Quality mattress on a tight budget in Canada

Hello. First of all I’d like to say thanks for all this great information. I’ve been reading through the articles, and while its been a bit of an info overload that I didn’t anticipate getting into, I did learn a lot and managed to figure out what I’m looking for a fair bit.

I’m located in Canada and had a budget of about $1000 in mind for a queen size mattress before I started shopping, but could increase it if it’s justified. I’m very reluctant to test showroom mattresses because of my anxiety, so I’m going to take the risk in buying something online. I’m just going to have to make the lowest risk purchase I can.

I think my stats are fairly average: 6’1" male, 200lbs, athletic build, side sleeper, and sleep somewhat hot, so I’m figuring the average “best seller” latex top mattress firmness levels on the various websites would probably be the lowest risk purchase as far as satisfaction. I’m not particularly sensitive about mattress comfort; I currently sleep on a 15 year old Sealy continuous-coil(no firmness level indicated on the tag) with 1" of cheap foam on it and it has served me well, but it’s time for an upgrade.

My question to the form is… what are my options exactly? Most of the stores on the Recommended page are out of my budget, unfortunately. memoryfoamcomfort.ca has the best value proposition to me out of the bunch, both because of price, and the option of purchasing separate core and toppers, further reducing my risk of purchasing online. I’m considering their “High Resilience” 6" foam core in “medium” (33 ILD) with a 2" Dunlop topper in “soft” (20 ILD) with a topper cover. This totals at $963 Canadian shipped. Is there anywhere else with comparable prices? I know there’s no guarantee I’ll be satisfied, but If I did go with this setup, would it be a wise purchase given my circumstances?

Thanks!

Hi mattimer,

[quote]I think my stats are fairly average: 6’1" male, 200lbs, athletic build, side sleeper, and sleep somewhat hot, so I’m figuring the average “best seller” latex top mattress firmness levels on the various websites would probably be the lowest risk purchase as far as satisfaction. I’m not particularly sensitive about mattress comfort; I currently sleep on a 15 year old Sealy continuous-coil(no firmness level indicated on the tag) with 1" of cheap foam on it and it has served me well, but it’s time for an upgrade.

My question to the form is… what are my options exactly? Most of the stores on the Recommended page are out of my budget, unfortunately. memoryfoamcomfort.ca has the best value proposition to me out of the bunch, both because of price, and the option of purchasing separate core and toppers, further reducing my risk of purchasing online. I’m considering their “High Resilience” 6" foam core in “medium” (33 ILD) with a 2" Dunlop topper in “soft” (20 ILD) with a topper cover. This totals at $963 Canadian shipped. Is there anywhere else with comparable prices? I know there’s no guarantee I’ll be satisfied, but If I did go with this setup, would it be a wise purchase given my circumstances?[/quote]

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the durability guidelines here relative to your weight/BMI range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). Different people just prefer different types of materials or mattresses but the only way to know which types of materials or mattresses or firmness levels you may tend to prefer in very general terms will be based on your own local testing or her own personal experience.

If you are focused primarily on online options then while it’s not a complete list … some of the better online options or possibilities I’m aware of that ship across Canada are listed in post #21 here.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

A good online retailer or manufacturer will generally suggest a mattress that they honestly believe has the best chance of success based on the information you provide them when you talk to them on the phone because this is in both your own and their best interests but again at the end of the day the only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience so if you can’t test a specific mattress in person then the options you have available after a purchase to either exchange the mattress or individual layers or components or return the mattress for a refund (and any costs involved) would generally become a more important part of your personal value equation just in case a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

If you are looking at online mattresses then it may also make sense to do some local testing as well which will give you a much better sense of the many different types of materials and components that are used in mattresses and some reference points about the types of mattresses and general firmness levels you tend to prefer which can help you narrow down your choices regardless of whether you end up purchasing locally or online.

If you let me know your city or postal code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

While I can’t speak to how any combination of materials will feel to you or whether they will be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP … in terms of durability these are both high quality materials that exceed the minimum durability guidelines and would be suitable for any BMI range.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the info and links. I’m currently looking through all the online stores in the link you provided.
I’m located in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Hi Mattimer,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Halifax, NS area are listed in post #3 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for that list of Halifax merchants, I didn’t think to search Halifax on the forums.
I’m currently heavily leaning towards the Brooklyn Bedding Ultimate Dreams mattress on wayfair.ca. I like that it’s a no-nonsense mattress , has 3" of talalay latex on the top layer, and has an excellent price of $825 CAD shipped. I’m waiting to hear back from Chuck to get a firmness recommendation.

Hi mattimer,

The Ultimate Dreams latex mattress would certainly make a great quality/value choice … and the Canadian prices on Wayfair.ca are lower than they are on Amazon.ca as well so I added the Wayfair listings to the Canada list as well. Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

It’s on a special thanksgiving sale apparently, so I have no idea what the typical “sale” price its listed for is.
I don’t like being pressured by sales, but this one actually looks like it might be legitimately lower than what they normally list it for, and it ends tonight. I’m on the fence between “cushion firm” and “medium plush,” having not received a recommendation from Chuck yet.

I’m getting conflicting info about the density of the poly foam in this mattress. Do you happen to know what’s currently being used in production?

Hi mattimer,

Assuming that their mattresses on Wayfair.ca are the same as the ones they are selling on their own site (and Chuck would be able to confirm this) … they are using 1.8 lb polyfoam in their base layer (see here).

Phoenix