Quality Sleep Shop

Hi, I’m obviously a newbie to this site. My husband and I have started and stopped our mattress shopping adventure several times in the past year. We even bought one and cancelled it the next day, scared off by reviews.
Currently not loving/liking/tolerating our Tempurpedic. Stopped in the Quality Sleep Shop near our home and tried out several Latex models - with and without springs. I found the all latex model too bouncy, and my hips sank in. My husband, weighing less than I do, did not sink in. Both of us liked the latex versions with springs, non flippable, but one came with a latex mattress pad on top that was flippable. Perhaps it would extend the comfort life on the mattress??? My questions are these: Has any one dealt with this store before? Opinions??? Has anyone purchased either the Katherine Latex or the Everlast Natural Pillow top? I guess we are gun-shy after our memory foam mattress developed amnesia.

Hi bobber4all,

The first place I would start your mattress research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the bet possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

I would be very cautious about using mattress reviews (good or bad) as a reliable source of meaningful information about mattresses (see post #13 here).

Post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

The main reason for a topper on a mattress is to provide additional pressure relief and “comfort” and since the top layers of a sleeping system are generally the weakest link in terms of durability (a mattress will tend to soften or break down from the top down) … a topper also has the advantage of being able to replace it without having to replace the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down sooner than the deeper layers in the mattress. A topper will also absorb much of the compression forces that come from sleeping on a mattress which are the biggest reason that mattress layers break down so it will reduce the amount of compression and improve the durability of the materials underneath it as well.

Quality Sleep / My Green Mattress are sister companies that are both invited members of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. A forum search on qualitysleep or a title search on Quality Sleep (you can just click the links) or a forum search on mygreenmattress or a title search on My Green Mattress (again you can just click the links) will bring up much more information and feedback about them. As you can see there are many members here that have purchased from them and been very impressed with their knowledge and service and the quality of the mattresses that they purchased there. They would certainly be the first place I would include in my research if I was in the Chicago area … and quite possibly the last.

Outside of testing a mattress to make sure that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it (regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label). Fortunately … Quality sleep is completely transparent about the type and quality of all the materials in their mattresses and use high quality and durable materials in all their mattresses.

The materials in the Katherine latex hybrid are listed here and in the Everlast Natural Pillow top are listed here and both of them use high quality and durable materials and components (latex and a good quality pocket coil) and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in either of them so if either of them are a good match for you in terms of PPP they would be well worth considering.

Phoenix