Question about Kingsdown latex mattress

I cannot thank God enough for this wonderful website! It has truly been such a help in our quest for a comfortable night’s sleep! With the help of these forums, we have narrowed our search to latex; leaning towards a Flobed or SleepEz… However, upon testing latex mattresses from our local store, we found ourselves on a Sleep Haven by Kingsdown, which we both fell in love with…but we are unable to find much out about the quality of it. The salesman was able to tell us it contained 1" latex gel graphite, 1" 14ild latex, 2" high grade foam, with the remaining 3.5" a poly gel/gel fiber foam core. Does anyone have any experience with this bed, or seen any reviews? (I’ve found none)…or if not, could someone please enlighten me as to whether or not this could be a good choice? Any help is truly appreciated! :slight_smile:

Hi ekim78,

There is some good information about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) … the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability and the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that a retailer or manufacturer you are considering is willing and able to provide you with the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress before making any purchase.

If you can provide the information in the article I linked about the type and quality of all the layers and components inside the Kingsdown mattress you are considering then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials inside it and the mattress as a whole and let you know if I can see any weak links in the design. Without this information it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about any mattress.

If a manufacturer or retailer is either unwilling or unable to provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice (which would probably include most Kingsdown mattresses … see here) I would pass the mattress by (see the guidelines here).

Flobeds and SleepEZ are both members of this site which means that I think highly of both of them and I believe that they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

While you didn’t mention which of their mattresses you were considering … I’m assuming that both of them are “all latex” mattresses while the Kingsdown you are considering appears to only contain about 2" of latex which is barely even enough to even consider it as a latex/polyfoam hybrid.

While other people’s comments or reviews about the knowledge, service, and guidance of a particular business can certainly be helpful … I would generally avoid using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

Phoenix