Queen mattress for under $800 in San Francisco/ South Bay Area

Hi, I am new here. I am about to return the T&N all-foam mattress, and looking for another. It’s not a bad mattress at all, but, for one, I feel that I lose surface area getting too close to the edges and slanting off, and two, it sleeps kind of hot for me. I live in the south bay (Santa Clara) of the San Francisco bay area/peninsula, and would like to find an innerspring mattress that has no “weak links” in its construction. I would much prefer to buy at a local store where I can check it out. My budget is best served at $800 and under. I almost ordered a Charles P. Rogers St. Charles for $627 with free shipping (as it has 1000 12.75 gauge i-coils). It is supposedly quite firm, and I thought I could put a topper on it, but, information online regarding this company is conflicting, and there are virtually no reviews on it.

Suggestions??

Thanks,

Rob

Hi river,

I’m sorry to hear that your T&N mattress didn’t work out as well as you hoped for but the good news is that you had the foresight to choose a mattress that has a great return policy so you had the chance to try it with little risk.

There are also other online options available as well that may also be worth considering.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the areas in and around San Jose (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

I don’t have a record of the specific mattresses they each carry so you may need to check their websites and make a few phone calls first before you visit any of them to make sure they have one or more mattresses on their floor that will fit your criteria.

Phoenix

Thanks for your response Phoenix:

I checked out Nest Bedding and liked their “easy breather”, which is a hybrid (600 i-coils, 3" natural Dunlop latex, and some cotton). I really liked the feel. They call it a medium firmness (or on the softer side) but it felt very supportive. It had a bounce or buoyancy feel that liked. The price for queen is $999. I guess i should check bay bed and mattress.

Best,

river

Hi river,

The Easy Breather uses good quality materials and there are no lower quality or less durable materials or weak links in the design so if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and it also compares well to your other finalists based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then it would certainly be well worth considering.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I was wondering if you know anything about the type of i-coil they use in the Easy Breather at Nest Bedding. It’s a challenge to find this out. I am also getting mixed information on the # of coils used. Their web-site says “almost 600” but today over the phone they said 1000.

Thanks, river.

Hi river,

The springs in the Easy Breather are pocket coils but if they are actually icoils then this is a trademark name that Zinus uses for their pocket springs. Zinus is a Chinese manufacturer that makes mattresses under many different brand names. The description doesn’t say anything about i-coils … only that it uses pocket coils.

I don’t know the specifics of the coils but a retailer/manufacturer would be the most reliable source of this type of information and if you are getting “mixed information” from different people (which could be because different sizes will have a different number of coils) then I would talk with Joe the owner who will give you accurate information. NOTE ADDED: They are also now a member of this site

Either way though the coil count of a mattress by itself is relatively meaningless and unimportant compared to how well the mattress as a whole matches your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). The coil count will also have little to do with the durability of the mattress because the comfort layers in a mattress are generally the weakest link in a mattress not the support layers underneath them (see this article and post #10 here about innersprings).

Phoenix