Quality retail around Savannah, Ga 2015?

Hello,

We live in Savannah, Ga and I’ve been doing many days of reading on this website. Thank you so much for all of the information. My question is almost identical to one posted by someone looking for the same in 2012.

Since that has been several years ago, I am wondering if you or anyone reading this is familiar with any additional quality shops anywhere in our area? I am willing to drive to South Carolina, Jacksonville, or even Atlanta (if we have to!).

I will say that we seem to believe we’d prefer a hybrid mattress of coils with latex. We’ve been through an adjustable air mattress, a traditional pillow top and then a Tempurpedic; both of those last two from our local shop GreenFrog. I cannot say I found them to be all that knowledgeable nor helpful, but we didn’t really have the correct tools or questions to go mattress shopping at the time. They steered us toward TempurPedic.

I’ve been uncomfortable on it since the get go. Since then we tried a pick your layer latex but only had a short time to try it and ended up returning it. Now I am thinking we didn’t give it a fair shake, but it was very difficult to tell in a short time and we had trouble gauging the soft/firm factor. It also still seemed to hold heat, which is my top (not only) complaint with the Tempurpedic.

We have been in communication with Habitat Furnishings regarding the Regal tranquility mattress, however many of my first set of questions were left unanswered and I am waiting to hear back. I was disappointed to find out that the gel topper is an uncertified polyfoam which is on top of “natural” latex.

If you have any suggestions regarding new listings of reputable manufacturers in our area and/or any advice towards finding the correct mattress for us, I’d be most grateful. Again, we have read a great deal of your info here, however I am having a difficult time in finding a quality innerspring / latex combo mattress and question if we need to consider all latex again.

Thank you!!
Amy Reynolds

Hi Savannah,

[quote]We live in Savannah, Ga and I’ve been doing many days of reading on this website. Thank you so much for all of the information. My question is almost identical to one posted by someone looking for the same in 2012.

Since that has been several years ago, I am wondering if you or anyone reading this is familiar with any additional quality shops anywhere in our area? I am willing to drive to South Carolina, Jacksonville, or even Atlanta (if we have to!).[/quote]

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Savannah and Columbia, GA and the Hilton Head and Charleston, SC areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets that quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here (which is probably the post you were referring to). I generally keep the forum lists up to date as I become aware of new information and the list was last updated in 2014 but I just went through the list for the Savannah area again and made a few minor changes so it’s up to date as far as I’m aware.

The Augusta, GA / Aiken, SC list is in post #41 here and the Jacksonville, FL list is in post #7 here and the Atlanta, GA list is in post #2 here

As sad as it is … most of the people who have spent more than an hour or two reading the tutorial on the site will probably know more about mattresses and mattress materials than most of the salespeople in the mainstream industry. As you know I would avoid Tempurpedic and the other major brands or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality of the materials inside it. The only mattresses I would probably consider at Green Frog would be the PLB latex mattresses or their King Koil extended life (as long as they can provide you with all the information you need about the materials inside it).

You can see some comments about the Habitat Regal Tranquility mattress in post #2 here that may be helpful.

The “correct” or the “best” mattress for any particular person is always a mattress that you have confirmed is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences), that uses good quality and durable materials relative to your body weight, and that compares well with all the other finalists you are considering based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or the exchange return options that are available to you).

Outside of any local options that may be available to you in the lists I linked … some of the better sources for innerspring/latex mattresses (including pocket coils) that I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here.

I would also keep in mind that assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice.

Phoenix

Thank you for your very quick and very informative reply. I will let you know how it goes, as it may help others in our area.
Amy

Hi Savannah,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments and feedback or questions you may have along the way :slight_smile:

Phoenix