Question about foundation for latex mattress

I’m considering purchasing a 13" all Talalay mattress. I currently have a 10" innerspring mattress on a 7" boxspring. I plan to purchase a new foundation to go with the new latex mattress. In order to not raise the total height of the bed too much, would it be acceptable to purchase a shorter foundation to go with the higher mattress, or will it not provide enough support to the mattress?

Im no expert…but I don’t think the height of the foundation will effect the support at all. As long as the foundation is solid and strong you are ok. With latex you want slats close together or a platform type bed. Standard boxspring won’t work.

Hi Riley17,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’ll add a few thoughts to the reply from alasearwax’s reply, which was quite accurate (thanks alasearwax!).

While you’d always want to check with your latex mattress manufacturer, most latex mattresses work best when placed upon a non-flexing surface that is firm and solid. Some sort of slatted network is quite popular, as it allows for ventilation. 3" or less between the slats is generally recommended for heavy latex mattresses, and you’d want to make sure that the slats are reinforced so that they won’t sag.

An actual coil “box spring” is generally not recommended for an all-latex mattress (although there are still a few manufacturers who create latex mattress sets using true coil box springs). I know most people commonly refer to the bottom piece of a mattress set as a “box spring”, but for the sake of clarity a box spring is different from a foundation which is different from a solid-deck platform. There is more about the different types of foundations in the foundation thread here.

If purchasing a proper slatted deck foundation, getting a “normal” profile or a “low” profile wouldn’t be an issue, as quite often all that is changed is the height of the risers used to support the top deck in the construction (often 2" x 4" pieces), which would not impact durability.

Phoenix

Thank you both very much! This forum is such a fantastic resource.

I spoke with someone this evening at the company where I’m considering buying the mattress. She said that the slatted foundation would be great but that any flat, sturdy surface should be fine. I asked her about my frame, and she suggested the Bedder Base. I’ve looked it up and it looks like a foundation would not be needed with it. It’s 14" high, so even without a foundation, it would elevate the total height of my bed quite a bit from what I have now. I don’t think it would look very good with my current headboard.

My current frame is a metal frame with side rails. It has 7 legs - two each at the top and bottom and three across the middle of the bed. Should that be sufficient to support a low profile foundation and a 13" latex mattress, or do I need to purchase something like the Bedder Base?

Hi Riley17,

Thank you for the compliment.

My first thought would be to check the warranty guidelines for the mattress you’re considering to make sure that they will cover the product if placed upon a wire grid network (some brands are quite specific). There are also some comments and some suggestions about wire grid platform bedframes used for all-latex mattresses in post #10 here that can help make them more supportive as well if you are looking at some of the cheaper ones that have wider spaces between the wires. With a base like this you obviously wouldn’t need a bed frame or foundation.

While I can’t see your bed frame, it sounds as if it has good support, and a good high-quality foundation placed upon that which is appropriate for a latex mattresses should work well. I’d recommend at least 1.5" angle iron along the sides for your metal bed frame.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix! I’m glad you think it sounds like my current frame will work well because it’s my preference to keep it.

I’m looking at this foundation, which I found in another post on this forum:

Does the pairing of the frame I described, this foundation, and a 13" latex mattress sound like it would work? I’ve never pieced together a mattress and foundation like this, so I’d love your opinion on whether I’m making good choices before I move ahead.

I have additional questions about the mattress but I’ll post those separately in a new topic.

Hi Riley17,

Yes, this foundation is designed to work with latex mattresses, has slat gaps less than 3" apart, and has a weight capacity of up to 1500 pounds which would be adequate for use with a latex mattress and two individuals. A choice like this would pair well with your all-latex mattress and bed frame.

Phoenix

Sounds perfect! Thank you so much, Phoenix!

Hi Riley17,

You’re most welcome!

Phoenix