question about a Pure Bliss latex hybrid mattress

I am in chicago and delving into this arcane world of mattresses… There is number of “DIScount Mattress” stores in the chicagoland.I did a Google search for Latex mattresses and came up with them and went and checked them out.They had a few floor models of Pure Latex Bliss Hybrid mattresses for me to check out…The sales guy told me that they are not selling that particular brand very well so they were on sale. Big time.they had 3 models. available.The “Vitality”,“Balance” and “Celebrate”. i have gone back a number of times and like the feel,also i am highly allergic to things so this appeals to me.

.The question i have is,since the stock isn’t moving the 3 mattresses are discounted considerably ( the store is filled with more traditional brands and boxspring mattresses…The sales guy said Memory foam is what people want and also the traditional mattresses.Thus these mattresses and foundation for the Pure Latex Bliss Hybrids are marked down to $800.00 inlcuding delivery… They retail closer to $2,000 or more.Quite a discount!!.. I read on your posts that sometimes manufactures ship out their "second’ and stuff to discount place.SHould this be a concern for me? Would they answer me truthfully if I asked?Is there a way for the consumer to tell???
Also for this manufacturer, is the flame retardant process something I should be concerned about, or is it safe?I could find no info on that on their web site. thanks.tom

Hi teige,

It would be a concern if they weren’t an authorized dealer for the mattress they were selling (in this case PLB) and were advertising them as “overstock”, “excess stock”, “scratch and dent”, “truck scuffs”, “minor defects”, or “comfort returns” or other similar terms or if for any reason there was no factory warranty. In the case of PLB you can always call them to see if they are an authorized dealer or check to see if they are listed on their retail store finder here.

I would also compare the price and “value” of a mattress to your other finalists or other similar mattresses rather than a regular selling price or advertised price which may be inflated or not representative of other similar mattresses and of course no matter what the price of a mattress … the most important part of “value” is how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP.

Whether they answered truthfully or not would depend on each person and I don’t think there is any generic answer that would cover any specific retailer so you would need to use “best judgement” and if you had any doubts make sure you check the mattress for any signs of use, wear, or damage (see post #2 here).

There is more about flame retardant methods in this article and in post #2 here and post #4 here but the inherent fire barriers that PLB uses (see here) are “safe” yes.

Just in case you haven’t seen it yet … the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Chicago area are listed in posts #2 and #4 here.

Phoenix

thanks for the speedy reply/ i went back to one of their other stores tonight as the first store did not have the "vitalty"mattress anymore , I asked the guy about the mattresses and he told me they are discounted as they are not selling well and will be discontinued,this is the land of foam and boxsprings :slight_smile: anyway they are listed on the purebliss website as a distributor and thanks to your info and that I feel comfortable ordering the Vitality mattress from them. I found the thicker latex mattress to be too soft and the other to be too firm and this one was right in the middle…sort of like goldilocks and the tres bears. I am glad i found your website and will recommend to others. thanks you for taking the time to help me. i grew up in a time when a bed was just a bed.and now it’s so much more. tom

Hi teige,

The Vitality certainly uses high quality materials (2" of Talalay GL fast response, 2" of blended talalay, and their bonded polyfoam/latex core) so there are no weak links in the mattress.

The price seems very good as well so if you’ve tested the mattress for PPP and it’s a good match for you it sounds like a great choice to me.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

hi phoenix, hey does PPP= personal preferences priorities? i am a bit bleary eyed from all the reading online that i have done so maybe it was explained somewhere but i didn’t see it… Your entries are so highly informative,conversational in tone and in depth. I am awed by how much content you put into your replies and after reading a number of threads,i really have learned a lot ,more than anyplace else that i have been. the sounding board really addressed issues that seem to be universal and I am impressed on how people are aiming for organic and non toxic solutions.thanks again.tom

Hi teige,

It’s discussed in the tutorial post but it means Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences.

There’s lots of information there and it’s easy to miss some of it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

hi. i was sort of close :)…I catch the drift of that now.and the pressure relief thing is big with me,as a side sleeper and with a partial hip replacement, when i was testing the mattresses out, and others over the last few months, this has been a huge indicator for me, is how my hip felt,that’s where the “firm” mattresses were too much. I remember sleeping on a memory foam when they were first the rage and the mattress just didn’t feel right to me,for me it was akin to sleeping on a beach… another aspect for me is dust and allergies,dust mites ( i liked your debunking of the dust mite residue doubling the weight of the mattress over time) and I feel the Pure Bliss will address some of that, I entered this forum on the threads and did not go to the tutorial which I will now…thanks.bye.tom

Tom, save yourself some big bucks and build your own at half the discounted store price. I test drove a Latex Bliss Beautiful, found out what was in it and dropped three 3" slabs of the same Latex foam by Latex International - 36ILD (firm), 28ILD (medium), 19 ILD (plush). Buy a good stretch cover encasement and you have your mattress.

Mark

Hi Mark in Texas,

Just for clarification for others that may read this … the PLB specs are in post #2 here and the Beautiful is 36 ILD, 24 ILD, and 21 ILD which is close to but a little different from the ones you listed.

Phoenix