Quality Mattress retailers in South Florida (Palm Beach County, Martin County)

Searching for a new mattress to replace a Simmons Beautyrest world class plush. I have learned so much about mattresses since I found your website. I am surrounded by big box stores and high end mattress choices (Kluft, sleep number). I can see that there is little correlation between quality and price. Please let me know if there is a retailer similar to Fox Mattress or Bedmasters, which are both 3 hours away. Thank you.

Hello Helenmw,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the general Ft Lauderdale / Miami / Palm Beach Gardens areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here ) are listed in post #2 here. The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Stuart / West Palm Beach areas are listed in post #2 here . There is some overlap between the lists and without knowing your exact location some of these may still be quite a drive for you. The largest selection is obviously in Palm Beach County along the coast, moving south.

Please let me know if you come up with any more specific questions.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your response. I will begin investigating the products in the retailers you mentioned. It is so fascinating to realize how complicated this purchase is and how you can no longer rely on the “trusted” brands of the past. Now I am happy to know what to look for and what makes a quality mattress; that it is all about the components and how they work together. And more importantly, how manufacturers use the components to create the different price points…

Hi Helenemw,

It sounds like you are on a good path educating yourself and using the resources here to make an informed decision. It’s unfortunate to say, but members who have spent just a few hours here doing careful reading are often more educated about mattresses and their construction than so many of the people selling mattresses, or “reviewing” them online.

Keep me updated as to your progress.

Phoenix

I wanted to update you on our purchase. We went to Shrader’s Mattress company in West Palm Beach. They are a family business and all they do is make mattresses. They have been making mattress for 50 years. Our salesperson, Austin, questioned us about what we were looking for in a mattress. He took us on a tour of the factory and showed us the materials used in making the various types of mattresses: the company makes mattresses for model homes, for boats, and of course for residential homes. We settled on a “traditional” mattress with an Innerspring (not pocket coil). The Innerspring mattress felt firmer to us than the pocket coil and we preferred the firmer feeling. By the way, we tested many mattresses on the floor of the warehouse showroom. (The showroom was more warehouse than showroom). Our mattress is 2-sided and each side has a pillow top. Austin explained that the mattress we order is made specifically for us so it was possible to make one side of the mattress a little firmer…or less firm…if one of us preferred that. Austin did not push the foundation (supporting box spring) purchase but we decided that it was better to start off with new products. We are extremely happy with our purchase, which was delivered about two weeks after the order.

Hi Helenmw,

Congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer:

I’m glad you were able to find a business that was able to provide you a quality mattress. I’ll be interested in learning about your Shrader Mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix

Yes. I agree that time will tell. Austin told us that if we have any issues, they will come out and examine the mattress and take whatever steps to repair if necessary. I am very happy to support local business.

Hi Helenemw,

That’s one of the advantages of dealing with a local manufacturer, as they can often provide extra services like this, and is one of the reasons many people prefer to stay local, as you mentioned.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix: I just wanted to update the forum on the purchase of my King Double pillow top mattress from Shrader’s mattress in West Palm Beach County. We received the mattress in February so we have been sleeping on it for over 2 months. For the first time in "years, " I wake up with no back pain at all. I will be honest and say that perhaps the mattress is a little bit firmer than I probably would have liked but I guess the firmness has helped me. I sleep on my back and on my stomach and I have no problems at all. As a reminder, this is a traditional innerspring mattress with a small pillow top on both sides of the mattress. I was instructed to turn it over every 60 days and also to turn it head to foot. I was told it would last a very long time if I take good care of it. And so I am. And will. Thank you for all the information.

Hi Helenemw,

Thank you for taking the time to provide an update on your Shrader mattress. I’m happy that you’re still sleeping well and that the mattress is performing to meet your needs. I’m also happy that the firmness (a little firmer than you may have initially liked) is helping keep your posture more neutral and you’re experiencing less back pain.

I look forward to your future updates!

Phoenix