Question about platform bed for SleepEZ 13000

Durendal -

I hope it works out well for you. We love it, although I will say it took me a couple months to truly get used to it. My husband loved it right off the bat, which surprised me considering he didn’t want to get a new bed in the first place. This morning I didn’t want to get out of bed. Good luck!

Hi all. I was thinking about this site today so I thought I’d pop in and leave an update since it’s been over a year now.

We are still very happy with the mattress. It has definitely broken in and feels a little softer than when it was brand new. There are very slight body indentations in the quilted wool on the top of the mattress casing. When you unzip the cover, the foam looks and feels fine and just as springy as day one. The slight indentations do not bother us at all. We can’t feel them when laying in the bed. I only notice when I take the bedding off to wash it.

There is hardly any motion transfer, I rarely wake up with numb arms, and I’m actually sleeping better on my side. I used to be more of a stomach sleeper. Perhaps that was due to the uncomfortable old mattress which created horrible pressure points on my hips and shoulders.

I have even gotten used to the shredded latex pillows. I wouldn’t say I love the pillow, but I sleep better with it than with my old feather pillows now. I am still considering a wool pillow, but I’ve been sleeping fine so haven’t felt the need to spend $120 on a new pillow yet.

The tatami bed frame has held up perfectly. I love it. I do wish I had splurged on the tatami mats though. The mattress is a tight fit in the recessed frame and it’s difficult to get the fitted sheet on. The mats would have allowed the mattress to sit level with the outer rim of the bed frame. Oh well. It’s not a big deal, but if anyone is debating getting the tatami frame with the mats, I’d say go for it if you can afford it.

The only thing I am terribly disappointed with is the bedding I bought from The Company Store. It has not held up well at all. It has shrunk a bit so that the fitted sheet is a tight fit on the mattress (these were supposed to fit up to a 14" mattress too!), the colors faded after a couple washes, and the duvet cover even formed a few small “L” shaped tears in the fabric. This was the first time (and likely the last time) I bought relatively expensive bedding rather than just picking up inexpensive sheets from Target or JCPenney. It’s a shame, because the colors and pattern were lovely and they are very soft.

Anyhow, our foam configuration has stayed at (bottom-to-top) XF, F, S, M since we switched it not long after purchase. If I had to do it all over again, I’d go with what I originally liked best in the store which was XF, F, M, M (we have the Talalay latex). I was worried it would be too firm, but the Soft layer on top was just too squishy for us. If you like firm beds, trust your gut. All in all, it wasn’t worth the trouble for us to switch out the layer even though we are local to SleepEZ. I forgot about it, so I must be sleeping fine as-is! There are many mornings I do not want to get out of bed because I’m so comfortable.

Hi Maia,

It’s been a while :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to come back and share such a detailed 1 year + update on your SleepEz mattress and Tatami bedframe (and your sheets as well). I appreciate it and I think it will also be helpful for many of the forum members who are considering the same choices as you did :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your thorough review of your experience both with the mattress and the frame—and again for updating us a year later. It’s been a great help to my wife and me as we’ve been considering our options.

I’m considering the platform bed you ordered for a 12" Eastern King Latex mattress. Is it correct that the mattress sits 2" down into the recessed area of the bed? Is it hard to get the fitted sheet on the mattress because latex is heavy to lift out of the recessed area? My mattress will weigh 170 lbs. Or is it awkward getting your hands into the recessed corners?

You mentioned getting the mats if $ allows to make it easier to make your bed. I’m extremely sensitive to smells, so I wonder if the rush grass surface and rice straw core will have an odor? I have some grass rugs in my house and the smell kind of bothers me, so I don’t know if it’d be a good idea for me to buy the mats. On the other hand, I don’t want to buy a bed frame that is going to make it a hassle to make my bed in the morning. I’ve got a crummy back, so I don’t want to be lifting up a heavy mattress, etc… so I’d appreciate your input.

The photo you posted shows the platform bed and mattress without any bed linens. Do you tuck whatever linens that lay on top of your bed (bedspread/duvet/comforter) underneath the mattress, so everything looks neat and tidy? I do like that type of look, but again, I wonder if it makes it difficult to make up the bed in the morning. Or do you let your bedspread/comforter fall freely over the edge of the bed frame to the floor? I’m visual, so I’m trying to picture what it would look like.

Thanks for your help! Marla

Hi everyone,

I’m so sorry I never got back here to reply to you, Marla. It’s been a hectic year for us.

So it’s been 2 years now and the bed seems to just be getting more comfortable as time passes. The wool batting in the quilted cover is compressing in the areas we sleep making it appear like the bed has dips forming, but we can’t feel it at all when we lay in the bed, and when you unzip the cover the foam is perfect with no dips. We do occasionally rotate/flip the top layer of foam just to try to even any wear and prolong the life. Old habits die hard I guess. :wink:

The frame we bought is also perfect. It’s very solid and sturdy. The wood is beautiful, and it looks as good as new.

I just wanted to say that I would buy this bed again in a heartbeat. I am now in my last 8 weeks of pregnancy, and this bed has been a lifesaver. It’s really the only place I feel truly comfortable now. I don’t have any pressure points and my back doesn’t hurt in the morning. It feels like sleeping on a cloud. My husband doesn’t complain about his back anymore either. He seems to love it as much as I do. It doesn’t sleep hot for us and we live in a HOT climate.

Latex foam isn’t for everyone, but I have to say, I’m glad it worked for us. It does take time to get used to when you have been sleeping on a typical innerspring/polyfoam mattress for many years and are used to that feeling. It feels different and it can take time for your body to adjust. Unfortunately, I think it can potentially take longer than the rather generous return policies most of these retailers offer. But it gives you a chance to decide if you hate it. I kept Phoenix’s words in my head - something to the effect of if you are 80%+ happy with it, then that’s still pretty successful. This bed has aged wonderfully for us. Unlike a typical innerspring/polyfoam mattress that tends to feel great when it’s new and gets less comfortable with age, this bed has been the opposite. It’s only gotten better with use and time.

I have high hopes that this bed will last a very long time, and if/when it needs replacing, I hope SleepEZ is still around so we can buy another one. Best ~$3000 we’ve ever spent.

I am looking forward to purchasing one for our daughter in a couple years.

Hi Maia,

Thanks for taking the time to share another long term review of your mattress … I appreciate it!

It’s great to see that things are working out so well for you.

It also seems that a few things have happened since you were last here as well … congratulations on your “soon to be born” new baby :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Another thanks for Maia! I was thinking of this set up and decided to do a search. I’m so glad I found this thread. It solidified my thoughts and I will be ordering the Sleep EZ 10000 to place on the Tatami Platform bed in the next few days.

Thanks again!

Hi SeaAg07,

I think you are making some great choices … and congratulations on your new sleeping system :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you receive everything.

Phoenix

Thank you for your informative post, follow-ups and pictures. I’m looking for a platform bed of good quality without breaking the bank, and I think you’ve sold me on tatamiroom.com. Now to decide which of their beds to choose! I think I’m leaning toward one of their platform beds built without the 2" recess. I don’t think putting the tatami mats inside of the recess is the best option, as I was reading that the mats need to breathe for fear of mildew forming, so having a mattress on top of them might not be the best idea.

Thank you so much for your post! I have been searching for platform beds that are made from high quality materials and are affordable. The only one I had found was the Hiro bed from haiku designs.
I am planning on getting the Brooklyn bedding #bestmattressever (king size) based on Phoenix’s analysis of all the simplified choice mattress as well as all the great feedback here (I was also looking at the Love Bed).

The bed from tatamiroom is such a great option. Thanks again.

Hi matwhich,

You are certainly looking at a great quality/value option for your mattress.

While I certainly agree that the tatamiroom bed is a very nice choice … just in case you haven’t seen it there are also a few other platform beds listed at the end of the foundation post here that may also be worth considering.

Phoenix

Is there a recent no recess is preferred to with recess. Is the accessibility while making the bed the main issue? Thanks!

Thanks Phoenix! I am working my way through the list you posted - thats a useful list. Some of the choices seem very budget friendly ( e.g allbeds and a few others), however do you have any information on whether they use formaldehyde based glues or whether they are certified for lower emissions etc? I’m finding that info challenging to obtain.

Hi matwhich,

The recessed platform would have less potential for the mattress sliding (although this usually wouldn’t be an issue anyway) and the platform without the recess would be easier to make the bed. It’s really a preference choice.

Unfortunately I don’t know so you would need to check their websites or call or email and ask each of them about the type of glues that they used or any certifications they may have.

Phoenix

I will check and if I find anything of interest I will update this post.
So far:

I contacted Haiku designs :
Many of their beds are E1 certified. However, the bed I was interested in is the Hiro bed which is not E1 certified but it is Carb 2 compliant (which is the California standard for emissions and is pretty strict)… So that’s good. However, the slats are spaced 3.5 inches apart. I thought to use a mattress without box spring the slats should be not more than 3 inches apart. Is that right?

I contacted Tatami room:
Their slats are 2 inches apart so that is great. Their beds are also Carb compliant. They do use melamine in the finish of their beds and there is a small amount of formaldehyde in the finish. However, I was told the amount is below the Carb standard. Which is good. But I haven’t done too much research on melamine. I think melamine might be more of an issue with food ware than beds but I am not sure.

hope that helps somebody.

Hi matwhich,

For a mattress that uses a latex support core I would use 3" (or preferably less) as a guideline and for a mattress that uses a polyfoam support core I would use 5" (or preferably less) as a guideline. If you use the tatami mat then the 3.5" slat separation would be fine for latex as well.

As far as I know … the E1 certification and the Carb 2 certification are both for engineered or composite wood products that may be used in a bedframe and not for a complete bedframe itself or for solid wool products or for any glues that are used to manufacture a bedframe.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=54262]Hi matwhich,

[quote]I contacted Haiku designs :
Many of their beds are E1 certified. However, the bed I was interested in is the Hiro bed which is not E1 certified but it is Carb 2 compliant (which is the California standard for emissions and is pretty strict)… So that’s good. However, the slats are spaced 3.5 inches apart. I thought to use a mattress without box spring the slats should be not more than 3 inches apart. Is that right?[/quote]

For a mattress that uses a latex support core I would use 3" (or preferably less) as a guideline and for a mattress that uses a polyfoam support core I would use 5" (or preferably less) as a guideline. If you use the tatami mat then the 3.5" slat separation would be fine for latex as well.

Phoenix[/quote]

So for hybrid beds like brooklyn bedding bme or love bed what would you recommend? They have poly support foams so i’m thinking 5? However when i asked Mario he mentioned. 3 inches i think( if i remember correctly).

Thanks so much!

Hi matwhich,

It will depend to some degree on the specifics of the slats and also on the type of foam that is being used for the support core so a manufacturer is usually the best source of guidance because they will know their mattresses (and their warranty criteria) better than anyone else but in general terms with standard 1 x 3 slats I would suggest 5" as a maximum for a mattress that uses a polyfoam support core but smaller gaps would be better yet. 3.5" would be fine.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=54265]Hi matwhich,

It will depend to some degree on the specifics of the slats and also on the type of foam that is being used for the support core so a manufacturer is usually the best source of guidance because they will know their mattresses (and their warranty criteria) better than anyone else but in general terms with standard 1 x 3 slats I would suggest 5" as a maximum for a mattress that uses a polyfoam support core but smaller gaps would be better yet. 3.5" would be fine.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks so much Phoenix!