over a latex bed

Hi,
Just purchased a Tempurpedic 3" memory foam topper and I plan on putting it on top of my Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress. I removed the bamboo cover from my existent mattress so will be putting the memory foam directly onto the 3 inches of talalay latex, which itself is on top of a foam base. Just wanted to know what you thought of this. Bad idea? Good idea? Any thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you! I believe the density of the latex is a 7 on the Ultimate Dreams scale (which I believe is 24 ILD). I also have an even softer 2 inch latex topper currently on top of my bed, which I plan on removing, unless that may not be necessary.

Hi Tyson,

I don’t know the specifics of the topper you purchased (whether it was an actual Tempurpedic topper or another type of memory foam) so I can’t speak to its quality but I would have personally just added it on top of the mattress itself to see how it worked before I attempted something as radical as cutting open the mattress and doing mattress surgery.

Assuming that the memory foam topper you purchased was either a Tempurpedic or a good quality memory foam topper (4 lbs or higher) then the materials you are using are all good quality. There is certainly nothing “wrong” with mixing memory foam and latex or any other materials because the type of materials that each person likes best in a mattress is really a matter of personal preference. A combination of memory foam on top of latex (or the other way around which you could also try since you have the 2" latex topper) is a preference choice that some people like a lot (my own personal preference for memory foam/latex combinations is to use the latex over the memory foam but that’s only my own preference) but only your own experience can know whether it works well for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

I’m looking forward to hearing about how it works out for you.

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply, Phoenix! Yes, my memory foam topper is a Tempurpedic. And don’t worry, LOL, I did NOT perform mattress surgery! The bamboo cover on my ultimate dreams mattress zips off. I tend to prefer a more flat, non quilted feeling so have done pretty well without the cover. Some quick feedback: My memory foam topper is currently resting atop my non bamboo covered latex mattress and it felt very good! I only layed on it for a minute or two for experimentation, but so far so good. Laying on both my back and side felt comfortable. I do plan on experimenting a little bit i.e. putting my 2" latex topper underneath the memory foam topper, which would give me 5 inches of latex underneath my 3 inch memory foam. Even putting back on the bamboo cover and laying the memory foam on top of that seems like a worthy experiment. I will keep you updated with my results.

Hi Tyson,

Whew … I’m glad to hear that!

After my reply I went back to your previous posts and realized that you had the Eurotop so the zipper makes taking off the cover “just a little” easier than cutting it open :slight_smile:

You have a few layers to play with so it will be interesting to see which combination works out best for you and I’m looking forward to your updates.

Phoenix

Update…help needed! Well, it’s been over a month since I purchased the 3" Tempurpedic memory foam topper. Despite it being of excellent quality, it is simply a bit too firm for me. I am a back AND side sleeper, so need something that is a bit more friendly on my shoulders, while providing the enveloping feel of memory foam. Unfortunately, tempurpedic does NOT make a softer 3" topper so I need some advice (Phoenix are you listening? lol). Please, can anyone recommend a queen 3" or even wider memory/gel memory foam topper for my latex mattress. I am 5’9 and weight 158lbs. I want to lay DIRECTLY on the memory foam topper, but because of the firmness of the tempurpedic one, was forced to put my two inch talalay latex topper over it, thus rendering it less significant. I will eventually be putting a new memory foam topper on top of 3" of 24 ILD talalay latex, which itself rests upon a foam base. PLEASE HELP!

Hi Tyson,

Did you try this … and did it make any difference for you compared to using the memory foam topper over your 24 ILD Talalay layer?

You’ve probably read this already but just in case … post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to may be helpful in choosing the type and thickness of a topper that can work best for you.

Brooklyn Bedding where you purchased your mattress carries several types of memory foam and they have an exchange and return policy as well that may be helpful.

Other than that and with your lower body weight it would make sense to try a 4 lb memory foam topper that is a little softer but since any specific density of memory foam may have a range of firmness levels along with different response times and temperature sensitivity (all of which can affect the sensation of softness) you would need to talk with an online retailer or manufacturer about the specifics of the memory foam they carry.

In addition to Brooklyn Bedding … some of the other better sources of memory foam toppers I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix