Quality Sleep Shop Experience

I have searched the forums and while I found some useful information from the few posts listed, I could not find anything on how they have been holding up.

My little story is that I recently purchased a latex mattress over foam and love it…so far. It is not from a smaller manufacturer, but I admit that I fell in love with it. The latex is such a different feel from foam, and to me, at least, it was like combining the things I liked best about innerspring with the things I liked best about memory foam.

In any case, I actually need to replace the other mattress here too. Sadly, while I thought I looked at all the smaller manufacturers for options, I only stumbled upon Quality Sleep Shop the other day, but am having a hard time finding anything about their longevity…short- and long-term, and also how hot non-gel sleeps (the Tempurpedics I tried felt like ovens to me in both stores, one had heat turned up, the other had the room temp around 69 degrees).

The two I am considering are the Emily and the current Katherine. One shows memory foam and the other latex over innerspring. Both are “similar”(I use that term vaguely) to the hybrids I have found and liked, but am highly concerned about depressions and “sinkholes” forming after less than a year; a seemingly common issue with the name brands. I would like to believe that Quality Sleep Shop is much much better, but cannot find anything to show it.

If anyone here has had first-hand experience over a year plus, or if anyone has seen any longer term “reviews”, I could really use the help. I plan on driving there this week to try them out, so any experiences with the mattress, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Nevermore,

The durability of a mattress will depend on the type and quality of the materials that are used inside it much more than the name of the manufacturer on the label so you would need to know the specifics of a mattress to be able to assess it’s quality/durability and make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

There is more about the factors that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

There is also more about the many factors that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress in post #2 here.

Quality Sleep and My Green Mattress are very knowledgeable about all the materials in their mattresses and will give you good information about all the materials in their mattresses and help you assess their relative durability and sleeping temperature. They use high quality materials relative to the budget range in all of their mattresses and as you probably know they are members of this site which means I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, and service.

I also wouldn’t pay much attention to mattress reviews (good or bad) as a way to assess the durability of a mattress (see post #13 here) and knowing the quality/durability of the materials in a mattress will be a far more effective way to assess how durable a mattress is likely to be.

Phoenix

Thank you for the information Phoenix.

I agree about reviews and I do take them “with a grain of salt.” There are so many different factors involved, that it can be difficult to separate the truth from perception. For instance, I found many reviews about memory foam mattresses where people were upset that they badly sagged. Yet, what some leave out is that they put that brand new mattress on a very old and worn out box spring with huge gaps between the slats. However, I do find them useful to get a general idea of other’s experiences, provided one has done their own research. Additionally, good or bad, I think people depend on them when ordering online. Because, sometimes, that is all you have to go on.

When I was was looking for the first one, I did not even set foot into a store for a week and a half. I spent that time devouring every bit of information that I could find, because there are so many different types out there now and so many different “grades” of materials used. It can be, and was, overwhelming. I used this site quite a bit and am thankful that it exists to help understand all of the variances that exist.

As you reiterated above, I learned along my journey that even sheets make a difference in how hot a mattress can feel.

In any case, while I am currently pleased with my mattress, I was not thrilled with the shopping experience. I came back here and opened up the membership list to see if anything was somewhat close to me. Quality Bed Shop is not super close, but not too far, so I am going to see their offerings up close. I am sure I will have lots more questions for them, and from the posts I found here and info elsewhere, I look forward to a better experience.

I admit that the first one I just could not bring myself to order online blindly. I checked a few smaller manufacturers and even Amazon, yet once I started discovering how different they feel, even compared to one another (the brand names), I chose something I could touch first. For me, this is a big expense and it had been so long since I looked at anything. So, I wanted to try as many as possible, which I did.

Now, I have a much better understanding of the general differences from extra firm to ultra plush. Now I have a better idea what a latex feels like compared to memory foam.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate that sites like this exist to help people like me. Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi Nevermore,

I think you will be glad you made the trip and I’m looking forward to your feedback :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I cannot change the thread title, but after today I feel it should read “Quality Sleep Shop Experience” (hint at Phoenix :whistle: )"

Today I went to Quality Sleep Shop to see and try their mattresses first-hand. I had read about the level of service, yet it was beyond any expectations. Let me first get out of the way that I did not receive any special discounts or extra special treatment to write about it. I felt compelled to offer my impressions, because they deserve it.

I just recently purchased a mattress from a store, because I did not know this place existed, yet I also needed a second one and luckily checked the list from this site. My store experience was not super bad, but I did feel a little beat up from the experience.

My visit today to Quality Sleep Shop was, without exaggeration, THE MOST pleasant and helpful shopping experience in my life. When I left, I felt complete joy and happiness. It felt, well, strange, because I am not used to anyone treating people that way, and they do it for everyone. It does not matter if you are rich or poor, tall or short, thin or fat…they take care of you.

When I walked in, there were two gentlemen who greeted me very courteously. One was Tim the owner and the other his friend. I went in there to look at the Emily and the Katherine. Tim showed them to me and made sure I layed on them and not just sit on the edge. He also asked me a few questions, and answered any that I had to make sure I was looking at the right ones.

Now, this mattress is a gift for two wonderful parents who would go to a store and buy a $99 cheapy and say it is fine. I think they deserve better, so I slyly prodded and hinted them for information, had them try mine, and found their likes. I explained this to Tim and he asked me all kinds of questions to make sure I was looking at the right ones. The Emily and Katherine are wonderful, both very comfy and if I could get mine all over again, I would pick the Emily. Yet, Tim somehow knew what mattress would be right for two elderly, wonderful, parents.

He brought me to The Noell, which I did not even know at the time, was less money than the other two. He explained why this one was a good choice for them and then I lay down on it. Wow…it was close to PERFECT. It was so soft and comfortable and I knew this was the one after trying it. How Tim knew before even trying it, I do not know. I think he is some kind of magician, he listens and guides, yet never puts pressure. He explains everything and has more knowledge about mattresses than I could have imagined. And he will help you find the one that fits your needs, as opposed to, just trying to sell you the most expensive thing.

I asked about cool sleeping and he recommended adding a wool layer to it, then proceeded to show me a sample of it, and then took the time to explain how it would help and why. And yet, he never once forced it.

In my opinion, Tim is a genuine craftsman. He cares about his products and you can sense the passion in him. And, he is the nicest guy you could ever hope to meet, along with everyone I met or talked to in the shop. To anyone worried about pressure or being sold something you do not want, give Tim a call (Ask him about how he got started, it is a warming story. I saw a review that said to ask him, so I am repeating it here.)

They make the mattresses at the LaGrange Heights location, where I went, and the foundations are manufactured at their Brookfield store. You can watch them working through the glass and see the attention to detail and the pride they take in their work.

The mattress I chose was the Noell with an added wool layer. It has an extremely soft bamboo cover and, while it is a few days away from delivery, I am more excited about it than I should admit. Tim also made sure to apply the 5% Mattress Underground discount. Speaking of delivery, I was not sure if my elderly (yet they have more energy than me) parents would be okay with the high foundation or the low one, so you know what Tim did? He told me he will have his driver bring both, and they can decide which they like better for getting in and out of bed.

I had a pretty tight budget for this mattress, yet hoped for something good. What I bought from Quality Sleep Shop is beyond good. It looks and feels better than anything I have seen in other stores. I am not kidding when they are almost like works of art on display. From my viewpoint, I truly believe they care THAT much about their craft.

Hi Nevermore,

Done :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to share such a thoughtful and detailed review of your experiences. As you know … it also reflects my own thoughts about why they are such a great choice!

I think your parents will be thrilled … and I’m looking forward to any updates you have the chance to share once they’ve received it.

Your concern for and gift to your parents is really touching :slight_smile:

Phoenix

*Update–Today was delivery day from Quality Sleep Shop–Ask and ye shall receive Phoenix :wink: *

The truck pulled up to the house and out hopped a young man and woman. Continuing the exceptional service, they smiled and we greeted one another. I asked how I could help with bringing it inside and both said to not worry, that they had it handled.

I opened the door to allow them to walk in and they were attempting to remove their shoes while holding the mattress. I admired their courtesy, yet told them not to worry about it as a little speck of snow could simply be wiped off. Both were very careful and watched to avoid hitting anything. Again, the respect and courtesy were evident even with delivery.

After bringing both the mattress and foundation up, unwrapping, and setting both up, the two of them wrapped the old mattress and box spring in the plastic bags and brought them to the curb for us, so the metal collectors or trash service will pick them up tomorrow.

I do not think I mentioned it before, but the people at this shop do it all. They build, they deliver, they assist customers in the showrooms…they all work together and do what is needed. This includes Tim, the owner. He is often out delivering mattresses himself.

The look on my parents’ face was priceless and they said it was beautiful. Of course, they then laid down on it and let out a huge happy sigh. Now, this is just the first few hours, yet they love it. It is incredibly soft, yet supportive. If I had to put a firmness on it, that word would be “perfect.” Plush, yet not where you sink so far you cannot get out, yet firm enough to support you extremely comfortably. Like the nursery rhyme goes “this one is juuust right.”

One thing I wanted to mention is that sometimes mattresses seem to slide around on their box springs. This mattress stays put and I have zero worry about it moving around off the foundation. I don’t know what they use on the bottom of the mattress and top of box spring, but it works superbly to keep it secure.

This little shop in Illinois made two wonderful parents very happy. They also made me very happy and I have zero regrets about buying from them. Every step of the way, they were caring, kind, and extremely helpful…from me walking through the door all the way to delivery. I still hold to what I said earlier in this thread: This was THE BEST shopping experience.

The picture of the Noelle on Quality Sleep Shop’s website does not do it justice. This mattress is gorgeous, as are all of the ones I saw during my visit. There is just nothing like seeing them and feeling them firsthand. And no, sorry, you all cannot come over :lol:

Without further delay, I give you The Noelle that arrived today:

Hi Nevermore,

Thanks for the update and the pictures … the mattress certainly looks beautiful (and it’s nice to know that what’s inside it is just as good)!

I’m thrilled that both you and your parents were so happy with the whole experience and I think your post qualifies as one of the “warm fuzzies” that I love to read :slight_smile:

Phoenix

It is my pleasure Phoenix.

Too often we hear about bad experiences and we forget that there ARE good ones. Good ones made possible by people who care, people who want to help, and people who love doing it.

This site, the people on this site, and you especially give a lot to help others. Small businesses like Tim Masters’ Quality Sleep Shop are out there, and luckily, I found them on The Mattress Underground. The whole team shares a passion and take a lot of pride in what they do. I admire that and I appreciate all that they did to help me…to help my loved ones.

Thank YOU Phoenix for all that you do here. And, I do not know if Tim, or his team, read these forums a lot, but I want to say Thank You. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with Quality Sleep Shop. I have been researching mattresses for some time and have narrowed my search down to mygreenmattress (which is part of Quality Sleep Shop) and Sleep EZ. I am looking at the Everlast Hybrid at mygreenmattress and a customizable all latex mattress at Sleep EZ. Unfortunately I live in NE FL and we do not have any good mattress stores around my area so I will be buying on-line which is kind of scary. My next step is to call and speak with both companies. Again, thanks for the review and also thanks to Phoenix for such an awesome site!

Hi ECUPirates,

I’m not sure exactly where you are in NE FL but post #2 here has some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around Jacksonville which may help with testing different types of latex mattresses and give you some reference points.

Phoenix

I feel guilty for ordering our newest mattress on-line and hope it lives up to what I hope because Tim Masters and the Quality Sleep Shop are awesome. We have used them multiple times and he even made us a custom trundle mattress. You never feel like you are getting a bad deal and they truly care about their customers. I highly recommend them and, despite this one on-line buy, will always think of them first.

Update

It has been about three weeks now and the Noelle is doing great. It was just rotated for the first time and the parents are very happy with it. They are sleeping better and said it is soft and comfortable and not a bit of sagging. I am still extremely pleased with the whole experience and the next time anyone I know needs a new mattress, I know who and where I am recommending :slight_smile: .