Question about 4 layers of latex

Dear Phoenix,
I have just ordered a 13000 organic latex mattress for sleepez, based on your recommendation. We decided on the 13000 just to get a little extra height to our mattress which will be on a platform bed, and is an adjustment for us from a high plush coiled mattress. The helpful person at sleepez said that we basically do not need the extra layer for comfort due to our weights, but suggested that the following might be good–top layer of soft talalay on both sides, 2nd Medium layer of dunlop, 3rd layer of firm dunlop, and then put a medium talalay on the bottom. He suggested that because my husband is not sure that he will like the soft, and this gives him a few options to switch for medium layers between the talalay and dunlop. Does that seem to make sense to you? ( I have a few days to confirm the order before they send it to me.)

We had first checked out a savvy rest mattress in town to figure out comfort, but the price was appreciably higher and so far are very pleased with sleepez service.

I am wanting to get a waterproof mattress protector since young children may be in bed with us at times. I just want to confirm that a thin membrane waterproof protector will not harm the latex at all, will it?
Thank you for your help. This is a great site!

Hi rbarnett,

Yes … it makes sense to me.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include SleepEZ) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

You’ve probably seen this already but there is more about the pros and cons of the different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here.

One of the thin membrane protectors would certainly be a good choice if “waterproof” is an important criteria and they certainly won’t harm the latex.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I don’t recall if SleepEZ does, but at least 2 of the 4 companies I researched allow for different configurations on each side of the bed. That might be worth a question or 2 before you confirm your order.

Hi MikeinVA,

SleepEZ does have split layers and the mattress they ordered has split layers which is why they ordered the split medium layer on the bottom so that her husband can try the medium layer on top to see if he prefers it vs the soft without needing to change both sides.

Phoenix

Sorry, I didn’t see that in the post above, but perhaps you knew that from an original thread.

Hi MikeinVA,

They have only had a single post on the forum but I already knew that SleepEZ has split layers so it seemed clear to me from their original post that the medium on the bottom was to give her husband a choice of firmness levels in the top layer.

Phoenix

I also bought 13000 organic latex mattress. It’s soft and perfect for sound sleep. Water resist mattress covers are available in eBay and amazon. You can choose from there.

rbarnett:

Did you try out the 13 in from sleepez yet? we are making the same decision this weekend.

Hi Jake,

See my reply here in the other topic you posted in which would apply to your question in this topic as well.

Phoenix

Hi Jake,
Yes we did get the 4 layers and are very happy with it. We like the extra layer just for the extra height, and are glad we got it. We ended up getting Extra firm dunlop, firm dunlop, medium Talalay and soft Talalay instead of our original possible layers (we had called back and gotten different advice). I am very happy with that configuration but my husband wants his side a little firmer. Right now he is trying the two medium talalays and then firm and extra firm dunlop and I have the two softs. We are going to exchange a layer.
The mattress itself is wonderful, and seems to be very high quality. The company was wonderful to deal with, and all people with whom I spoke were very helpful. It seems quite easy to exchange a layer (only $30 for the first layer exchange). Materials came very well packaged. It was pretty easy to put the bed together.
It was also great to get the Mattress Underground discount–which saved $105. Also got free sheets and pillows.
Definitely would recommend the company and product.

Hi rbarnett,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you for your feedback. Any guidance on a foundation for latex mattresses?

Hi Jake,

I switched your post to a new topic of it’s own with a more descriptive title because your question was outside the scope of the topic you posted in.

An all latex mattress will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components need to be strong and durable and stable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, or breaking over time. The support surface under the mattress should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. I would suggest that in a slatted support system (either a foundation on a steel or wooden bedframe or a platform bed with a slatted support surface) that any gaps between the slats are no more than 3" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than that would be better yet.

There is also more information about the different support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here.

Phoenix