Question about latex mattress design

Hi Phoenix,

Any advantages/disadvantages to a 3 + 3+ 2 + 2 inch design versus 3+ 2 + 2+ 2 design? How about a 3 + 3+ 2 design? I am assuming that more layers provide more potential adjustments.

Also, what are your feelings about buying lightly used latex toppers second hand?

Thanks!

Hi ps99115,

Outside of the ability to fine tune the comfort or support of a mattress and having more options to rearrange or exchange layers … a mattress that has more layers isn’t inherently better or worse than a mattress that has less layers. If a mattress only has a single layer but is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP then it would be just as good as a mattress that has 4 layers of the same material that was also a good match for you as well.

On the other hand … if a mattress isn’t a good “match” for you then having more layers gives you more options to fine tune the comfort and/or support of the mattress.

I would keep in mind that for most people there is a range of mattresses that would be a good match in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP but if you are closer to the “princess and the pea” than the “I can sleep on anything” end of the range then the number of mattresses that would be a good “match” for you would be more limited so in this case the ability to fine tune the mattress may become more important.

I would also keep in mind that for most people either the initial combination they choose or perhaps one or two changes in the layering combination would generally have a high rate of success and having more options than just two or three different combinations can sometimes be more complex than it needs to be and can lead to constantly seeking a level of “perfection” based on very narrow criteria that may not exist in “real life” and those people that need more than 2 or 3 options to find a layering combination that works well for them can sometimes end up constantly changing their layering combinations and never being happy with any combination they try.

There is more about the pros and cons of having more layers in post #2 here and there is also more about the effect of thickness (more layers would make a thicker mattress) in post #14 here.

The number of layers and the thickness of each layers are just two of many variables that can affect whether a specific mattress is a good match for any particular person but the only reliable way to know for certain whether a mattress or specific combination of layers would be a suitable choice would be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience.

It would depend on the condition of the topper, who I was buying it from, how much I trusted them, and on my confidence that the layer was undamaged and in good condition.

These are the types of questions that each person needs to decide for themselves because there are certainly some people that would never be comfortable with sleeping on a layer or on a mattress that someone else has slept on and even the thought of a single hair that belongs to someone else or the thought about what may have “happened” on the layer or mattress that they are sleeping on would be more than enough to significantly bother them and yet for other people it would be “no problem” and the lower cost would be well worth it.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply Phoenix!

I’m definitely more of the princess in the pea type of sleeper (very sensitive). You can see my other thread of pulling the trigger on a DIY latex mattress and all of the changes I tried :slight_smile:

Currently sleeping on 3X3X3 med/firm/med blended talalay (radium) with 4 way stretch cover. Fairly happy with bed overall but sometimes want a slightly softer (more conforming) comfort layer. I was thinking of experimenting with a 2" soft (ILD 22) topper in the mix. I am justifying it by making a latex mattress for the guest bedroom (although main purpose is to fine tune our mattress further). I ideally need 5-6 inches more of latex to make the 2nd bed.

I could do 3X3X2 (Xfirm/med/soft) or 3X3X2x2 (xfirm/firm/med/soft) or even 3X3X2 (xfirm/firm/medium). Any thoughts on which would have a slightly softer comfort layer (surface feel) than my current mattress but still have a very supportive support layer?

Thanks again!

Hi ps99115,

If by “surface feel” you mean which one would feel softer with very slight pressure then it would would depend on the specific type and blend and ILD of the latex in the top 2" layer but I would also keep in mind that a mattress that has a softer “surface feel” can still feel firmer overall when you sleep on it depending on how much you sink into the mattress and on which type of firmness you are most sensitive to (see post #15 here)

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! I think a 2" soft (ILD 22) topper is a good starting point. Also, 8 inches of latex for the guest bedroom is likely plenty. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all your help!

I’m curious. What I have read here indicates that having the “Firm” layer in the middle provides a firmer support layer. Did you try this layer on the bottom, i.e. Firm/Med/Med?

If that changes the support layer too much, then I’m curious why you would simply swap out the top “Med” layer for something softer?

Hi mikeinVA,

I tried the firm on the bottom ( med/med/firm) and that was too soft for me. I am an exclusive back sleeper at 175 lbs so I like a firmer bed. I am somewhere in between a med/med/firm and med/firm/med with blended talalay. if I were to place a 3 " soft topper as the comfort later it would be too soft for me although a 1 “or 2” soft topper as part of the comfort layer may work.

I thought more about it and I think my next move is going to purchase a firm and medium 100% natural Dunlop 3" toppers and try the configuration of med/med/firm with the top layer being blended talalay and the bottom 2 layers being Dunlop. I honestly prefer the feel of Dunlop but found I have a chemical sensitivity (nasal congestion) to Dunlop but not talalay. I’m hoping that as long as the top layer is talalay and all the latex us zipped up in a cover I can tolerate it. I am going to purchase the Dunlop from sleeponlatex.com which has excellent prices and a generous return policy. Nothing to lose!

Hi ps99115,

As you probably know ILD ratings for Dunlop are generally less “exact” than they are for Talalay (the range for any specific ILD rating is wider than it is for Talalay) but if two layers are the same thickness and ILD then the Dunlop would typically “feel” a little firmer because it has a higher compression modulus (the rate that a layer becomes firmer with deeper compression). If all your Dunlop layers are the same ILD as your Talalay layers then a F/M/M would likely be a little firmer than the same layering in Talalay so it may work well for you.

Having the Dunlop deeper in the mattress should also reduce the chance that it will affect your nasal passages as well.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

That’s what I was thinking as well. Also I would much rather have a 3x3x3 layering to keep things simple than having 1" or 2" layers. Will keep you posted when we get around to making the changes!